Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rav24

Mar 21, 2016
Vuk got high sticked around the same time Meireles got his penalty. He was as mad as a hornet but those two refs both ignored him and he came back after the period with a cage on. He still talked to one looking for a reason .Those refs missed huge calls both ways.

I sit right where he was down on the ice. He was spitting blood when he got up. Could not see what was causing it.

Reactions: bobber

rav24

Mar 21, 2016
I sit right where he was down on the ice. He was spitting blood when he got up. Could not see what was causing it.

When he was serving his slashing penalty, he was holding ice to his mouth until he put his helmet on before leaving the box.

Reactions: bobber

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Good game today. Richy with the shut out. Sarnia minder played great also. Winning goal was a buzzer beater.

Good game. But as Josh Brown said, Sarnia looked tired this being their third game in 2.5 days.

Sarnia's goalie was the best player on the ice. Robbed Ranger players all game long.

Absolutely horrible jerseys worn by the Sting. Black numbers on a dark purple jersey? Who's bone head idea was that? I was in the building and had trouble making out the numbers. Yeeshh!!

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
I get that. It just seemed weird and "not right". After the first goal, they took time off Damiani's one penalty? It did not seem right that after the first PP goal, Hamilton would continue with a 2 man advantage. It would make more sense that Meireles leave the box after the first goad and Hamilton continue with the one man advantage. Not saying it was the wrong call as I do not know the official rules but it just didn't seem right for some reason.

When Hamilton's first PPG was scored, they wipe out the first of the minor penalties. That was the first of Damiani's 2 penalties. So after that first goal, he only had to serve 2 more minutes (there was 2:24 left on his penalties if I remember correctly.)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Just an eerie observation but Nick McHugh got a buzzer beater yesterday as well. Whaddaya know.....19:59 in the 2nd period!!!

Speaking of McHugh, his point production has dropped significantly since his trade to Mississauga. He was two points away from being a point a game player here. Since the trade, he has 2G and 3A in 14 games. Mississauga fans must be wondering what all the outcry was about from Ranger fans who were upset to see him go.

I wonder if he was happy with the trade? At the time, I said on here that he deserved to be traded to a contender if he was to be traded at all. This trade was nothing more than a sideways move for McHugh.

Mississauga was a team that sold off big time at the deadline. In all likelihood they'll be an early exit in the playoffs. He could've had that here in Kitchener. Sure Kitchener got something in return for him, but from the player's point of view? I am betting he would rather be a Kitchener Ranger today than a Mississauga Steelhead.

And if you asked the fans, they'd rather have McHugh in a Ranger jersey then the paltry return we got for him in trade.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
When Hamilton's first PPG was scored, they wipe out the first of the minor penalties. That was the first of Damiani's 2 penalties. So after that first goal, he only had to serve 2 more minutes (there was 2:24 left on his penalties if I remember correctly.)

So they end up scoring 2 goals while 2 men up. Doesn't seem right. Not saying they made an error but it seems we would have been better off if Damiani had gotten a 5 minute major. Then one goal is scored, Meireles comes out and we kill off the balance of the Damiani penalty. Not saying that it was the wrong call but it just doesn't seem right that Hamilton score 2 while we are down 2 men.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I noticed that the points are down as well. I also remember that some mentioned he wanted to play with good buddy, Cole Carter. Maybe the 2 are partying up a bit too much? LOL!

I heard that he looked forward to playing with Carter, but I took that to mean that now since he's traded to Mississauga, he'll get to play with him - a silver lining to the dark cloud of being traded as a veteran to a non contender.

Some people made it sound like he requested or welcomed a deal to Mississauga before the trade was consummated.

I don't believe that was the case.

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
So they end up scoring 2 goals while 2 men up. Doesn't seem right. Not saying they made an error but it seems we would have been better off if Damiani had gotten a 5 minute major. Then one goal is scored, Meireles comes out and we kill off the balance of the Damiani penalty. Not saying that it was the wrong call but it just doesn't seem right that Hamilton score 2 while we are down 2 men.

They did. And it's definitely not an error; it's covered in the OHL Rule Book. Because the double minor happened before the next penalty, they were still down 5-on-3 after the first goal.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I heard that he looked forward to playing with Carter, but I took that to mean that now since he's traded to Mississauga, he'll get to play with him - a silver lining to the dark cloud of being traded as a veteran to a non contender.

Some people made it sound like he requested or welcomed a deal to Mississauga before the trade was consummated.

I don't believe that was the case.
Both his parents replied to a tweet I made about the trade being a poor one. I think they were surprised it happened.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Both his parents replied to a tweet I made about the trade being a poor one. I think they were surprised it happened.

I believe that MM felt he had to do something at the deadline. The word was he was asking too much for guys like Meireles and Yantsis. As it stands now, he's destined to get the same return for both those guys somewhere in the ballpark of the return that guys like Hancock, Maksimovich and Salinitri brought this year. That'll depend on how the first half of next season plays out for these two.

If it were me, I'd have stood pat instead of giving McHugh away for below his value. He'd have helped us this year and if next year we sell off guys like Meireles, Yantsis and Damiani for good return, he and Garreffa could have played out the duration of their time in this league as Rangers (sonce trading all five is asking too much).

The only way I'd have moved McHugh at this deadline for that return is if it were to a contender to give the player a shot at a championship. In that situation the return is secondary. The interests of the player would come first.

Instead, we move McHugh to arguably a worse situation than he'd have had here since Mississauga traded off their high end vets, for a return that we'd likely have been able to get for him in the off season if it came to that.

Last edited:

Connected

Jul 2, 2015
Hearing that Hugg is finalizing talks with an SHL team for a spot next year, as expected. Big import draft coming up for McKenzie, likely looking for a top goalie and some offensive production up front to replace Hugg and Lipanov.

A few names to keep an eye on that could meet those needs are Jesper Wallstedt (G), Justus Annunen (G), Lucas Raymond (F), Dmitri Sheshin (F) and Simon Holmstrom (F).

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Hearing that Hugg is finalizing talks with an SHL team for a spot next year, as expected. Big import draft coming up for McKenzie, likely looking for a top goalie and some offensive production up front to replace Hugg and Lipanov.

A few names to keep an eye on that could meet those needs are Jesper Wallstedt (G), Justus Annunen (G), Lucas Raymond (F), Dmitri Sheshin (F) and Simon Holmstrom (F).

MM needs to do his due diligence. Whoever we draft, we need to pick players who will REPORT!!!!

No more Anderssons please. Not of the Lias nor Axel variety.

I mean, let's be real here. Not drafting a player who would report in the 2018 import draft cost us two 3rd round picks. (Lipanov).

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
MM needs to do his due diligence. Whoever we draft, we need to pick players who will REPORT!!!!

No more Anderssons please. Not of the Lias nor Axel variety.

I mean, let's be real here. Not drafting a player who would report in the 2018 import draft cost us two 3rd round picks. (Lipanov).
Do we still have Axel's rights until we make Import picks this year or did we already give those up? Just looking at stats, it's looking like Boston may have made the wrong choice. 4 points in 33 in sweden's 2nd tier pro league isn't great. Since's it's a mens pro league, he's likely not getting near the ice time he would have in Kitchener against his peer group.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Do we still have Axel's rights until we make Import picks this year or did we already give those up? Just looking at stats, it's looking like Boston may have made the wrong choice. 4 points in 33 in sweden's 2nd tier pro league isn't great. Since's it's a mens pro league, he's likely not getting near the ice time he would have in Kitchener against his peer group.

if I recall correctly, the Knights signed Adam Boqvist in July 2018. they picked him in the 2017 import draft. I believe they will still have his rights post import draft

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
if I recall correctly, the Knights signed Adam Boqvist in July 2018. they picked him in the 2017 import draft. I believe they will still have his rights post import draft
Didnt the Rangers need to waive Axels rights to be able to trade for Lipinov? (More a question than a statement) right now the Rangers have Hugg and Lipinov. Not sure you can carry two import players and own rights to another.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Didnt the Rangers need to waive Axels rights to be able to trade for Lipinov? (More a question than a statement) right now the Rangers have Hugg and Lipinov. Not sure you can carry two import players and own rights to another.

IIRC, The Boqvist rule, much like when we kept Lias Anderson’s rights is only for players drafted in the 1st round of the NHL draft.
So Axels rights would have been let go as he was drafted after the 1st.

But, I could be wrong!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
IIRC, The Boqvist rule, much like when we kept Lias Anderson’s rights is only for players drafted in the 1st round of the NHL draft.
So Axels rights would have been let go as he was drafted after the 1st.

But, I could be wrong!

I've read on these boards that the rule was changed to include all drafted imports - not just 1st rounders. But I could be wrong too.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Have been impressed with McHugh, he seems to have injured his jaw, wearing a full cage lately. Works hard, just isn't finishing around the net. He seems to know where the puck will wind up, good hockey sense.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Have been impressed with McHugh, he seems to have injured his jaw, wearing a full cage lately. Works hard, just isn't finishing around the net. He seems to know where the puck will wind up, good hockey sense.
McHugh was seriously injured a while back after being hit in the jaw with a puck. Probably the same issue.

Reactions: Tarantula
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->