HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
As has been posted may times - I am sure no one offered a first for Anderson and if they did they would have wanted retention. There is no way Hughes was retaining for 4 years. Lehkonen is overrated. he is a very good player but his production is not good enough for the line he is playing on. They got a reasonable return for him. Barron is still developing and the pick hasn't been made or traded yet.

A goal scorer would be more useful but where are they going to get one?

It’s a fair question, but I don’t think it’s something we have to force by giving up draft capital.

Draft the BPA, continue developing the talent we already have and will acquire, move some more veterans like Savard for more first round picks, and take on cap dumps for assets. Realistically they have one more year of likely not making the playoffs so stay the course that’s already been laid out… and make your big moves after 2024-2025 plays out… maybe take a run at someone like Draisaitl and Crosby? They should have a ton of cap space and one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL at that point.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Imagine giving up on Barron this early and trading him for peanuts where he turns into a top 4D with another team because he matures in the age 23-25 range like so many D men do in the NHL. That would hurt and we would be guilty of being impatient and desperate to make trades

We need to chill on D development. Barron has the rare size/skating/shot power and he's just late on the maturity scale... like so many others. Hold onto him for a while yet before we trade him for a low return.

It's funny how quick some fans are to turn sour on prospects...

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Imagine giving up on Barron this early and trading him for peanuts where he turns into a top 4D with another team because he matures in the age 23-25 range like so many D men do in the NHL. That would hurt and we would be guilty of being impatient and desperate to make trades

We need to chill on D development. Barron has the rare size/skating/shot power and he's just late on the maturity scale... like so many others. Hold onto him for a while yet before we trade him for a low return.
Can’t teach hunger & courage - Barron has neither

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Leafs D and goaltending is the biggest issue. You can have skill/skating up front and win if you have sound D but they don't have it. Offense is created by strong D and the forwards gain confidence from this as well. I think their forwards feel like they need to do more in the defensive end to overcome it and that can wear you out.

Cap issues but Pietrangelo was the guy they needed.
When Nylander held out I thought Dubois was being forced into doing what the Leafs had to do, trade one of the star forwards for a star D man. I was incredulous when Dubois caved. And the Leafs haven't had the guts to move a Core4 for the D they need. And then the goalie issue lol.

Edit: lol. Did a recent post on PLD, had Dubois on my mind. Meant Dubas of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I was going to post a separate thread titled "what if"? But, it probably wouldn't get any traction.

So, Ill ask it here......What if we win the lottery and sign Stamkos. Does that make us a serious threat in the next few years? It's two things....just two little things away.

The Stamkos deal would be something like 3 x 8, to carry us through Celebrlini's ELC.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Stamkos - Dach - Celebrini
Newhook - Dvorak - Roy
Anderson - Evans - Gally

Those four lines would be unreal.

Matheson - Guhle
Savard - Hutson
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Harris/Struble/Barron

Insert Reinbacher when he is ready.

Reactions: Rozz

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Speaking of French expressions, I had always thought it odd whenever I heard the expression « c’est là que le bas blesse ».

What — get injured by a sock?

Just looked it up and it’s not « bas » but « bât », which is a packsaddle that was used on donkeys to which objects were attached and where maladjusted or the weight too heavy, it would cause injuries that could only be ascertained once the packsaddle was removed.

15th century expression, who knew.

And now back to your regularly scheduled puns and artifices.
Speaking of another old expression when two players gets in a fight, they often say "ils ont maille à partir", I was thinking of knitting starting, something difficult but I was all wrong. "Maille" was the smallest money in ancient french regime and "partir" was the old word for "partager" (split or part off). So often there was conflicts when two persons wanted to split the smallest money dime. So it could be they have a dime to split to translate in english.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
As has been posted may times - I am sure no one offered a first for Anderson and if they did they would have wanted retention. There is no way Hughes was retaining for 4 years. Lehkonen is overrated. he is a very good player but his production is not good enough for the line he is playing on. They got a reasonable return for him. Barron is still developing and the pick hasn't been made or traded yet.
According to who, you? Truth is, if we go back to HuGo's first season, they had plenty of opportunity to trade Anderson for a 1st +. They chose not to because they thought he would play well and increase his value, he played horribly and it was a bad gamble from management.

They needed to move out some players and most of the vets were worthless. They moved guys like Toffoli and Lehkonen who did not fit their timeline.
They traded all of their good players on good contracts and kept all their bad players on bad contracts. Any GM in the league could have done that. Now we are entirely handcuffed with a full roster and very little flexibility, and the guys we got in return are Mesar and Barron 2 of the biggest bums in the system

Reactions: ReHabs

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I wish we’d collectively let go of that deal, it was a mistake and there’s nothing we can do about it. Thankfully, Hughes has done better with subsequent trades.
I think many are jumping the gun. Barron is still only 22. He will turn 23 in November. I liked Lehky but Barron has offensive chops and his defensive lapses are not as egregious as some make them out to be. If we're worried about losing him on waivers then trade Kovacevic.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think many are jumping the gun. Barron is still only 22. He will turn 23 in November. I liked Lehky but Barron has offensive chops and his defensive lapses are not as egregious as some make them out to be. If we're worried about losing him on waivers then trade Kovacevic.

0 chance Hughes places him on waivers.

But it will be interesting to see how Hughes handles the excess D. The only option I see to not have a trade is we go 8D in Montreal and Struble starts the year in Laval (barring injury). I think Hutson for sure starts in Montreal.

But I expect Hughes to trade 1 or 2 of Barron, Struble, Harris, or Kovacevic.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron/Struble/Harris
Kovacevic

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
We don't need the team to make it next season and you shouldn't want it, as that's just going to lead to terrible decisions signing players, mainly free agents to contracts that won't help enough
Could there be a case where you and I and someone else could have a difference of opinion about this?

Like I said, speak for yourself. I want to see a better team next year. If they fall short of the playoffs, so be it -- no one needs to get fired -- but they should be playing competitive games all throughout the whole season for the greater good of the team.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Could there be a case where you and I and someone else could have a difference of opinion about this?

Like I said, speak for yourself. I want to see a better team next year. If they fall short of the playoffs, so be it -- no one needs to get fired -- but they should be playing competitive games all throughout the whole season for the greater good of the team.
That's fine and all, but TVA is making it seem like playoffs, or bust.

Like you said, nothing should happen if they miss, but just don't go out there and try and sign players who don't fit to be a bit better just to hurt the rebuild, retool, whatever it is.

Reactions: Rozz and bsl

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can’t teach hunger & courage - Barron has neither

Not sure I agree with that. Barron may turn into another Beaulieu but it's not determined yet. I feel like Barron will be very good if or when he figures out the maturity part. Could be from age 23-25 or 25+. How much patience will we have? Probably not much because we have a clutter of D to manage

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Like you said, nothing should happen if they miss, but just don't go out there and try and sign players who don't fit to be a bit better just to hurt the rebuild, retool, whatever it is.
I don’t think HuGo cares what TVA thinks. It was clear from hearing their end of season press conference that they’re looking to start elevating the team now, but they aren’t going to go crazy to get immediate results like we’ve seen previous management teams. They’re still following the plan which is rebuilding the team properly.

Reactions: Rozz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's funny how quick some fans are to turn sour on prospects...

I honestly don't think our fan base and media is patient enough. Prospects are prospects and not many of them reach their ceilings but we tend to want them to reach it faster and run out of patience.

Look at Primeau. Good example of the up/down rollercoaster ride in development. He really is starting to show his potential at age 24 this year.

With D, it also takes longer before you know for sure. I'll trust Crosby on his assessment with Barron. They train together and Crosby has said good things. With Barron, I find he has all the tools but he struggling in the positioning areas of the game in our own end. That comes with maturity and it appears he later vs earlier. I still have confidence he can reach his potential.

I think Hutson already forced his way in the line-up.....and it should be an eventful summer for the Habs so I highly doubt this is even a possibility as a D-squad next year.

It's time to make some move.

It appears Hutson is ready in terms of the offensive areas but with the defensive areas, it's too hard to know after 2 NHL games. I have faith he comes into camp ready but I'm also OK with him starting in the AHL.

Making moves? I'm sure we will try. We have to assume Hughes make a few of them this summer. Hopefully we are not making moves for the sake of it and they are good moves for the organization

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

It's compete for the playoffs or bust. It doesn't mean go full Yzerman and add bad contracts, that just bad management. It means prime your assets for competing.

This team has a losing record since 2016 now, it's enough of accumulation

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Speaking of another old expression when two players gets in a fight, they often say "ils ont maille à partir", I was thinking of knitting starting, something difficult but I was all wrong. "Maille" was the smallest money in ancient french regime and "partir" was the old word for "partager" (split or part off). So often there was conflicts when two persons wanted to split the smallest money dime. So it could be they have a dime to split to translate in english.
Lots of those are recurring in hockey. « Avoir pain sur la planche », « «ménager la chèvre et le chou», etc.

Although, those crotchmasters yapping from their couches on AC, even if they are all wealthy, are dressed like « la chienne à Jacques ».

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's say Guhle is the main piece in a trade for a top forward like Zegras.

Our D could look like this to start the season:

Matheson-Barron
Xhekaj-Savard
Struble-Kovacevic
Harris

I would expect the three prospects to get some games with the big club, with Mailloux being first in line I would imagine. Surely there will be some injuries.

Even better would be if we could move Savard and his Cup pedigree for a first, and sign a younger defensive UFA like Matt Roy to take his place on the 2nd pair.

I don't like the idea of trading Guhle. Big mobile D who is proven at a young age. Love to add Zegras but not at the cost of Guhle. Rather trade Struble, Jets 1st, and Mesar. Ducks might bite on that... regardless of what their fans say. That's 3 very good young assets that helps their rebuild.

Call me crazy but I prefer to trade the 5th OA pick for Zegras vs including Guhle.

What's your assessment on Zegras? Proven 60 pts forward but does he have 80+ in him? Would we be spoiling him with more talent to work with and then having to pay him more like the Leafs did with Marner? Zegras to me is a legit 60-80 pts guy but he's more on the soft side as a forward and someone like Dach or Suzuki will help him reach his ceiling. That's what's on my mind about Zegras anyways. Points are points but I want hockey players who can play playoff style and not fade away when the games gets rough.

At the end of the day, Zegras is a 60 pts forward. I hope that's what we are paying for, not a 80+ forward who may never reach it.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

It's playoffs or bust for 90% of Habs fans.

HF breeds a rare form of super fan that wants to tank for 3-5 straight years to get good players, to hopefully get wins later on.

Most fans just want to cheer for wins, and they want them to happen sooner.

Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad