Prospect Info: Kole Lind, Pt. II | Is not being taken, etcetera

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Some players are able to mask those deficiencies in juniors. From what I can remember, Lind wasn’t struggling to keep up in the WHL, but I could be wrong. I didn’t watch him that much but when I saw him live for a few games, he looked fine.

Pros are just a step above, and the NHL is a few steps above that yet. This is very concerning news. This isn’t a “needing adjustment to pro hockey” type of thing. You can either keep up to the speed of play or you can’t. There is no adjustment needed for that. There is for decision making etc.

The concerns I’m hearing about, isn’t very encouraging for basically a first round pick. While it’s still early, he clearly has a long road ahead of him. Couple years at minimum.

Caught a few Rockets games last year and my impression was that Dube was the star on the rockets and the main driver on the top line. Saw a game live where Kole Lind got 3 points, but you saw deficiencies with his quickness and skating - also seemed like a player that had already physically matured at that stage. On one of his goals, he had nearly 4 seconds to tee up a shot. You see this often in the CHL, but the AHL is a major step up where you have to operate in tight quarters and anticipate the game better.

Reminds me of another Canucks prospect back in the day - Dan Gendur. Impressive D+1 season but you could tell he was not NHL material due to his crappy skating. It was super evident during his AHL stint (11 games) he had no future in the AHL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Caught a few Rockets games last year and my impression was that Dube was the star on the rockets and the main driver on the top line. Saw a game live where Kole Lind got 3 points, but you saw deficiencies with his quickness and skating - also seemed like a player that had already physically matured at that stage. On one of his goals, he had nearly 4 seconds to tee up a shot. You see this often in the CHL, but the AHL is a major step up where you have to operate in tight quarters and anticipate the game better.

Reminds me of another Canucks prospect back in the day - Dan Gendur. Impressive D+1 season but you could tell he was not NHL material due to his crappy skating. It was super evident during his AHL stint (11 games) he had no future in the AHL.

Lind was a bit older than your average player in his D+1 season.

I don't see the comparison with Dan Gendur at all. Gendur was an overager in his D+1 season. Gendur played in a different era but his skating (straight ahead speed) was actually his strength. But that 2006-2007 team he played on. Great WHL team but what terrible player development.

Reactions: lawrence

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
another prospect being trashed. Niiiiiiiiice.

He’s garbage. If he can ever be a middling AHL player that would be a win at this point.

People get excited about the wrong guys. Zack MacEwen is actually a legit prospect we should see in the NHL this year but people are still more interested in crap like Lind.

Reactions: GoodBetterBoest

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It’s way more typical of hfboards to value prospects for far too long and give them way too many chances simply because they were a high pick or were good in junior. Overall this place doesn’t give up on prospects soon enough.

This x1000.

The most hfboards thing ever is thinking that Kole Lind is a great prospect because he was drafted 33rd overall and clinging to him forever while ignoring guys who were undrafted but are actually tracking well.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think many GMs have the same problem. A smart GM would be constantly dealing prospects who hit a wall when they hit pro for younger prospects or picks. Similar to the Forsling-Clendening trade. Sure you might get burned eventually by a player that “figures it out” after multiple AHL seasons but I bet you end up more than making up for it by not clinging to every draft pick until they prove themselves as busts.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
People said that about Alex Burrows and look how he turned out.

Alex Burrows was a nobody who excelled from the second he set foot in the AHL. Like MacEwen.

Lind is a high draft pick who can’t skate and is rubbish. If you look at Cam Darcy for the Comets right now, that’s Lind’s reasonable ceiling.

Reactions: timw33

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think many GMs have the same problem. A smart GM would be constantly dealing prospects who hit a wall when they hit pro for younger prospects or picks. Similar to the Forsling-Clendening trade. Sure you might get burned eventually by a player that “figures it out” after multiple AHL seasons but I bet you end up more than making up for it by not clinging to every draft pick until they prove themselves as busts.

I've been banging this drum for years. It's scary to do because 5% of the time the player will actually turn it around and the media/fanbase will crucify you even though the other 95% of the time you will be getting value for players who are junk.

It's why I loved the Griffin Reinhart trade so much. It's easy to laugh at the Oilers without appreciating how ballsy it was for the Islanders to "give up" on a highly-touted first round draft pick and reset the prospect clock by getting some new picks. If we could similarly deal Juolevi for a first I would be all the f*** over that right now

Reactions: Dissonance Jr

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've been banging this drum for years. It's scary to do because 5% of the time the player will actually turn it around and the media/fanbase will crucify you even though the other 95% of the time you will be getting value for players who are junk.

