Prospect Info: Korshkov is coming over

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
be interested in seeing him play. We do not need scoring wingers right now but we sure can use some effective size.

I think a few wingers won't be around next year, Brown...maybe Marleau and 1 of Nylander or Kappy. Salary and the need to bring in a defenseman.

Reactions: diceman934

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That is what you have to do. Kapanen is playing in a contract year. If he's not going to sign a good contract, it would be the perfect time to trade him and get a player with more control or in a position of need.

Leafs cannot afford to keep both Johnsson and Kapanen unless they sign great deals. If I had a choice, I am keeping Johnsson over Kapanen.

Leafs don't need more offense. They are fine in that department. Give Moore his spot as he's got another 2 years at a cheap cap hit and he's got game.
Selling high on him is the comment I took exception with. I also disagree with keeping Johnsson over Kappy. Johnsson has had concussion issues and is not as useful overall. Kappy is also stronger and faster.

Johnsson has arbitration rights making him even a better candidate to move. The only reason I can see for trading Kappy over Johnsson is that he would return more as he seen as the better younger player. Kappy has more control left as well.

Selling high would mean letting the player develop fully and then sell him off.

Brown is gone for sure as well as we will move Zaitsev and if we can convince Marleau to retire we can trade his contract to a team wanting to reach the floor along with a fringe prospect or a later pick.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Zaitsev isn't going anywhere and neither is Marleau

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Capfriendly says Timashov is waiver eligible next year.

is that from his first callup, or the october deadline?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
And where does the cap space come from to bring back a d?
Muzzin coming here basically ended us being able to grab a d from Carolina unless they're taking back Marleau as well.

Kapanen or Johnsson's salaries next year are at least at 2.8+ million, so if it's Pesce for example, only have to find 1.2 million of cap space.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
That is what you have to do. Kapanen is playing in a contract year. If he's not going to sign a good contract, it would be the perfect time to trade him and get a player with more control or in a position of need.

Leafs cannot afford to keep both Johnsson and Kapanen unless they sign great deals. If I had a choice, I am keeping Johnsson over Kapanen.

Leafs don't need more offense. They are fine in that department. Give Moore his spot as he's got another 2 years at a cheap cap hit and he's got game.

No. You move Kapanen for future picks. We have no cap space to bring anyone back.
I'm thinking a combination of picks from the 2020 draft and beyond. Maybe a top 5 protected 1st and a 2nd and a 5th. Something like that.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
No. You move Kapanen for future picks. We have no cap space to bring anyone back.
I'm thinking a combination of picks from the 2020 draft and beyond. Maybe a lottery protected 1st and a 2nd and a 5th. Something like that.

We have no cap space to bring anyone back.

If you move Zaitsev, yes you can.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Every fan base thinks they will move their least beneficial contracts.

And it almost never happens.

If Z is moved we need another RD which is hard to acquire.

Reactions: Jeypic

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
I still remember everyone's reaction to when we drafted this guy. "Ummm who did we just draft?" Lol. I'll admit I was very surprised that they didn't draft someone who was actually ranked to go in the 2nd round.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Hopefully he can get back on track next year that broken leg last year ruined it for him. I think our conditioning team can really help him

Reactions: teddygmr

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I would presume hes going straight to the Marlies.

Leafs dont have room for him, and its not like Babcock is going to play him at this point in the season.

I'll be interested to see if he can make the team next year. I dont believe hes even attended a development camp, has he?

Reactions: Menzinger

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Never make definitive statements when you don't need to.
uhhh, isn't this sort of a definitive statement???:laugh:
Korshkov will be with the Marlies for a while. Don't see why there are so many posters thinking he will just make the Leafs. First he has to have a spectacular season in the A, then Babs will either sit him in the pressbox, or put him on the 4th line if he is lucky.
I'm glad he is coming (if he really is) thought it was a wasted pick for quite a while.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We don't sell high on Kapanen now. He's getting a stronger reputation, but he's still not in a position to demand a big contract and he's still not getting any PP time. Selling high would be getting him on a two year deal for cheap and then giving him a ton of PP time in the last year. Move him as an RFA about to get a big deal after a season he might never match again.

Right now, and I suspect over their next contracts, Kapanen and Johnsson are likely to give us tremendous value per cap dollar.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
uhhh, isn't this sort of a definitive statement???:laugh:
Korshkov will be with the Marlies for a while. Don't see why there are so many posters thinking he will just make the Leafs. First he has to have a spectacular season in the A, then Babs will either sit him in the pressbox, or put him on the 4th line if he is lucky.
I'm glad he is coming (if he really is) thought it was a wasted pick for quite a while.

Stating that Marleau and Zaitsev will be 100% here next year at this point just isn't a statement I would make right now. Who the hell knows what the future holds for them?

I would be surprised if Korshkov just joined the Leafs roster out of the KHL...it would make sense that he gets his first taste of NA hockey in the AHL first. I guess we should also keep an eye on Dakota Joshua too, seems to be mutual interest between he and the Leafs.

I actually think he's a dark horse to be a good 4C for the future. Strong kid, physical, goes to the net and damned hard to move. Saw he had a slow start and then went off for like 16 pts in 16GP or something.

ELC or an end of season ATO?

I would guess ELC.

Reactions: Macallan18

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If he could play 3rd line for us and be a good-2way presence that does board work and goes to the net etc, I would be pretty happy.

He obviously isn't Debrincat but just hoping to get a useful player.

If he can do board work and keep up (which I think he can reading about his skating) and do a job defensively I wouldn't mind having a look at him as a 3rd wheel type on a scoring line

That's a best case though

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If he can do board work and keep up (which I think he can reading about his skating) and do a job defensively I wouldn't mind having a look at him as a 3rd wheel type on a scoring line

That's a best case though

Babcock does like a grinder on each line so that is a role I could see for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad