Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
other news, CHL confirmed import draft for June 30th. not sure where the Rangers will be picking but I imagine around the late 40s/early 50s.

not sure about many names for the draft, but I'm hoping for an 02 or 03 left wing. assuming one or both of Petizian and Pinelli will be playing centre this season, the left side will be a bit weak.

I think both Pinelli and Petizian should be playing their natural positions down the middle.

Whoever we take, I’d like an 03 LW who we “know” will report. Cook up a deal!!

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I thought there would be a lot more banter here regarding MM. So let me post a thought........

True, MM turned this team around and get them into an incredible roll. But one has to remember that once that streak ended, we played some pretty high end teams and in some of the games, we did not look like we were in the same league. We were embarrassed in some, in fact, and even Ingham could not help us. And even he looked quite average. Not until we beat the Daws-less Storm did we turn it around. ("We", as in the Greg Meireles show?) I do recall beating, was it Saginaw?, in there somewhere but I recall it being more of them coughing up a sure victory.

I am sure there were some of us wondering if the magic had worn off. Or perhaps the players "stopped being scared" of MM behind the bench. Or it could just be that it was MM's time to get a bit more experience. What does everyone else think?

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I thought there would be a lot more banter here regarding MM. So let me post a thought........

True, MM turned this team around and get them into an incredible roll. But one has to remember that once that streak ended, we played some pretty high end teams and in some of the games, we did not look like we were in the same league. We were embarrassed in some, in fact, and even Ingham could not help us. And even he looked quite average. Not until we beat the Daws-less Storm did we turn it around. ("We", as in the Greg Meireles show?) I do recall beating, was it Saginaw?, in there somewhere but I recall it being more of them coughing up a sure victory.

I am sure there were some of us wondering if the magic had worn off. Or perhaps the players "stopped being scared" of MM behind the bench. Or it could just be that it was MM's time to get a bit more experience. What does everyone else think?

33-6.

So many players (especially the rookies) really took a step forward once MM took over. The team will be filled with rookies this year and maybe that is why they are saying 1 year to start. The man deserves a chance.

Hopefully he doesn’t put too much pressure on trying to win this year though as it needs to be a learning year and trade away vets for the future.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

regulation losses under Mike McKenzie were Soo, Flint, Erie, London x2, Saginaw and Barrie. 4 of those are against top 4 western conference teams and 1 was against a Barrie team that looked great after selling and bringing in some pretty high end younger guys.

they did seem to rely on Ingham to snag out a lot of the wins. but, it was the same thing with McKee but this time they actually got the wins.

I think McKenzie is the perfect guy to have, especially in a “retool” year. my biggest criticism with McKee in 18-19 and early 19-20 was his use (or lack thereof) of the younger guys/4th liners. Rupoli, Dickerson, Fishman and Serpa combined for 1 point pre-McKenzie this season. they never got any opportunity under McKee. MM rolled them out at even strength with the other lines for the first couple periods of every game. same idea with Reid Valade last season. it took a trade and a release for him to see consistent shifts last season and when he did, the results came.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
NHL Draft-eligible Rangers stay focused in uncertain times – Kitchener Rangers

with all this time, I would hope a lot of NHL scouts are watching back on games this season and realizing Valade and McDonnell are also legit prospects. I see almost nothing on them when I’m reading about the draft. obviously that’s coming from third-party/independent scouts and not the NHL teams. but I’m excited to see if any teams take some Riley Damiani-style picks this year

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
They are two quite different types of prospects in my mind. One (McDonnell) has an almost fully formed game that is easy to project. If he bulks up and improves his foot speed, his game is already a pro game.

Valade has higher impact ceiling but is much harder to project. He has more impressive tools than McD with his lightning speed and shot, but hasn't figured out how to use them yet. This is a massive year for him. He's the type of player that can put it all together and score 50 and be a legit prospect or he could continue to struggle with decisions at speed and never be a consistent force.

Both are intriguing picks but only deeper in the draft. My guess is scouts will be more intrigued by Valade's tools.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Feel for this kid but glad he's working through his challenges and talking about his struggles.

Good of Eric to speak out about it. His case is just further proof that these are just kids and they're dealing with a lot. Sometimes as fans we see some of the swagger and cockiness and assume they're fair game for abuse. Remember that often that cockiness is a facade. It's a coping mechanism and it's how they're taught to ward things off. The pressure on these guys can be overwhelming. I know I sound like a hokey TV ad, but we all have to remember it's just a game. And when these kids come play in our city, we become their defacto family. Treat them as such - even if they're on the other team.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Props to the kid for stepping up and sharing some of his experience, hopefully he is continuing to get help.
I hope he gets help too. But there's a lot of stuff in there that needs addressing. If you notice on Eric's Instagram account Damiani messages his support and says he has his back.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Cocaine useage in junior hockey????? This would be something that team should definitely investigate. And how about drug testing?
I'm shocked about the party. I'm shocked about the cocaine. But I'm horrified that an older player could exert peer pressure to have two 16 year old players try it and there was such an atmosphere that the players felt they had no choice and no where to turn. What the hell else goes on!

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I'm shocked about the party. I'm shocked about the cocaine. But I'm horrified that an older player could exert peer pressure to have two 16 year old players try it and there was such an atmosphere that the players felt they had no choice and no where to turn. What the hell else goes on!

It IS shocking. I am hoping that this is a blurred memory. As for the drinking, I know this used to be a regular thing back in my bar days in the early 80's. It was no surprise to see some Rangers out in a bar after the games. Some were imbibing and some just came along for a bite to eat and hang out. And there is the memory of Al McInnis popping in and telling the boys that it's curfew time and time to pack it in.

But I assumed that those types of party days did not happen as often anymore. I noticed many of the players that took part in the drinking often did not play up to their potential on the ice. Some high draft picks that did not amount to much. And players came to realize what it took to make it to the bigs over the last few decades..........better working out, better scrimmages, better eating and taking care of the body, etc.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
But there's a lot of stuff in there that needs addressing. If you notice on Eric's Instagram account Damiani messages his support and says he has his back.

The other 16 year old would have been one of Vallati / Damiani.

The drafted vets on that team were 19 year olds Opilka and Bracco and 18 year olds Mascherin, Bunnaman and Hall.

He didn’t mention names, but there’s two very short lists nonetheless.

Guest could have headed down the same road that Terry Trafford travelled had he not gotten help. Or is that why he eventually landed in a psyche ward?

Reactions: rangersblues

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
It IS shocking. I am hoping that this is a blurred memory. As for the drinking, I know this used to be a regular thing back in my bar days in the early 80's. It was no surprise to see some Rangers out in a bar after the games. Some were imbibing and some just came along for a bite to eat and hang out. And there is the memory of Al McInnis popping in and telling the boys that it's curfew time and time to pack it in.

But I assumed that those types of party days did not happen as often anymore. I noticed many of the players that took part in the drinking often did not play up to their potential on the ice. Some high draft picks that did not amount to much. And players came to realize what it took to make it to the bigs over the last few decades..........better working out, better scrimmages, better eating and taking care of the body, etc.

they are still very active in the bar scene.

Reactions: Torgo

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The other 16 year old would have been one of Vallati / Damiani.

The drafted vets on that team were 19 year olds Opilka and Bracco and 18 year olds Mascherin, Bunnaman and Hall.

He didn’t mention names, but there’s two very short lists nonetheless.

Guest could have headed down the same road that Terry Trafford travelled had he not gotten help. Or is that why he eventually landed in a psyche ward?

the lists are very short. it’s obviously less important to know which other 16 year old this was, but who the “leader” was that forced them into this. I would think that they’ve gotta be terrified of getting caught now with such a short list.

as for the psych ward, I know he was hospitalized for a while right after he left the team last season. I don’t know if that’s the one he’s referencing or if there was another time, but he went right from the team to the hospital back in London.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Cocaine useage in junior hockey????? This would be something that team should definitely investigate. And how about drug testing?

cocaines the go-to in pro sports because it only stays in your system for ~3 days~. you get some guys in junior hockey on ELC’s who have some money to blow, that’s what ends up happening.

I don’t know what the NHL expects to happen when they give 18 and 19 year olds $80-90k signing bonuses and then send them back to junior where all their expenses are covered. it seems like a death wish to me

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

that’s what I’m most concerned about. that was just 1 of the stories Eric has from playing in the OHL as a 16 year old. I’m terrified of what else flies under the radar.

the team should probably address this/investigate it

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

Eric’s video starting to get some attention

also eliminates Luke Opilka from the list of guys who could have locked him in a washroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00