It's why I loved the Griffin Reinhart trade so much. It's easy to laugh at the Oilers without appreciating how ballsy it was for the Islanders to "give up" on a highly-touted first round draft pick and reset the prospect clock by getting some new picks. If we could similarly deal Juolevi for a first I would be all the **** over that right now

Yup.

Right now a smart GM would be seeing what we could get for Juolevi and Lind. Honestly, getting a late-round pick for Lind would be a win.

Problem is the stupidest GM most likely to do it is our GM.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Ideally you would look to package Lind with a vet to "trade up" a level of prospect or pick. Maybe an opposing GM will take a flyer on a prospect's contract as a sweetener to extract a bit more value out of a deadline deal.

The Canucks are building a pretty good core here and need the right assets to round out the roster, and quality is more important than quantity. More Goldobins and Baertschis aren't what we need going forward.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He’s garbage. If he can ever be a middling AHL player that would be a win at this point.

People get excited about the wrong guys. Zack MacEwen is actually a legit prospect we should see in the NHL this year but people are still more interested in crap like Lind.

Your vocabulary in describing players: turd; trash; stupid; moron; crap; rubbish...

Have you watched yourself play hockey?

Lind is not a bad hockey player.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Ideally you would look to package Lind with a vet to "trade up" a level of prospect or pick. Maybe an opposing GM will take a flyer on a prospect's contract as a sweetener to extract a bit more value out of a deadline deal.

The Canucks are building a pretty good core here and need the right assets to round out the roster, and quality is more important than quantity. More Goldobins and Baertschis aren't what we need going forward.

That would be pretty unusual, wouldn't it? So you're saying something like Baertschi+Lind for a prospect?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Your vocabulary in describing players: turd; trash; stupid; moron; crap; rubbish...

Have you watched yourself play hockey?

Lind is not a bad hockey player.

Care to contribute anything?

I am an average beer league player. Kole Lind would be a superstar in my beer league. He is also a failed prospect who won’t play in the NHL and is currently a bad AHL player.

Seriously, if for the first time ever, you actually want to try making an argument and providing evidence, I’m all ears. Otherwise, you’re still a joke.

Reactions: Krnuckfan

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Some people just can’t let go of prospects that showed ok in junior but can’t take that next step... maybe we should call it Benningitis

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It's possible he is dealing with a lingering injury that has set him back at this level. It's also possible he will never make the transition to pro hockey.

He was drafted 33rd overall and immediately the expectations were set too high. It's possible Lind develops later in his 22 or 23 yr old season, but no one can think of that because....33rd overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Alex Burrows was a nobody who excelled from the second he set foot in the AHL. Like MacEwen.

Lind is a high draft pick who can’t skate and is rubbish. If you look at Cam Darcy for the Comets right now, that’s Lind’s reasonable ceiling.

He was 23 when he first played in the ahl! Lind just turned 20 for crying out loud! We can be hopeful, but calling him done after 15 pro games into his pro career and just turning 20 it’s far too quick like what your doing ms!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Care to contribute anything?

I am an average beer league player. Kole Lind would be a superstar in my beer league. He is also a failed prospect who won’t play in the NHL and is currently a bad AHL player.

Seriously, if for the first time ever, you actually want to try making an argument and providing evidence, I’m all ears. Otherwise, you’re still a joke.
Lind is clearly still physically immature. Just looking at his baby face can tell us that. He needs to grow into his man body. These physical later bloomers will often pass by those who develop sooner. We are seeing that with Jake, and (hopefully) will see that with Lind.

Reactions: Curved Space

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Lind is clearly still physically immature. Just looking at his baby face can tell us that. He needs to grow into his man body. These physical later bloomers will often pass by those who develop sooner. We are seeing that with Jake, and (hopefully) will see that with Lind.
Thats a breath of fresh air in this thread, with common sense. I think we got way too hyped on Lind last year and he didnt immediately meet those expectations so everyone calls him bust now. But yeah he looks like could easy breasy be the classic example of late bloomer. So much talent last year and speed really wasnt too big a concern

This year it is so his time is clearly being taken away from him. Id give him more time, not every prospect follows the same progress path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad