Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
It's a shame that there will be no OHL season. It disadvantages every OHL player relative to the entire rest of the Junior hockey world. It makes me very angry and I feel badly for OHL players. It's a year of lost development that professional teams cannot overlook.
As Ontarians we really have to look the situation and ask "How did it come to this?". "How did we, with arguably the best Junior hockey in the world, come to be the only place unable to play?"
Sad, sad, sad.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Unfortunate, but time to get into the offseason (not that we ever left).

The Rangers still have 12 forwards, 5 defence and 2 goalies signed going into next season. The OAs currently would be Dickerson, Petizian, Xhekaj. I would think they would try to upgrade on Dickerson if they want to make a push. Someone I would keep an eye on is Keean Washkurak in Mississauga. Local kid, currently unsigned by the St. Louis Blues who plays with a ton of grit and puts up points.

As for the rest of the forwards, there are Pinelli, McDonnell, Valade, Fishman who should all be looking to take big strides. Langdon, Serpa, Sop, Martin, LeBlanc and Swick are the others. We have only seen 2 play for an extended period of time so it's tough to know what to expect, but we know Langdon and Serpa can fill bottom 6/top 9 roles.

On defence there is Sebrango, Xhekaj, Motew and Ottavainen in the top 4 which is intriguing. Jacob LeBlanc will be coming in and now that the 04s can all be signed, my guess is that George Fegaras will be in there as well. My preference would be that MM and co. use their 1st round pick on a left handed D-man as there are currently only 2 in this lineup.

My prediction for day 1 lineup, whenever that may be (per the draft pick database, Kitchener has no 2nd round pick):

Sop-Pinelli-McDonnell
Valade-Petizian-Fishman
Martin-Langdon-Serpa
Swick-LeBlanc-(3rd round pick)

Sebrango-Ottavainen
Xhekaj-Motew
(1st round pick)-LeBlanc
Fegaras

Cajan
Parsons

Not sure about Ottavainen. He might just decide that he likes it better in Europe.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Not sure about Ottavainen. He might just decide that he likes it better in Europe.

The way this season has gone for him, I would want to stay. He’s played his way up to the top tier Finnish professional league. But, if he is to get selected by an NHL team as a re-entry, they might want to see him play on the North American sized ice as a 19 year old sort of like Bergkvist last year.

I think if we do see Ville in Kitchener in September he will be a beast.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
OK....since have this issue of no season been resolved, is there something else in the works now. The Rangers did research and interviewed people for the HC position, as we all know that after all that McKenzie named himself as HC. Was that due to the fact the the one they wanted to interview and hire was still under contract? Will now another search go forth now and let MM be the GM and out scouting? I know Beinkowski is gone but after Spott left SB said there was an issue with having the combined roles.

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
OK....since have this issue of no season been resolved, is there something else in the works now. The Rangers did research and interviewed people for the HC position, as we all know that after all that McKenzie named himself as HC. Was that due to the fact the the one they wanted to interview and hire was still under contract? Will now another search go forth now and let MM be the GM and out scouting? I know Beinkowski is gone but after Spott left SB said there was an issue with having the combined roles.
The Rangers under Bienkowski were notorious for promoting from within. I think the only time they went outside was DeBoer. It's possible that he made that statement because there wasn't anyone from within capable of performing the dual role. It could be argued that there was nobody from within that was capable of doing either role at times.

My feeling is that they hire a HC because MM will be extremely busy with player personnel after the long layoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ward Cornell

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think with the hard reset that they and every other team will be facing, now is the time to pick a new coach. No point in keeping MM in the dual role for a year and having all the players getting used to him as the coach just to hire a new one the next year and start that all over again.

Who that coach may be, I have absolutely no idea at all. But based on Joe Birch’s resume, I’d assume he will go with someone from around the OHL as opposed to someone coming down from pro or moving up in the Junior A/B ranks. Whether it’s a former head coach or someone’s assistant coach, I’m sure he has pretty good insight on a lot of people around the league.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
also, just curious on how the coaches contracts work.....I assume they got paid during the shutdown therefore if the contract expired they are "free agents".

Reactions: rangersblues

K2

Jun 11, 2015
also, just curious on how the coaches contracts work.....I assume they got paid during the shutdown therefore if the contract expired they are "free agents".

Payment terms depend on contract language (and varies incredibly) but assume at least some retainer was paid if not base salary. It's not a free-agent 'rights' scenario, just term employment, and coaches can & do take other jobs ... just look at George Burnett.

now is the time to pick a new coach. No point in keeping MM in the dual rol

MM will continue as HC/GM. If there's any hire it would be an associate HC/GM, perhaps by elevating Karlsson and adding an assistant. We won't be hiring anyone additional until revenues are back in full flow.

SB said there was an issue with having the combined roles.

No issues while Pete and Steve were doing it but perhaps it was seeing less capable folks like Troy & Murray get overrun and flounder with the individual roles right after ;)

Likely gone if NHL interest remains absent.

"How did we, with arguably the best Junior hockey in the world, come to be the only place unable to play?"

Inept provincial government which leaves play in 2021-22 dubious as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coaches Coroner

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
No issues while Pete and Steve were doing it but perhaps it was seeing less capable folks like Troy & Murray get overrun and flounder with the individual roles right after ;) That comment from SB was in direct response to Spotts tenure here! Agree on PD though!

Inept provincial government which leaves play in 2021-22 dubious as well. Amazing on how the other CHL leagues had issues also!...It all coming down to vaccines as we see south of the border. They were a disaster before getting vaccines...but not now but here in Canada not so much! I do agree 100% that even a full 2021-22 season isn't likely...may start by Christmas 21, not any sooner. The question maybe is not "when" but how many teams?

Last edited:

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
I tend to think the start of the next OHL season will look like much of the AHL. That's to say, there will be games but with a limited number of fans in attendance.
That brings about the whole Covid passport question. I've been vaccinated but really don't want to sit amongst people who are too stupid to have gotten their shot. These people think the rest of us should take the risk of a vaccine (to whatever extent there is a risk, if any) so that they won't have to.
We need to keep these people out pubic areas even if it's only to save them from themselves. Treating these morons will cost all of us money and tie up our medical facilities and health care workers.
But I digress....

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
World Juniors start up tonight for Team Canada as they take Sweden....9pm EST........from Plano, Texas. Pinelli is there and already scored a goal in the team's lone prelim game against Finland. This is no easy start for either team and promises to be a great game!

Reactions: sbpointer

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Sounds like there is going to be a lottery for this year's draft. I guess we have a shot at #1? Is there a scouting report on what is available out there? Or is it a crap shoot? Something to discuss.........

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Sounds like there is going to be a lottery for this year's draft. I guess we have a shot at #1? Is there a scouting report on what is available out there? Or is it a crap shoot? Something to discuss.........

I’m not sure if there is a consensus #1 pick. Even if there is, it’s not worth much because scouts haven’t seen how they play against anyone besides maybe 1 or 2 teams in exhibition games

In the MM era, the Rangers have shown that they are able to draft well in the early rounds, but in the mid-late rounds they take a ton of American flyers who never report and their Canadians in these rounds never usually end up being anything either.

I think they may have to switch that strategy this year. Drafting in the early rounds will be a mess. Even though they have been able to see all the Americans play this year, if none of them are gonna show up and sign they run the risk of drafting some early round busts and not having any of their late round picks showing. I think they’ve got to try and take as many shots at players they know will report and choose the best 3 or 4 come September in camp.

Reactions: JoelKRangers

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
From Josh Brown's Brownie Points article this morning:

"It doesn’t sound like Kitchener Rangers defenceman Ville Ottavainen will be back with the club. The big Finn stayed home this season, since there was no OHL option, and started in the Finnish Under-20 league but finished on a men’s team and held his own."

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
From Josh Brown's Brownie Points article this morning:

"It doesn’t sound like Kitchener Rangers defenceman Ville Ottavainen will be back with the club. The big Finn stayed home this season, since there was no OHL option, and started in the Finnish Under-20 league but finished on a men’s team and held his own."

I personally liked Ville but he faded as the season went on. I'm sure he was disappointed as well. Best of luck to him should he stay in Finland.

Mar 12, 2009
Good for Ville, wouldn't really have expected it, still seemed like a really raw guy with some great tools. He might be better developing his game fully in Europe and then try and translate it to NA, rather than doing both at once (some can do it, but it's not for everyone)

Pinelli looks like he's developing right on schedule. He's been a noticeable positive force offensively obviously, but he's also been very good and very engaged away from the puck and good physically in the 2 games I saw all of (he was apparently benched during the latvia game though)

Reactions: JoelKRangers

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I personally liked Ville but he faded as the season went on. I'm sure he was disappointed as well. Best of luck to him should he stay in Finland.
It got tough as Xhekaj emerged and Wale was added for him to get ice time. That's the one thing about going to a Kitchener or a London as a young player. When you're older, you have all the opportunity in the world to be a star in the league and win a championship, but when you are 16/17 you will struggle to get time unless you are going to be a high end pick in the NHL.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Good for Ville, wouldn't really have expected it, still seemed like a really raw guy with some great tools. He might be better developing his game fully in Europe and then try and translate it to NA, rather than doing both at once (some can do it, but it's not for everyone)

Pinelli looks like he's developing right on schedule. He's been a noticeable positive force offensively obviously, but he's also been very good and very engaged away from the puck and good physically in the 2 games I saw all of (he was apparently benched during the latvia game though)

Pinelli is on track to be one of the best drafted and developed Rangers we’ve seen for some time. He’s on track to be the first 1st round NHL pick out of Kitchener since Faksa in 2012 and first North American since Skinner in 2010. By the time he’s back in red and blue he will be without question the top forward and should have a huge season or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad