Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
GO RANGERS GO!...
upload_2020-12-19_12-48-17.png

Reactions: JoelKRangers

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Find places for the kids to play this year if you can. I’d hate for a Pinelli or Motew to not play at all this year especially in a draft year.

Clarke brothers that play for Barrie and Ottawa respectively are in Europe now.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
If we manage to have a hockey season amidst the Covid mess watch for Arber Xhekaj to have a breakout year. I saw him in a weird little tournament for mostly OHL players that was streamed in late August. He looked very good.
I can see Xhekaj having a career similar to Bortuzzo, possibly better. He just seems to have a lot of upside to me.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Surprised that there aren’t more Rangers playing elsewhere right now. The only signed players that are on teams right now are Mitchell Martin, Ville Ottavainen and Simon Motew. They’re all playing on local teams and aren’t getting close to as good of competition as they’d be getting here (based on their points there compared to here).

I’m guessing there are a lot of factors, such as player’s agents and NHL clubs for McDonnell, Sebrango, Vukojevic. But I’d figure Mike McKenzie is well enough connected to find places to play for guys like Pinelli, Fishman, Sop who are all in their draft year, or Valade, Petizian, Xhekaj who are all going to be expected to take the next step and become the core pieces of the team.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Surprised that there aren’t more Rangers playing elsewhere right now. The only signed players that are on teams right now are Mitchell Martin, Ville Ottavainen and Simon Motew. They’re all playing on local teams and aren’t getting close to as good of competition as they’d be getting here (based on their points there compared to here).

I’m guessing there are a lot of factors, such as player’s agents and NHL clubs for McDonnell, Sebrango, Vukojevic. But I’d figure Mike McKenzie is well enough connected to find places to play for guys like Pinelli, Fishman, Sop who are all in their draft year, or Valade, Petizian, Xhekaj who are all going to be expected to take the next step and become the core pieces of the team.

I'm not really understanding how players can go play "elsewhere"? Can someone shed some light? I can only assume that some countries are less lenient than others with regard to gathering restrictions? Sebrango is in Slovakia.........Do they not have COVID there? Are there fans in the stands? No testing protocols?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I'm not really understanding how players can go play "elsewhere"? Can someone shed some light? I can only assume that some countries are less lenient than others with regard to gathering restrictions? Sebrango is in Slovakia.........Do they not have COVID there? Are there fans in the stands? No testing protocols?

I can’t speak for all the countries, but I looked into it for Slovakia after I heard about the Sebrango signing.

From what I understand, it is the exact same situation as it is here. Slovakia is in lockdown as well. The only caveat is that the league Sebrango signed to play in is a professional league, and like in Canada, they are allowing professional leagues to play.

Sweden is in the same boat. On the Showbound Podcast that Ethan Cardwell (who’s playing in Sweden) and Michael Raskin started, Cardwell mentioned that professional teams are the only hockey running.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I can’t speak for all the countries, but I looked into it for Slovakia after I heard about the Sebrango signing.

From what I understand, it is the exact same situation as it is here. Slovakia is in lockdown as well. The only caveat is that the league Sebrango signed to play in is a professional league, and like in Canada, they are allowing professional leagues to play.

Sweden is in the same boat. On the Showbound Podcast that Ethan Cardwell (who’s playing in Sweden) and Michael Raskin started, Cardwell mentioned that professional teams are the only hockey running.

So it sounds like pro is handled like a different animal Thanks, MM!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
So when does the Mid April OHL Bubble Tournament begin for the prestigious Covid 19 Cup?
I suspect that may be our only chance to see any OHL hockey this yr! :(

On the brightside...imagine last yr at this time how giddy we would be if we knew by mid January 2021 that the Rangers still haven't lost a game! :):):)

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
So when does the Mid April OHL Bubble Tournament begin for the prestigious Covid 19 Cup?

On the brightside...imagine last yr at this time how giddy we would be if we knew by mid January 2021 that the Rangers still haven't lost a game! :):):)

Sounds like they might try to mirror the WHL's 24 game season. It's not much, but I'll take anything at this point lol.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Sounds like they might try to mirror the WHL's 24 game season.

Under the circumstances I’m ok as well with that. Personally I would postpone the Memorial Cup. A 24 game schedule that would have your opponents chosen based on proximity and travel allows for a very unequal and unfair qualifying process for the Memorial Cup. You could of course still honour and present league championships. Focus this short schedule on getting the kids some development and also preparing for hopefully a nice semi clean return to action in September of 2021.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Under the circumstances I’m ok as well with that. Personally I would postpone the Memorial Cup. A 24 game schedule that would have your opponents chosen based on proximity and travel allows for a very unequal and unfair qualifying process for the Memorial Cup. You could of course still honour and present league championships. Focus this short schedule on getting the kids some development and also preparing for hopefully a nice semi clean return to action in September of 2021.

A Memorial Cup with an asterisk is better than not having a Memorial Cup at all.

All teams are going in on the same playing level - or really, not much different than other years. The OHL has had an unbalanced schedule for a long time now to the benefit and detriment of various teams.

This season, though shortened, wouldn’t be all that far off the norm.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
A Memorial Cup with an asterisk is better than not having a Memorial Cup at all.

All teams are going in on the same playing level - or really, not much different than other years. The OHL has had an unbalanced schedule for a long time now to the benefit and detriment of various teams.

I can’t see a season without a Memorial Cup. Like you said, it’s really not much different with the unbalanced schedule.

The idea of a March Madness style Memorial Cup gets me very excited, but I also don’t want to get my hopes up.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

.........And how exciting a 5-way tie for 1st place in the Midwest Division would be!

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Half a year ago, I would have agreed with you but after watching some of the Stanley Cup playoffs and World Juniors, not so much. Don't get me wrong.......I enjoyed getting my hockey fix and there was some great hockey but I came to the conclusion that having thousands of cheering fans is definitely a huge factor. There are some players and teams that get a considerable boost in their game with the resulting adrenaline rush, especially those players traditionally "built for the playoffs", and therefore I feel the results were skewed. I'm happy that Tampa Bay won the cup but it will always be an asterisk with me. The Canadian Juniors might have pulled off a gold as well. But one never knows.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

Declan McDonnell joining Syracuse for AHL training camp. CHL players are allowed to play there until the OHL starts. New Jersey’s AHL team hasn’t released a roster, but Vukojevic probably goes there. Sebrango just went to Europe a week ago so I doubt he goes to Detroit’s AHL camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad