Kirby Dach Appreciation Thread

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
20-25G, 50-60A, two way possession monster is honestly a pretty realistic projection for him

get better on draws and work on release and he could be special
That's the conservative projection.

I think he could go from 20-25 goals to 30-35 goals just by being a Tomas Holmstrom-like pest in front of goalies. If he improves his shot he's a top 5 player in hockey. Don't underestimate how he could beat goalies with his deking either.

He seems like a guy that could score more goals than you'd otherwise think due to his hockey smarts and size.

Reactions: Dominance

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
That's the conservative projection.

I think he could go from 20-25 goals to 30-35 goals just by being a Tomas Holmstrom-like pest in front of goalies. If he improves his shot he's a top 5 player in hockey. Don't underestimate how he could beat goalies with his deking either.

He seems like a guy that could score more goals than you'd otherwise think due to his hockey smarts and size.
There is nothing conservative about projecting Dach gets at least 70pts a season in his prime while playing a strong defensive game.

Toews struggled with achieving that feat, only getting past 70pts twice in his career (admittedly, he would've done it in 2013 had it not been for the lockout).

I hope Dach can hit that level, but a lot has to go right for that to happen. Something even greater than that takes an incredible amount of wishful thinking right now.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
There is nothing conservative about projecting Dach gets at least 70pts a season in his prime while playing a strong defensive game.

Toews struggled with achieving that feat, only getting past 70pts twice in his career (admittedly, he would've done it in 2013 had it not been for the lockout).

I hope Dach can hit that level, but a lot has to go right for that to happen. Something even greater than that takes an incredible amount of wishful thinking right now.
I could see him hovering around a ppg, with potential for even more. Seriously I think 60-70pts is conservative and he's a good bet to get there, but there's so much more in the toolbox.

You could dream on him being a consistent 80-90 pts and it's not out of the question.

The high end of his projection is 25+60=85 anyway.
Low end is 20+50=70. I think that projection is pretty maxed out in the assist dept. but I think there's 30-35 goal seasons in him. Thornton, Spezza, Getzlaf all had seasons like that.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I could see him hovering around a ppg, with potential for even more. Seriously I think 60-70pts is conservative and he's a good bet to get there, but there's so much more in the toolbox.

You could dream on him being a consistent 80-90 pts and it's not out of the question.

Kopitar's best season was 92 points so I think 85 is a fair high-end number.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

60 is conservative. The 70-85pts that you called conservative a few posts above is anything but.

I like the kid, think highly of his potential. But you're overhyping him again. A PPG Selke contending center is a guy who is a small step down from McDavid. Again, it's a lot to ask.

Expect Scheifele, hope for Kopitar/Getzlaf, stop dreaming about Lindros.

Reactions: BK

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
60 is conservative. The 70-85pts that you called conservative a few posts above is anything but.

I like the kid, think highly of his potential. But you're overhyping him again. A PPG Selke contending center is a guy who is a small step down from McDavid. Again, it's a lot to ask.

This.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Scheifele is a PPG center. He scores 30 goals per year.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Ever. He is a pass-first type and always has been.
It depends on if he ever decides to shoot. Remember how Kane looked early on? Getzlaf and Spezza always have been pass first and they have a season or two where they scored 30+ goals.

Spezza scored 30+ goals 5 times. Getzlaf did it once.

Scheifele has been scoring at a ppg for the last 5 seasons and scored 38 goals as a career high in the last full season. You were saying?

Getzlaf career high in goals=31
Spezza=34(3x)
Scheifele=38 (30+3x)

What is Mark Scheifele with Selke caliber D?

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
And he's not a Selke level guy. His defense is average for a 1C.

If you expect Dach to get hard minutes against opposing top lines, his offense is going to take a hit.
It depends on what they ask of him, as we've seen with Toews. What type of player do you want him to be?

Like I said I think Kopitar with worse faceoffs is his ceiling, and I stand by that.

Kopitar's average season is 25+47=72 and I don't think that's nuts for him.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It depends on if he ever decides to shoot. Remember how Kane looked early on? Getzlaf and Spezza always have been pass first and they have a season or two where they scored 30+ goals.

Spezza scored 30+ goals 5 times. Getzlaf did it once.

Scheifele has been scoring at a ppg for the last 5 seasons and scored 38 goals as a career high in the last full season. You were saying?

Getzlaf career high in goals=31
Spezza=34(3x)
Scheifele=38 (30+3x)

What is Mark Scheifele with Selke caliber D?

None of those players play great D.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Cold Steel on Ice

Feb 12, 2020
I wish he would shoot more instead of seemingly always looking to pass first.Hawks need rebounds and some ugly goals if they are going to win this series.Dach looks great so far otherwise.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It depends on what they ask of him, as we've seen with Toews.
Who knows what they ask.

But if you want him to play like Kopitar, that big defensive center that can go toe-to-toe with anybody, you have to expect his point totals to be lower than him getting easy minutes against bottom six guys and a lot of offensive zone starts.

It goes back to the debate about how great Toews has been throughout his career. His point totals never matched with him being a top 10 center in the league for most of his career, let alone arguably the best center after Crosby for a few years there. But some people felt that his defense made up for those lower point totals.

It's a tall ask to have Dach put up those point totals you want AND to be the defensive player you wish for him to become. Toews, for the most part, struggled with it. And Toews is a future first ballot HOFer.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Who knows what they ask.

But if you want him to play like Kopitar, that big defensive center that can go toe-to-toe with anybody, you have to expect his point totals to be lower than him getting easy minutes against bottom six guys and a lot of offensive zone starts.

It goes back to the debate about how great Toews has been throughout his career. His point totals never matched with him being a top 10 center in the league for most of his career, let alone arguably the best center after Crosby for a few years there. But some people felt that his defense made up for those lower point totals.

It's a tall ask to have Dach put up those point totals you want AND to be the defensive player you wish for him to become. Toews, for the most part, struggled with it. And Toews is a future first ballot HOFer.
People recognize Kopitar more than Toews for some reason, despite Toews being the better goal scorer.

Dach is already pretty damn good on D outside of faceoffs.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
That's true. Like I said I think he can be Kopitar if that's what they want out of him, and he can be Scheifele if that's what they want out of him. Which would you rather have?
Kopitar, in his prime, was the better player, so obviously him.

But that's what we're all getting at, it's hard to get to that level.

Reactions: BK

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Dach is an absolute beast. His play has elevated since the return even in a two-game sample, in every facet, eye-test, analytics, box-score.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Kopitar, in his prime, was the better player, so obviously him.

But that's what we're all getting at, it's hard to get to that level.
My opinion is that Dach could be either an 85-90 point guy with slightly above average D or a 70-75 point guy with elite D. It's all about how Colliton or the coaching staff develops him.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
People recognize Kopitar more than Toews for some reason, despite Toews being the better goal scorer.

Dach is already pretty damn good on D outside of faceoffs.
Recognize him how? In general or with regards to comparisons to Dach?

Because Toews and Kopitar have a lot in common talent level wise. But Dach plays a bit more like Kopitar than he does Toews, which is why his name keeps coming up in this thread.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Recognize him how? In general or with regards to comparisons to Dach?

Because Toews and Kopitar have a lot in common talent level wise. But Dach plays a bit more like
In general.
It started with Toews being more recognized early in his career but later Kopitar gets more recognition.
Kopitar than he does Toews, which is why his name keeps coming up in this thread.
In general.

I think Kopitar gets more recognition for being a great two way player than Toews does on HF. People think Kopitar is just better than Toews whereas I think they're similar players but they rack up their points differently.

There's no reason why Bergeron and Kopitar should have more Selkes than Toews. Toews is right there with them.

And by the way if I had the choice on how to develop Dach I'd choose the Kopitar route easily as that wins Stanley Cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad