Prospect Info: Korshkov is coming over

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If we get a top 9F or a bottom pair D I'd be happy

I can't say I've particularly liked any of our drafts since 2016, we've got some nice players but we've done some headscratching stuff

Giant defenseman, overager, guys that can't skate, gigantic reaches
Just why?

The overage stuff kills me. I don't mind it once in a while but felt we've been doing it more then most. You get a Gunnarsson or a Palat yes, but often times you get Jack Walkers, guys that weren't taken before for a reason.

Feels like with the draft for a while there that Hunter was looking for a Shea Weber or something. I liked the Grundstrom pick, middle 6 forward looked promising.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
He’s had terrible luck with injuries but everything I read about him makes me believe he has a shot to be a real player for the Leafs.

Keefe is one of the best at getting the most out of his players so let’s see what he can do with Korshkov.

Reactions: teddygmr

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Forget points for the time being.
We need to see what kind of game he has for North America, the AHL and the NHL.

If skill lives there, then it should find a way to hold a role in some capacity. Be it a Brown/Leivo/whatever replacement down the line.

He needs a look see in a new environment.

Alright. Sure he may turn into something, who knows. But im not seeing anything to get excited over at this point.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I guess 7 other GM's still passed on him but those are the times you just really gotta wonder what Lou/Hunter really did know about OHL talent compared to Dubas.
I don't mind not getting the best player available, but they did make a massive reach. There were lots of other good players available then. Hunter was decent, but not the draft guru he's made out to be. I think Dubas is better to be honest, and he seems to know how to develop players too

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The overage stuff kills me. I don't mind it once in a while but felt we've been doing it more then most. You get a Gunnarsson or a Palat yes, but often times you get Jack Walkers, guys that weren't taken before for a reason.

Feels like with the draft for a while there that Hunter was looking for a Shea Weber or something. I liked the Grundstrom pick, middle 6 forward looked promising.

Picking an overager who's really shown something and exploded after his draft year is one thing, just picking them for no apparent reason drives me nuts and I can't understand the reasoning

The giant defenseman that had no discernable offense or with almost no skating ability still makes me shake my head still, your not going anywhere without those skills

Grundstrom was solid, Dermott was excellent but other than Bracco and Liljegren it's not looking good behind them for Hunter, Sandin looks good and Hollowell is going great but what else do we have realistically other than potential goaltenders who are voodoo?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Picking an overager who's really shown something and exploded after his draft year is one thing, just picking them for no apparent reason drives me nuts and I can't understand the reasoning

The giant defenseman that had no discernable offense or with almost no skating ability still makes me shake my head still, your not going anywhere without those skills

Grundstrom was solid, Dermott was excellent but other than Bracco and Liljegren it's not looking good behind them for Hunter, Sandin looks good and Hollowell is going great but what else do we have realistically other than potential goaltenders who are voodoo?

That draft where we picked all big D with no skills was such a joke. Both at the time and now with hindsight. Just brutal drafting.

Greenway, Middleton, Bobylev, Mattinen. Sort by size and draft.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't mind not getting the best player available, but they did make a massive reach. There were lots of other good players available then. Hunter was decent, but not the draft guru he's made out to be. I think Dubas is better to be honest, and he seems to know how to develop players too
True but it really shows how primitive-minded some of the other management groups are around the league, because you just know that Debrincat being 5'7" 160lbs deterred them completely despite similar talents flooding into the league in recent years.

Doesn't even matter if you have a group that lacks size, he can always be developed into a valuable asset one way or another.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
That draft where we picked all big D with no skills was such a joke. Both at the time and now with hindsight. Just brutal drafting.

Funny right? Now people complain we are too small, but yet the guys are skilled. Sandin listed at 5f11 is wrong now for sure, just watch Marlies game and Timmy is apparently 6foot if that's the case Sandin has grown several inches. Anyway just funny I think, many posters complaining we are too small, yet pretty much all the big boys we've drafted in the last decade haven't made the NHL

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I remember watching us do that and I still don't know what the hell we were thinking

I can still remember going nuts because we passed on Mete, the kid was offensively gifted and could skate, he wasn't 6'6 though so who wants that ****?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

The Durzi pick frustrated me.

Fedor Gordeev is a fun project, key word being project. He's gonna need 2-3 years in the AHL for sure.

Ryan McGregor might be a Jay Beagle type for us, not a sexy pick but useful.

Keep an eye out on Filip Kral, started off the year coming off injury and really underweight but if he can do some good work in the gym, he could be something.

Overall though? I agree with you.

Reactions: smitty10 and Kiwi

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I guess you could say Timashov and Lindgren are not doing too bad from the 2015 draft. Kara and McGregor from the 2017 draft are also doing about as well as you would hope too. I also would say it is too early to call it quits on Greenway, because his coach in Wisconsin held him at high regard and he just needed mental maturity more than skills. He had offensive, skating and puck moving ability when he was drafted. Also too early to quit on Rasanen, because he still looks like he could be a great defenseman for the Leafs some day.

I'm not upset that Hunter is gone though. He was mediocre at best, and the guys who helped him even get that far are still around. I think Dubas made some questionable picks himself, but given how much time he had to prepare, and what he was able to make out of one of his most questionable picks in the end (Durzi), I am looking forward to seeing what he can do this time around. I have a feeling he's not going to lean into too many OA picks, at least near the top, and will trust the CHL (and maybe the Euro/NCAA) FA market (besides a few guys we already have in the system) to bridge the 97'-99' age gap that Hunter created. There are not too many great OA's to pick anyways, and even then, I can him going after NCAA/Europeans who need some time to develop rather than CHL OA's again.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Fedor Gordeev is a fun project, key word being project. He's gonna need 2-3 years in the AHL for sure.

Keep an eye out on Filip Kral, started off the year coming off injury and really underweight but if he can do some good work in the gym, he could be something.

I didn't like the Durzi or Hollowell picks, but at least Hollowell is making me look stupid so far

I could live with Gordeev, his offensive numbers suck but at least the kid can skate and McGregor was a 6th rounder so he's a prayer but he looks OK

Kral was decent value and has decent tools, i can understand that pick at leaast, we didn't pick for "type" i feel the same way about Stotts

I guess you could say Timashov and Lindgren are not doing too bad from the 2015 draft. Kara and McGregor from the 2017 draft are also doing about as well as you would hope too. I also would say it is too early to call it quits on Greenway, because his coach in Wisconsin held him at high regard and he just needed mental maturity more than skills. He had offensive, skating and puck moving ability when he was drafted. Also too early to quit on Rasanen, because he still looks like he could be a great defenseman for the Leafs some day.

I'm not upset that Hunter is gone though. He was mediocre at best, and the guys who helped him even get that far are still around. I think Dubas made some questionable picks himself, but given how much time he had to prepare, and what he was able to make out of one of his most questionable picks in the end (Durzi), I am looking forward to seeing what he can do this time around. I have a feeling he's not going to lean into too many OA picks, at least near the top, and will trust the CHL (and maybe the Euro/NCAA) FA market (besides a few guys we already have in the system) to bridge the 97'-99' age gap that Hunter created. There are not too many great OA's to pick early on anyways, and even as you get later, I wouldn't be shocked if the Leafs just ignore OA's until maybe the 5th-7th round.

I thought Hunter was average to slightly below, I had higher hopes for him if I'm being honest, he was billed as a "draft guru" so I probably expected to much out of him

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

The good news is that Sandin, Stotts, Kral, Hollowell, Holmberg and Kizimov are all doing about as well as you could hope. Durzi was looking iffy, and then was dealt, so good on Dubas for using him instead of a pick. SDA will hopefully be able to turn things around, but who knows with Peterborough. At least he'll get some Marlies exposure. Bouthillier just needs to hope that Saint John can turn things around. They are an extremely skilled team, but they are young. Saint John will have the assets, both in terms of expendable prospects and picks, to add some quality vet talent to compliment their young core, and since Bouthillier likely gets an ATO from the Marlies to come and learn some things, maybe he can experience something similar to what Scott experienced last year (to some degree). Saint John should be very competitive, and he'll be their starter IMO.

Let's see what Dubas can do this year. I just hope he does not feel the need to get fancy. There should not really be a need to take on projects at all in rounds 2-5, unless there is a project in round 4 or 5 who maybe can turn into a really great player (i.e. 2nd round quality). And in round 7, there will be some quality OA's at the very least, or some guys who will almost certainly slip under the radar out of Europe and the NCAA I have seen, that will be a lot better than looking at guys like Bouthillier.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Alright. Sure he may turn into something, who knows. But im not seeing anything to get excited over at this point.
Which is a good thing. Keeps expectations level.
People are throwing Dermott/Sandin/Lily/Oz all into the top 6 D with no issues. Things take time.

Let’s see how Moore/Baptiste/Korshkov/etc. all progress and battle for spots.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
No. You move Kapanen for future picks. We have no cap space to bring anyone back.
I'm thinking a combination of picks from the 2020 draft and beyond. Maybe a top 5 protected 1st and a 2nd and a 5th. Something like that.

If we gotta trade one for a pick I'd go for 10th-15th overall to selection arthur kaliyev. Unless the rankings changed, he should be there and hed look like a great value, high end winger to pair with Matthews. Perhaps right away or in the very near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad