Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
On paper Guelph should have won that game. I think they have two weaknesses, coaching and goaltending.

If the Storm don't make it to at least the conference final, I can't see Burnett sticking around.

The compete level on the Rangers was super high and a real treat to watch. Sometimes getting a "C" can weigh a player. Not with Hugg. He's elevated his game. Love the Hugg, Damiani and Stepien combination.

Toropchenko definitely tried to injure Langdon. The high hit by Ratcliffe on I think Cameron near the end of the game was a cheap shot that I hope the Rangers have the League review.

The Storm have a lot of skill, but they sure don't look to have any systems or play as a team.
Thanks to the Storm camera guy who managed to get a perfect shot of it when the main camera missed it, you could clearly see he jumped into the hit as well.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I saw a very talented team in Guelph last night get dominated in all facets of the game by a much less talented team.

Then, I saw the much more talented team, once they fell behind 2-0, resort to running around trying to be physical which resulted in various cheap shots. The game plan that the refs "won't call everything" was in play. This caused the atmosphere of the game to become heated and tempers to escalate.

Once the score became 4-1, the standard "game management" by the officials began. This is what they do to keep the losing team concentrating more on scoring on the PP than continuing their "they won't call everything" style of play that can escalate into the game getting out of hand. In doing this, the refs ignore minor infractions of the losing team while penalizing the winning team repeatedly.

Once the losing team realize they can get away with multiple infractions, they started crossing the line with incidents like Ratcliffe repeatedly trying to crosscheck the Ranger player into the bench, the head shot on Langdon by Toropchenko, and the late game head shot on MacPherson by Ratcliffe.

The refs were as much or more to blame for these incidents as the players were.

As far as the Storm goes, the team I saw play last night, as talented as it is, hasn't a hope in hell of getting past the second round of the playoffs unless they get their crap together.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I saw a very talented team in Guelph last night get dominated in all facets of the game by a much less talented team.

Then, I saw the much more talented team, once they fell behind 2-0, resort to running around trying to be physical which resulted in various cheap shots. The game plan that the refs "won't call everything" was in play. This caused the atmosphere of the game to become heated and tempers to escalate.

Once the score became 4-1, the standard "game management" by the officials began. This is what they do to keep the losing team concentrating more on scoring on the PP than continuing their "they won't call everything" style of play that can escalate into the game getting out of hand. In doing this, the refs ignore minor infractions of the losing team while penalizing the winning team repeatedly.

Once the losing team realize they can get away with multiple infractions, they started crossing the line with incidents like Ratcliffe repeatedly trying to crosscheck the Ranger player into the bench, the head shot on Lalonde by Toropchenko, and the late game head shot on MacPherson by Ratcliffe.

As far as the Storm goes, the team I saw play last night, as talented as it is, hasn't a hope in hell of getting past the second round of the playoffs unless they get their crap together.
Radcliff is suppose to be a leader on a contender. He has the skill and size to compete and even dominate but he has a penchant to play stupid and put his team second. On the Langdon hit I can't figure out why some players don't get it when they target an opposing player's head knowing full well they are going to get a suspension. The Storm coach said it was all on him. I agree.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

Once the losing team realize they can get away with multiple infractions, they started crossing the line with incidents like Ratcliffe repeatedly trying to crosscheck the Ranger player into the bench, the head shot on Lalonde by Toropchenko, and the late game head shot on MacPherson by Ratcliffe.

*Langdon not Lalonde

Reactions: EvenSteven

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Enjoyed last nights game. 2 good periods of Rangers hockey and 1 period of trying not to lose. Wish they had played with that effort in some other games, for example loss at home to Kingston when the Fronts were playing their 3rd in 2.5 days, or when they led Erie 4-2 and gave up 4 straight, or the loss to Flint or the Tuesday's game against Erie. If those converted into wins the Rangers would be 5 points behind Guelph having played a game less.

Of course this is could've, would've, should've and the Rangers are where they are and have a tough run of games coming up so they could sink down in the standings, but I wonder who wants to play Kitchener in Round 1?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Enjoyed last nights game. 2 good periods of Rangers hockey and 1 period of trying not to lose. Wish they had played with that effort in some other games, for example loss at home to Kingston when the Fronts were playing their 3rd in 2.5 days, or when they led Erie 4-2 and gave up 4 straight, or the loss to Flint or the Tuesday's game against Erie. If those converted into wins the Rangers would be 5 points behind Guelph having played a game less.

Of course this is could've, would've, should've and the Rangers are where they are and have a tough run of games coming up so they could sink down in the standings, but I wonder who wants to play Kitchener in Round 1?

Who wants to play Kitchener in round one? Nobody probably. Or rather, of the team's finishing 5th to 8th, they'd be the last choice of teams the contenders will want to play. Windsor, Owen Sound, Erie, Sarnia should all be easier outs.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Who wants to play Kitchener in round one? Nobody probably. Or rather, of the team's finishing 5th to 8th, they'd be the last choice of teams the contenders will want to play. Windsor, Owen Sound, Erie, Sarnia should all be easier outs.

And while we do lament the inconsistency and seemingly lack of star power of the Rangers, when they play full out as a team, they are difficult to beat. It just goes to show that having three Team Canada players on your roster does not a team make....at least, the way Guelph self-destructed and frankly, Rangers took it to them.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
And while we do lament the inconsistency and seemingly lack of star power of the Rangers, when they play full out as a team, they are difficult to beat. It just goes to show that having three Team Canada players on your roster does not a team make....at least, the way Guelph self-destructed and frankly, Rangers took it to them.
Not sure those Team Canada players were top knotch. Can you imagine if the Storm fails. Coach and GM are one and the same and made all the moves at the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers True Blue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Not sure those Team Canada players were top knotch. Can you imagine if the Storm fails. Coach and GM are one and the same and made all the moves at the deadline.

We had a little chuckle at the Ranger game shortly after the World Junior tournament. They lined up, I think it was, 6 players at center ice to give them a big applause for their contributions at the tournament. I turned around to my friend and said, "Yeah, one bronze medal among all of them"

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
We had a little chuckle at the Ranger game shortly after the World Junior tournament. They lined up, I think it was, 6 players at center ice to give them a big applause for their contributions at the tournament. I turned around to my friend and said, "Yeah, one bronze medal among all of them"
We always question Team Canada if they don't win gold. Some players they picked seemed questionable. McKenzie Entwistle has never had more than 15 goals and 38 points.
Guess he was there as a checker. I just think it's prudent to take all forwards that put up reasonable points even if they are given a role as a checker. Why chance having your top lines shut down and bottom checking lines that don't produce. Personally I think they would have gotten more out of Meireles and Damiani.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Question.....Meireles back as an OA or gets a pro contract and doesn't?
My opinion he gets the contract and doesnt comeback.

Also nice to see Valade playing really well now and excited to see what he can do next year.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

Also nice to see Valade playing really well now and excited to see what he can do next year.

I think we all underestimate what Meireles is capable of. he is 15th in the league in points (blew my mind) and he could very well be on a pro contract, even if it’s an ahl/echl deal. if that’s all he gets I think he’s better off to comeback and have a season like Kevin Hancock and go to a contender and try and earn himself an NHL contract

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I would just like to point out that based on goals scored by players on this team this year, the future does not look bright.

Of the 191 goals that the Rangers have scored this year, 123 of those goals have been scored by graduating forwards. (Hugg. Lipanov. Meireles. Garreffa. Yantsis.)

Sure one or more of these guys might be back as overagers next year, but it says a lot about the quality or calibre of offensive forwards we have among the '00 group and younger.

Further, take away the contribution from Damiani (21) and the rest of the roster has provided a grand total of 47 goals.

Of course, goals will be scored next year by someone. But when you wonder if Meireles even returns next year, as Ward has above, when you know the imports won't be back, and when you know if we do get Yantsis/Garreffa back, they may be dealt by the deadline, the offensive outlook for next year looks to be grim.

Mar 12, 2009

He has to re-enter the draft and (if passed over) then sign in the small post-draft, pre-july window where passed over free agents can be signed, otherwise he would have to be signed after next season starts as an OA I believe(usually teams wait until after the new year/mid way point of a season to sign OAs). I think he will get a pro contract but probably not until next year. It took him a while for his game to fully translate at this level, I think he'll need to get stronger and work on his shot power before he's ready to play an important role at the AHL level (I don't think the ECHL would be better for development than OHL next season).

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I know these kids dream is to make pro hockey a career. You have to give a lot of them credit for having the ability to choose other paths though. That said, I don't think Miereles will take a pro contract for the sake of having "an opportunity". Unless it offers him a clear path, I think he comes back as an OA to keep all his options open. All you have to do is recall how he began his OHL career hesitantly.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Kitchener in Niagara Thursday night any fans co I guess down notice you are playing better expect a closer game second time around.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Kudos to the Fronts goalie Brendan Bonello. He's a VERY good goalie. Rangers had some great chances and he stoned them.

Not the prettiest win, but after games against Guelph and Ottawa in a 3 games in 4 day stretch, I'll take it.

BIG tests ahead with games against Niagara and the Soo.

If the compete level is where it can be, we'll be in for some great hockey.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Kudos to the Fronts goalie Brendan Bonello. He's a VERY good goalie. Rangers had some great chances and he stoned them.

Not the prettiest win, but after games against Guelph and Ottawa in a 3 games in 4 day stretch, I'll take it.

BIG tests ahead with games against Niagara and the Soo.

If the compete level is where it can be, we'll be in for some great hockey.
Rangers played a great road game in Kingston today. The coach sat some of the vets after they went up 3-1. Put them back into play when Kingston scored to make it 3-2. I agree Sheila Bonello played a great game in front of his team to keep it close.

Reactions: HashingMARK

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I would just like to point out that based on goals scored by players on this team this year, the future does not look bright.

Of the 191 goals that the Rangers have scored this year, 123 of those goals have been scored by graduating forwards. (Hugg. Lipanov. Meireles. Garreffa. Yantsis.)

Sure one or more of these guys might be back as overagers next year, but it says a lot about the quality or calibre of offensive forwards we have among the '00 group and younger.

Further, take away the contribution from Damiani (21) and the rest of the roster has provided a grand total of 47 goals.

Of course, goals will be scored next year by someone. But when you wonder if Meireles even returns next year, as Ward has above, when you know the imports won't be back, and when you know if we do get Yantsis/Garreffa back, they may be dealt by the deadline, the offensive outlook for next year looks to be grim.

I wonder how those stats stack up against minutes played because surely those players were given the bulk of the minutes this season. It's tough to get things moving forward if you have limited ice time or are pegged for duties on the ice other than scoring.

rgr4life

Jan 9, 2017

The same thing was said at the end of last season. Mascherin, Bunnaman and Sherwoord combined for 97 with Brown and Smith adding another 18 as Rangers. They are currently on pace to score only 10 less goals than last season. I would expect to see at least 2 of Meireles, Garreffa and Yantsis back.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
The same thing was said at the end of last season. Mascherin, Bunnaman and Sherwoord combined for 97 with Brown and Smith adding another 18 as Rangers. They are currently on pace to score only 10 less goals than last season. I would expect to see at least 2 of Meireles, Garreffa and Yantsis back.

Just to add to this. Someone on twitter has been stat tracking Kitchener.

This is a very dangerous route for Kitchener and the team is almost certainly going to digress. Maybe not this year, but possibly next year.

The chart shows that while the team is winning, they are winning due to a strong PP and above average PK. The team itself is one of the worst teams at producing at 5 on 5. Allowing more goals then they are scoring.

That's not good. So while you may use the Mash, Bunns, and Sherwood as an example, its not a good one.

It's good to have a good power play, no one is saying its a bad thing. But this team is relying on the power play an awful lot. That drys out and so do the wins.

Food for thought.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just to add to this. Someone on twitter has been stat tracking Kitchener.

This is a very dangerous route for Kitchener and the team is almost certainly going to digress. Maybe not this year, but possibly next year.

The chart shows that while the team is winning, they are winning due to a strong PP and above average PK. The team itself is one of the worst teams at producing at 5 on 5. Allowing more goals then they are scoring.

That's not good. So while you may use the Mash, Bunns, and Sherwood as an example, its not a good one.

It's good to have a good power play, no one is saying its a bad thing. But this team is relying on the power play an awful lot. That drys out and so do the wins.

Food for thought.

I never expected this team to be above .500 so that is a good thing. They are playing some decent hockey lately so I have no issues with getting our money's worth at the moment. All these stats can change in a hurry from season to season so I wouldn't put a ton of stock in something that is on a spread sheet. The OHL is full of surprises every year.(Yantsis) Some of the young players are getting decent ice and coud step up huge next season and put up some good numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad