Prospect Info: Korshkov is coming over

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Finally. I've seen him. Play couple of times. Wasn't disappointing.
We must have caught different games. I've watched him a few times too, and I was consistently underwhelmed. Really wanted him to be good, especially considering the options available at that point.

Sounds about right.
Yeah. 22-year olds who don't produce well at the AHL level rarely amount to anything.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Actually aren't you a half inch bigger when you wake up?

Ask laine nation about that. There were multiple pages in threads by Finnish posters saying it was unfair he was measured in the afternoon at the draft combine, multiple!. And they were talking like he would be 6’8” in the morning instead of 6’5” he ended up at. It was such a strange time around here for that draft

Reactions: nobody

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah I'm sure that's his motive.

Sounds like Brown, but he's public enemy #1 around here.

Sounds nothing like brown, poster said GOOD 2way game. Even browns defensive game hasn’t been good lately and that should be his bread and butter

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah I'm sure that's his motive.

Sounds like Brown, but he's public enemy #1 around here.
Good board work plus good shot (D can be worked on) sounds like Leivo. He could have been kept much cheaper than Brown. And already an NHL player now.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
We must have caught different games. I've watched him a few times too, and I was consistently underwhelmed. Really wanted him to be good, especially considering the options available at that point.

Yeah. 22-year olds who don't produce well at the AHL level rarely amount to anything.
sounds about right.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
lindgren will be a marlie again this spring, and for a full time basis this fall.

Interesting forgotten prospect

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
lindgren will be a marlie again this spring, and for a full time basis this fall.

Interesting forgotten prospect

He's been a workhorse Finnish league playing a ton of minutes. Should be interesting to see how he does at the AHL level over the course of a season.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Gotta admit, never thought he'd come over. Glad to see he's made that choice and now I have more reasons to watch the Marlies.

Any ideas where he'll fit into that line-up?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Gotta admit, never thought he'd come over. Glad to see he's made that choice and now I have more reasons to watch the Marlies.

Any ideas where he'll fit into that line-up?

That will depend entirely on how he plays. It's a bit of a mystery how he'll fit in. Sounds like a prospect that needs minutes to play up to his potential. He wasn't/isn't getting many minutes in the KHL.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
That will depend entirely on how he plays. It's a bit of a mystery how he'll fit in. Sounds like a prospect that needs minutes to play up to his potential. He wasn't/isn't getting many minutes in the KHL.
Plus he needs to make the international --> North American ice switch which varies in difficulty for players. Just happy that this pick now has a chance to not be a total bust.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He's been a workhorse Finnish league playing a ton of minutes. Should be interesting to see how he does at the AHL level over the course of a season.

Yup. He's a guy I wonder if the leafs could use as a long term option on the blueline as a 3rd pairing cheap guy.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Good board work plus good shot (D can be worked on) sounds like Leivo. He could have been kept much cheaper than Brown. And already an NHL player now.
That's not what he said at all. He said 3rd liner with good 2 way presence, good board work and goes to the net. Brown and Leivo are completely different players because Leivo had no 2 way prescence at all, just good board work and a nice shot. I have no idea what type of player Korshkov is.

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
You know, when one looks at the Leafs' draft record in the past 20 friggin' years, it becomes almost curious as to why we even bother drafting Russian players. I really don't mean to sound like Cherry but seriously what's the point. Look it up - in the past 20 drafts, Kulemin is the only pick out of Russia that amounted to anything. Why not take some project Swedes or Fins, we seem to have much better luck with those?!?! (and they usually don't threaten you with going back to the KHL)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Petan needs waivers too, so does Moore. Going to be an interesting camp.

Petan and Moore will be on the roster, so I'm not worried about them.

With Timashov..... it sorta depends on what happens with Marleau/Brown and then maybe there is a spot open, but he'd be competing with Marchment, Engvall, Korshkov, Bracco etc

So my gut tells me he'd be one on waivers, and I'm not sure if he'd be claimed or not, just because most teams have players like him, and it's not like he's tearing the AHL apart like a Bracco.

I said before, but Timashov is a guy I can see being included in a deal due to his waiver status, and I think there is potential there, but I don't think he's ever going to get the chance here due to our depth.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Petan and Moore will be on the roster, so I'm not worried about them.

With Timashov..... it sorta depends on what happens with Marleau/Brown and then maybe there is a spot open, but he'd be competing with Marchment, Engvall, Korshkov, Bracco etc

So my gut tells me he'd be one on waivers, and I'm not sure if he'd be claimed or not, just because most teams have players like him, and it's not like he's tearing the AHL apart like a Bracco.

I said before, but Timashov is a guy I can see being included in a deal due to his waiver status, and I think there is potential there, but I don't think he's ever going to get the chance here due to our depth.
He is a solid AHL player. It is hard to know if his game will translate to NHL. But with Babs in charge he will never get a chance.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You know, when one looks at the Leafs' draft record in the past 20 friggin' years, it becomes almost curious as to why we even bother drafting Russian players. I really don't mean to sound like Cherry but seriously what's the point. Look it up - in the past 20 drafts, Kulemin is the only pick out of Russia that amounted to anything. Why not take some project Swedes or Fins, we seem to have much better luck with those?!?! (and they usually don't threaten you with going back to the KHL)

Since 1994, here are the players drafted out of Russia.

Sergei Berezin,
Dani Markov

Vladimir Antipov
Sergei Rostov
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Nik Antropov

Vladimir Kulikov
Alexander Shinkar
Konstantin Volkov
Maxim Semenov
Dmitry Vorobiev
Nikolay Kulemin
2007-2014 No Players Selected from Russia
Martins Dzierkals
Yegor Korshkov - Too Soon to Tell
Nikolai Chebykin - Too Soon
Vladislav Kara - Too Soon
Semyon Kizimov - Too Soon

So prior to 2007 when we drafted out of Russia, we had a 42% success rate which is very good. Dzierkals was a miss, and the 4 more recent ones are too soon to say either way.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad