Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
This is all more related to the next season thread, but we can't get too ahead of ourselves on cancelling seasons. The 2021 season hasn't even started and we're talking about cancelling the 2021-22 season?

To me, it looks like this. Until there's a vaccine in the players/staff/billets/etc., there will have to be some sort of modified bubble. The players don't work (during the season anyways), they don't go to the grocery store, they don't have to physically be in a classroom. They can pretty easily stay within their bubble (teammates, staff, family, billets), and if they choose not to, fine the team. Everyone is losing enough money because of this and I'm sure an owner/GM/coach will have no problem holding a kid out of the lineup if he's going to be an idiot. Billets may still be working and what not, but if there's no trust that they can take proper precautions and help prevent the spread, then why are they allowed to house 1 or 2 teenagers for an entire season?

No one is forcing the kids to play. If they don't want to be apart of some sort of modified bubble, I'm sure there's a tier 2 junior league in Denmark ready to put their name on a jersey.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Heard last night from a Dr that said for the vaccine to be affective that it needs 3 months to take affect.

Could be the Doc said the vaccine should keep you immune for 3 months after the 2nd admin (booster). Afterward, you're increasingly susceptible again but your immune system would have the tools to respond with binding & neutralizing antibodies. Info -> https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2032195

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Could be the Doc said the vaccine should keep you immune for 3 months after the 2nd admin (booster). Afterward, you're increasingly susceptible again but your immune system would have the tools to respond with binding & neutralizing antibodies. Info -> https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2032195

I am glad you posted this. There are so many out there thinking that a vaccine means that we are going to eradicate COVID-19. Add to the studies the fact that there are numerous unknowns with regard to how each individual reacts to the vaccine. We should trust our health system but, I personally, am a bit antsy whenever something is rushed, whether it be health related or not. Bottom line is that I will be in line for the vaccine but closer to the back end.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
With the 5 players being sent home from Canada's Selection Camp, there remains 11 defence for 8 spots. It still seems as though Sebrango is a long shot to make it, but he is very close and anything could happen now. I think he will be there for sure next year.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
At the end of the 4 intra squad games Sebrango has second most points of all D, and 11th overall for all players at the camp. Byram is the only D with more points. Sebrango was on the winning team for 3 of the 4 games.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
At the end of the 4 intra squad games Sebrango has second most points of all D, and 11th overall for all players at the camp. Byram is the only D with more points. Sebrango was on the winning team for 3 of the 4 games.

He might just force himself onto the team. It was the same thing with the Hlinka Gretzky team in 2019, I’d say there were 8 or 9 guys on the back end that were more highly touted than he was going into the camp, but he played himself into a spot.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
SEBRANGO showed what he can do. Now will he be recognized for it?
upload_2020-12-11_10-1-55.png

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
He was one of the final cuts on D. I get it. Look at that D core and find someone who you can justify cutting for him. Even then, I think O’Rourke gets the next spot over him. Hope he makes it next yesr

Reactions: rangersblues

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Yikes. Hockey Canada what are you thinking? You cut Graeme Clark, your top point earner in the camp with 8 points and you keep Byfield with 1 point? Byfield has been a no-show at every major event where the competition is at his level. Last year's World Juniors, Gretsky Helinka, CHL Showcase, and now World Juniors camp.
Also cut Sebrango with more points in the intra squad games than five other D that they kept, including Drysdale who had no points in four games.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Yikes. Hockey Canada what are you thinking? You cut Graeme Clark, your top point earner in the camp with 8 points and you keep Byfield with 1 point? Byfield has been a no-show at every major event where the competition is at his level. Last year's World Juniors, Gretsky Helinka, CHL Showcase, and now World Juniors camp.
Also cut Sebrango with more points in the intra squad games than five other D that they kept, including Drysdale who had no points in four games.
You started out strong but you lost it when you thought they should keep Sebrango over Drysdale.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

Last year's WJCs Byfield was playing hardly any minutes. Lafreniere had played in the tournament before and is a year older than Byfield (late 2001). He also had 1 point in 5 games when he played in the tournament as a 17 year old the year before. I think Byfield will have a strong tournament. I do think Graeme Clarke should have made it, but I think there are 9-10 forwards who get cut before Byfield.

Sebrango I'm not surprised by. I thought that was inevitable going in. His strong showing will likely go a long way for next year's team. But this year, look at the D core. Byram, Drysdale, Harley, Schneider were locks going in IMO. Guhle and Barron both got picked way ahead of Sebrango in this year's draft, so that makes sense too. Korczak is a 6'4 200 pound D man who put up nearly 50 points in the WHL last season and Spence has been lighting up the QMJHL this season (he's actually played games since March t00 which was probably a key factor).

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Byfield got ice in the early games at of last year's WJC, but made no impact. So, very little ice later on. I think his poor performance at camp, where the going is much tougher than OHL league play, is a predictor of another lackluster tournament.
The whole idea of a selection camp is to see who rises to the top at the next level of play. I'm afraid Hockey Canada is too caught up in where players were drafted.
A clear exception to this is Levi. However, in his case they let his numbers speak for themselves.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I might catch some blowback for making this comparison on the Rangers board but I feel Sebrango and Brochu were in the same boat in this camp. Those of us who have seen them play a lot know what they are about but there wasn't anything they were going to do in this camp that would have put them on the team. They were getting experience in case a 2020 shortage came up at the respective position. That doesn't diminish what they did to get there.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I feel Sebrango and Brochu were in the same boat in this camp. Those of us who have seen them play a lot know what they are about but there wasn't anything they were going to do in this camp that would have put them on the team.

Agreed, add in the extra long layoff (Covid) for the players between there last hockey and this camp and I think this was even more true. Canada played it safe with the roster and gambled that even though a player may have had a less then stellar camp from “rust” that they will have their game back come December 26th.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Agreed, add in the extra long layoff (Covid) for the players between there last hockey and this camp and I think this was even more true. Canada played it safe with the roster and gambled that even though a player may have had a less then stellar camp from “rust” that they will have their game back come December 26th.
There's a reason the guys selected were mostly first round draft picks. Going into camp there are very few spots open as all these players have already been heavily scouted. It's mostly a matter if they are going to fit together as a group or if it looks like someone is a misfit.

To think that anyone is going to displace a 6th overall pick like Drysdale, who made a significant contribution to the team last year, because he had a few points over a small sample size like camp is ludicrous. Especially in a season where no hockey has been played to date.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
There's a reason the guys selected were mostly first round draft picks. Going into camp there are very few spots open as all these players have already been heavily scouted. It's mostly a matter if they are going to fit together as a group or if it looks like someone is a misfit.

To think that anyone is going to displace a 6th overall pick like Drysdale, who made a significant contribution to the team last year, because he had a few points over a small sample size like camp is ludicrous. Especially in a season where no hockey has been played to date.
Sebrango had third most points at the selection camp as a D, behind Byram and Barron. The purpose of the camp is to see who can compete at that elevated level.
To follow your logic there would be no need for a selection camp. Just pick the highest drafted players.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Sebrango had third most points at the selection camp as a D, behind Byram and Barron. The purpose of the camp is to see who can compete at that elevated level.
To follow your logic there would be no need for a selection camp. Just pick the highest drafted players.
Points by defencemen may be the most inaccurate way of evaluate defencemen, how many assists were weak secondary? How is he actually playing defence and not a liability in his own zone??
It's great that DS got the invite and showed well by all accounts. To think he deserved to be on the squad due to his points totals is just wrong.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
the camp is held for coaches to have a visual assessment of the players and how they play in each facet of the game (not exclusively regarding offense), and how to best fit those players together to make the best overall team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad