Prospect Info: Korshkov is coming over

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Why the hell did Hunter pass on him then?

That might be the reason Hunter didn't get the job. I wish Dubas just had taken some classes about contract negotiation or something...other than that I really like the dude. Can you name anyone of note from the draft classes that Hunter had that made any real impact besides Dermy and the other no brainer 1st rounders??(and he had Dubas at his side for that Dermy pick..so it wasn't all hunter)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The overage stuff kills me. I don't mind it once in a while but felt we've been doing it more then most. You get a Gunnarsson or a Palat yes, but often times you get Jack Walkers, guys that weren't taken before for a reason.

Feels like with the draft for a while there that Hunter was looking for a Shea Weber or something. I liked the Grundstrom pick, middle 6 forward looked promising.

When the overaged the stuff happen at the '16 draft it was said to be an analytically driven idea. People seemed ok with it then, now it's turned into "it's Hunter's fault".

Reactions: AppsSyl

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
He’s had terrible luck with injuries but everything I read about him makes me believe he has a shot to be a real player for the Leafs.

Keefe is one of the best at getting the most out of his players so let’s see what he can do with Korshkov.

I just worry about his injuries...I mean..the KHL is not exactly known for it rough and tumble play and this guy manages to be out 1/2 a season for the last 2 seasons. I hope it's just bad luck and not a Lupul type body frame.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That might be the reason Hunter didn't get the job. I wish Dubas just had taken some classes about contract negotiation or something...other than that I really like the dude. Can you name anyone of note from the draft classes that Hunter had that made any real impact besides Dermy and the other no brainer 1st rounders??(and he had Dubas at his side for that Dermy pick..so it wasn't all hunter)
Grundstrom will be a quality nhl player for the kings. Was a good pick by hunter and a good trade by dubas to get muzzin

Reactions: smitty10

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
When the overaged the stuff happen at the '16 draft it was said to be an analytically driven idea. People seemed ok with it then, now it's turned into "it's Hunter's fault".

I didn't understand it then and I still don't understand it no matter where it came from

People were reticent about picking overages so only the best guys were selected which bumped up the numbers of overages making the show

It wasn't that hard to understand why there might be a discrepancy

Reactions: smitty10

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Grundstrom will be a quality nhl player for the kings. Was a good pick by hunter and a good trade by dubas to get muzzin

Time will tell if he ends up being more than a bottom 6 player. I thought when he came over last year for the last part of the season that he would really take off this year...didn't really happen.

member 300185

It was a serious waste of a pick at the time with some star players still on the board.

And, he is just not a good player. Marlie for a few years then back to the KHL is what is going to happen. Book it.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I didn't like the Durzi or Hollowell picks, but at least Hollowell is making me look stupid so far

I could live with Gordeev, his offensive numbers suck but at least the kid can skate and McGregor was a 6th rounder so he's a prayer but he looks OK

Kral was decent value and has decent tools, i can understand that pick at leaast, we didn't pick for "type" i feel the same way about Stotts

I thought Hunter was average to slightly below, I had higher hopes for him if I'm being honest, he was billed as a "draft guru" so I probably expected to much out of him

May I ask what expectations exactly come with "draft guru" title? Hit on every pick?

Pretty much all of his top two round picks have a chance to be players, with the possible exception of Rasanen and we'll see with Korshkov now. Marner, Dermott, Liljegren, Grundstrom and Bracco are all pretty good I'd say.

Reactions: Jeypic

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I think we can safely put that idea to rest. I don't mind a couple of home run swings in the 6-7th round. I like going Russia/NCAA too, more time.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Would he have? Or is that just hindsight?

Not hindsight based off his current production but based off his drafting philosophy.

Dubas was very unlikely to pass on the 2x 50 goal scorer. To be fair though, I don't think the biggest Debrincat fan saw 37 goals (and counting) at age 21.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It was a serious waste of a pick at the time with some star players still on the board.

And, he is just not a good player. Marlie for a few years then back to the KHL is what is going to happen. Book it.

Hindsight is 50/50 but I don't know how you pass on Debrincat for a hit or miss player. He may have been available at our next pick at 57 or 62.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
May I ask what expectations exactly come with "draft guru" title? Hit on every pick?

Pretty much all of his top two round picks have a chance to be players, with the possible exception of Rasanen and we'll see with Korshkov now. Marner, Dermott, Liljegren, Grundstrom and Bracco are all pretty good I'd say.

His work in the 1st and 2nd was good but unless we take Bracco who's a serious question mark still we have nothing even close to decent behind that from his time here

I thought he would do better because of how good he did do in London, I was wrong

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Out of every single pick in the Shanhan era, this one made me the saltiest. Everyone knew how good Debrincat was prior to the draft. With that being said i hope Korshkov is able to be a useful NHL player one day and make me eat crow.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think we can safely put that idea to rest. I don't mind a couple of home run swings in the 6-7th round. I like going Russia/NCAA too, more time.

Actually, I was looking into Russia, and I have found that in most cases, Russia does not produce a lot of talent. They have nice team control, but most don't pan out unless they are already consistently in a pro league or are dominating international competition by the time they are drafted. Otherwise, most of the good Russians were in the CHL when they were drafted.

EDIT: I should add, goalies are somewhat of an exception as well. If they do well in the MHL, then there is a good chance they could make it somewhere... But most of the time the good ones do well in international competitions as well so we are talking about maybe one or two true exceptions.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
His work in the 1st and 2nd was good but unless we take Bracco who's a serious question mark still we have nothing even close to decent behind that from his time here

I thought he would do better because of how good he did do in London, I was wrong

Well there's the two goalies as well, we will see on them. People seem to like them at this point.

Reactions: Jeypic

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Man, there's a lot of people on these boards who can't get over the past.

I know we're all here to discuss stuff. But jeez, you can pretty much always find better players lower in the draft way after the fact.

It's happened, let's see what this guys brings over the next year-18mnths.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well there's the two goalies as well, we will see on them. People seem to like them at this point.

I don't even try to predict goalies, there complete voodoo even though I like both of those kids

I still don't know why he didn't take Mete instead of Brooks, he was a London kid as well

Whoever made that decision, be it the analytics department or Hunter they seriously screwed up

Reactions: IPS

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Good luck.
100% correct! Stop it with this trading of Zaitsev! I know you understand the vast quantities of Scotch that have to be tossed into the trade.

Question: If we want to get rid of a player because of what we see as non NHL scouts as a problem with their game, why would not professional NHL scouts not see the same problem? With these players we are stuck

Professional scouting, videos of the players, basic Windows '95 computer programs, have rendered the sucker trade impossible. Leafs Nation needs to learn: Leafs question marks not being traded for all-stars, ever, or even draft picks, or anything at all, that is not how trades are made.

If I were an NHL GM and you wanted me to take Zaitsev off your hands, I will need copious amounts of Highland Park. Certainly not J & B - Yuk!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad