Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017

Declan McDonnell joining Syracuse for AHL training camp. CHL players are allowed to play there until the OHL starts. New Jersey’s AHL team hasn’t released a roster, but Vukojevic probably goes there. Sebrango just went to Europe a week ago so I doubt he goes to Detroit’s AHL camp.

Josh Brown reported yesterday that Sebrango has signed an amateur tryout deal with the AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins.

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
This is ridiculous for OHL players having to travel all over the world to play. OHL should have allowed them to join USHL teams.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
This is ridiculous for OHL players having to travel all over the world to play. OHL should have allowed them to join USHL teams.

Can they not? A handful of WHL players just recently signed with the Lincoln Stars. I imagine it would be the same rules across the CHL.

I think there's just more opportunity in Europe. USHL only has 14 teams and a few of them opted out of this season and had their players spread among other teams.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Each league gets to make its own decisions about releasing players. CHL has approved releasing players for all leagues. WHL has allowed releases. OHL has not. The Q is playing (sort of). OHL players are left high and dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
MM just retweeted........
upload_2021-1-26_14-13-19.png

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
With this season in serious jeopardy I'm wondering if this was sensed by management and thats why they stayed within the organization and just gave McKenzie the HC job. This may have saved the team a cpl hundred thousand of dollars and maybe now there's a an increased number of HC candidates now?

Reactions: EvenSteven

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
I've been wondering how late into the year they could reasonably have a mini season along with some playoffs. If the trends continue in a positive direction could we reasonably see a regular season that happens over the course of 2-3 months followed by playoffs that have less teams participate or shorter playoff series all together, and have the OHL championship in July roughly?

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I've been wondering how late into the year they could reasonably have a mini season along with some playoffs. If the trends continue in a positive direction could we reasonably see a regular season that happens over the course of 2-3 months followed by playoffs that have less teams participate or shorter playoff series all together, and have the OHL championship in July roughly?

I can't see it happening at all at this point.

Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I don't see a season happening at this point. Although numbers are going down, they are still considerably higher than the fall when the season was initially postponed. Add the new, more contagious Covid strains to the equation. I don't see nonessential activity opening up any time soon.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
I don't see a season happening at this point. Although numbers are going down, they are still considerably higher than the fall when the season was initially postponed. Add the new, more contagious Covid strains to the equation. I don't see nonessential activity opening up any time soon.
I think stuff will start to open up to fall levels again around April as buy then the vaccine will be well on its way and our numbers should be heading down as a result of the warmer weather, which could allow then to do some sort of season and playoffs I would think.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think stuff will start to open up to fall levels again around April as buy then the vaccine will be well on its way and our numbers should be heading down as a result of the warmer weather, which could allow then to do some sort of season and playoffs I would think.
I hope you're right but I think that's a bit soon. It takes 75% for herd immunity. Even though things will open up before we reach that stage, we won't be anywhere close to that by April, which is only 60ish days away.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
OHL Prospects Preliminary Media/Scout Poll for 2021 NHL Draft...

4. Francesco Pinelli - Center - Kitchener Rangers
Total Votes: 19
Highest Ranking: 2nd (1x)
Lowest Ranking: 6th (2x)
Comments:
“Offensive center had a great rookie year, especially towards the end and he could really expand on that and jump up draft rankings as he has the drive, the mobility, the desire, all the tools to be the straw that stirs the drink for the Rangers. One guy who has not been on the ice in a competitive way for almost a year now. Has top six two-way NHL upside, could be a better fit as a winger than center.” - Dan Stewart
“It was a coin flip deciding the placement between Francesco Pinelli and Brennan Othmann, but the versatility that Pinelli brings to the table puts him slightly ahead on this list. The former Toronto captain went on an absolute tear right away with six goals in his first six OHL games and remained consistent the rest of the way for a Rangers team that was competitive in the Western conference. Arguably one of the most complete players in this entire draft class, Pinelli plays a 200-foot game and is already very responsible in his own end, a rare sight for any rookie in the OHL. While the Rangers had him playing both on the wing and in the middle, Pinelli should project as a centerman and would be the perfect swiss army knife for any team at the next level, while also providing offensive upside as well, with very underrated playmaking ability, always making the players around him, better.” - Raine Hernandez
“Pinelli is a player who could rise up the board if given the opportunity to play and move up the lineup. He has a real dual-threat nature to his game with a shot that can beat goalies thanks to a quick release and pinpoint accuracy and good vision in the offensive zone. His two-way play is good but not great although he shows some tendencies that would indicate he is almost there. He anticipates play well at both ends of the ice. If can elevate himself in the lineup, he could be set for a jump.” - Tony Ferrari
“A strong two-way game and solid 41 points in 59 games on a veteran Kitchener team last year was a very strong start to Pinelli’s OHL career. Pinelli did spend most of his time at left wing last season due to Kitchener’s depth down the middle but that should change if there is an OHL season. The thing that stood out with Pinelli from my first viewing in preseason play to the seasons’ abrupt ending is that he is really intelligent and is able to be involved in the play on a shift-to-shift basis. That’s not easy to do as a 16-year-old, especially one that could easily get lost in a deep lineup. The kid is good and I think he will have a strong season but I can’t see him surpassing the other players at the top of this list in the OHL.” - Matt Young
“If anyone is going to challenge Othmann for the best two-way forward out of the OHL’s 2021 draft class, there is a good bet it will be Pinelli, who is a well-rounded player and displays consistency both on and off the puck. He is a persistent forechecker who also performs admirably in his own end. You rarely see Pinelli go an entire shift without being involved in one form or another, and his tenaciousness and stick positioning help create turnovers in any zone. On the puck, Pinelli is a dual-threat who can be a catalyst in the offensive end. In one shift he can catch a goalie off guard with a hard shot; the next, Pinelli can draw defenders out of position with deft stickhandling that opens lanes for his linemates. Like Othmann, Pinelli is used as a one-timer option on the power play, but he also has the ability to be a game breaker at even strength. Although he is listed as center, Pinelli played the majority of last season on the wing. With both Riley Damiani and Greg Meireles moving on from Kitchener, the likelihood that Pinelli operates at the center-ice position in his draft year should increase.” - Eddy Jone

Reactions: rangersblues

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

At this point, I can't see anything happening that is both safe and financially feasible. The Ontario government has completely blown it for the OHL. WHL teams are starting to get funding. QMJHL teams are playing. USHL is playing. NCAA is playing. NHL teams in Ontario are playing and travelling cross country.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
I think this season is a vet scratch. It's a shame for the kids anticipating their first OHL season. A lot the older guys with valid pro hockey aspirations have found other opportunities. The OHL has not made it easy for them.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think this season is a vet scratch. It's a shame for the kids anticipating their first OHL season. A lot the older guys with valid pro hockey aspirations have found other opportunities. The OHL has not made it easy for them.

I look at guys like Reid Valade, Arber Xhekaj and Mike Petizian and wonder what they will do. They are, Valade especially being a year younger, a big season away from being legit options for NHL teams as re-entries.

They won't get AHL ATO's as they aren't drafted yet, and spots on European teams have been mostly reserved for players who are first-time draft eligible or are already drafted. I wonder how an entire season off impacts both their pro chances and the expected jump in responsibility/production we expect them to see in Kitchener.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I feel creativity is missing in this whole COVID mess. A lot of opportunity but not enough people willing to make changes. For example, we have all spoken about Rogers and how they do not cover as many games as "it is expensive to broadcast games". So why not do a survey and see how many people would pay-per-view some of these games on TV? I certainly would and the quality would be better than some of those OHL broadcasts. Next, you line up some higher end sponsors and explain to them that there is a larger viewing audience. More revenues. You can still do you 50/50's online as well as the various other raffles. Done.

Oh yes, where to play? Well, the other leagues have their COVID protocols and we can follow suit. We can still "travel with regular testing" or set up a bubble somewhere. Schooling should not be an issue seeing that most of that is done online nowadays.

Probably too late to start thinking like this for this season but who knows when this is going to end. I am not counting on the vaccine............even if we DO have enough doses for everyone.

Reactions: EvenSteven

deerhunter97

Jan 28, 2021
Hello hockey friends,
I am a supporter of HDD Jesenice where your player Francesco Pinnelli will play until OHL starts.
Today is his first game for HDD Jesenice. The game starts in 30 minutes.
It is the semi-final of the Slovenian Championship, AHL (main competition for the club) will resume on 2nd February.
You can watch the game via this link if you are interested:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad