Prospect Info: Kole Lind, Pt. II | Is not being taken, etcetera

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Quotes please.

Also wtf is that even suppose to mean? Are Canuck fans not allowed to excited about their prospects ?

I'm not searching for quotes, you can debunk me if you like, if I'm wrong then I'll be wrong. When did I say people can't be excited about prospects?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm not searching for quotes, you can debunk me if you like, if I'm wrong then I'll be wrong. When did I say people can't be excited about prospects?

I shouldn’t have to debunk because you said others have said he is better. I will like to see quote of that, if not that’s putting words into people’s mouths at the cost of trying to add more salt into kole lind fans.

Also the shiny new toy statement is an mockery of another fan base that is excited about a prospect that’s why I ask if you had a problem Canuck fans supporting jet woo.

This is why I asked for quotes. In my mind I don’t think anyone actually said he was better.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I shouldn’t have to debunk because you said others have said he is better. I will like to see quote of that, if not that’s putting words into people’s mouths at the cost of trying to add more salt into kole lind fans.

Also the shiny new toy statement is an mockery of another fan base that is excited about a prospect that’s why I ask if you had a problem Canuck fans supporting jet woo.

This is why I asked for quotes. In my mind I don’t think anyone actually said he was better.
Oh, there was definitely some of that going on, @50 Sheas of Grey just posted the evidence. This sort of thing always goes on with fans and prospects though, fans sort of adopt them and can't let go. Look at the Leaf fans coming over here with their attachment to Josh Leivo; he was drafted what, seven-eight years ago?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Oh, there was definitely some of that going on, @50 Sheas of Grey just posted the evidence. This sort of thing always goes on with fans and prospects though, fans sort of adopt them and can't let go. Look at the Leaf fans coming over here with their attachment to Josh Leivo; he was drafted what, seven-eight years ago?

Yea? Got a quote ? What did you see in 6 minutes ?

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Do you think Lind couldn't put up numbers in juniors this year?

Glass may well fall on his face when he turns pro too. We will see.

You need to watch Glass closer. People are salty because he's not Pettersson, but he's still an excellent prospect. He is more likely to jump to the NHL in his first pro season than to fall on his face.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
What? I thought you wanted to play hero? Then why bother responding.
My original post was more of an observation than anything.

I just can't be bothered digging up posts for you tiger. As far as it goes, M2B and Vansomethingorother made posts to the effect of Lind>Glass and I only spent 30 seconds looking, tops.

Reactions: lawrence

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Glass is back in juniors this season. Lind is still ahead of him for now.
I know it's just preseason, but Cody Glass was productive and very much looked the part during preseason. IIRC he had more than one multipoint game, and IMO he very much looks like a kid who is unlikely to see the AHL at all.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
None of this contradicts what I said.

Yes, because in prospect development nothing is certain. I'm just letting you know your take is terrible and you should probably re-assess the factors that led you to make it. I can't contradict anything as it is all speculation based on watching prospects.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
MacEwan is 2 years older than Lind... I'll give the kid a bit more time. The initial transition to the AHL isn't always immediately easy for everyone, Virtanen had a difficult time and he's turning into a decent NHL player. Lind is another big kid and has played a grand total of 13 games in the AHL.
The jump from the WHL to AHL is massive. It just goes to show how hard it is to break into pro hockey.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So I was overhyped on Lind last year big deal i learned my lesson kinda the brutal way this year. Sorry for those offended, looking back it was an insane opinion to have, I guess there was a LOT more I need to know about prospects. Which cant be overemphasized enough

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yes, because in prospect development nothing is certain. I'm just letting you know your take is terrible and you should probably re-assess the factors that led you to make it. I can't contradict anything as it is all speculation based on watching prospects.

What take? That Lind is playing ahl while glass is in juniors? That's not a take, it's a fact. I never said one was "better" than the other. I've no interest in that, but it's a stone cold fact that one graduated to a tougher level and struggled while the other has continued easy dominance of children.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
What take? That Lind is playing ahl while glass is in juniors? That's not a take, it's a fact. I never said one was "better" than the other. I've no interest in that, but it's a stone cold fact that one graduated to a tougher level and struggled while the other has continued easy dominance of children.

'Lind is still ahead of him now'

Unless you're purposefully being obtuse, that is a pretty clear statement you started with.

Congrats on putting forward RMB level posts just so you can make stupid semantic arguments. "I meant he's ahead because he plays in a higher league, not the standard interpretation that he's a better prospect! I just wanted to let people know they play in different leagues"

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Unless you're purposefully being obtuse, that is a pretty clear statement you started with.

Congrats on putting forward RMB level posts just so you can make stupid semantic arguments. "I meant he's ahead because he plays in a higher league, not the standard interpretation that he's a better prospect! I just wanted to let people know they play in different leagues"

I said he's ahead for now. Not my fault you can't read.

Reactions: timw33

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

If I could intervene, I think he just means he's ahead on the development path for now, not as a prospect and as evidenced by this thread last year to this, pro hockey is the great equalizer.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If I could intervene, I think he just means he's ahead on the development path for now, not as a prospect and as evidenced by this thread last year to this, pro hockey is the great equalizer.

Yes, thank you.

Interested to see how Glass does when he turns pro. He has nothing to prove at this level. Nor did Lind.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I like how all the comments along the lines of "hey don't you understand? any 20 year old who doesn't excel in the AHL right away is a failed prospect!!" are meant to be in jest but what's not understood is that statement is actually true.

Reactions: MS

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
The thing that bothers me about prospect evaluation (and just about everything else) these days is there's no middle ground.
It's no longer okay to take a wait-and-see approach in our hot-take world.
You've got to stake out your position and defend it with absolute rigidity, and anyone who disagrees with you is a fool.

I guess I've seen enough prospect development over the years to know that a prospect isn't a writeoff this early into his career.
As a guy like Ryan Kesler showed, it can take years before you know a guy's true floor and ceiling. Ryan's 2003-04 AHL debut saw him score three goals and 11 points in 33 games with the Manitoba Moose (after a year of university hockey). There were times early in his NHL career where he was written off as a fast checking forward with a shot that couldn't break glass.

It is concerning that Kole hasn't hit the ground running, but there's plenty of time for him to figure things out.
Many scouts and coaches will tell you that the Christmas break can be a game changer for a young kid, as they get the chance to mentally and physically reset. So the first thing I want to see is how he looks coming out of whatever break the Comets get.
I'll adjust my opinion slightly based on that information and continue to adjust my opinion up or down based on reports out of Utica, good and bad.
Most importantly, I'll be interested to see how he looks next September entering his second pro season. If he goes away for the summer and puts work into fixing his deficiencies, and comes back as a much improved player, then the equation is changed.
If he still struggles to not just play but be an impact player at the AHL level at that point, then he will be skating on thin ice in my eyes.

edit: I will say that statistically, the Lind doubters are very much correct. Just bouncing around the stats sites trying to find someone in the NHL who struggled badly in the AHL, and haven't found any yet.
Other than maybe a guy on our own roster, Jake Virtanen.
Jake Virtanen hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com
Nine goals and 19 points in 65 games in 2016-17 and now a capable third liner at the big-league level. Obviously he has some physical traits that Lind does not, so that comparison might not be viable.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChilliBilly

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Go to the main boards and make a post saying 'Kole Lind is ahead of Cody Glass for now'. The issue is your imprecise language, not my reading

I don't give two f***s about the main board cesspool. The main board is like reddit or YouTube, full of teenagers posting mindless unfunny memes.

I'm sorry you didn't get what I meant. Other posters obviously did. Let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad