Kirby Dach Appreciation Thread

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Wouldn't trade Dach for any 2019 pick. Bold? I think not.

Yeah, things may change, but, for now, Dach's on top, IMO.

I don’t think I would either. There’s probably a good chance Dach is the best two-way player of the top three, maybe the other two end up as better offensive player though.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Bowman again coming up huge with a pick analysts and many hockey fans thought came from “left field”.

Dach in a few short years is going to be an absolute stud.
I can't get over how he was just bullying the Oilers along the boards. Tossing around Drai like a rag doll the entire game....Drai is 6-2 210 as well. It was mighty impressive. I haven't seen someone that physically dominant in a long time.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
got around to watching this recently and for being only two games into nhl career at the time this interview was done the kid sure had a ton of confidence...the story about him barking at his coach is hilarious...future captain for sure

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
We can hope the Dach turns out better than No-check. He looks more confident now.

I don't like the comparison at all. No doubt that Edzo was great offensively but very much one-dimensional. Dach is a complete player who will only get better and is already good enough defensively to kill penalties. I doubt he hits Eddie O's numbers though it is possible once he is inserted in the top-6.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
It looks like the Hawks staff did their homework with the #3 pick and made the right choice. It’s clear watching him now that he will be at a minimum a two way centerman that has great size, skating and intelligence on the ice. His speed and how he can skate on his edges (turns/cuts) with his size is really impressive.

What remains to be seen is whether he has the goal scoring touch. He looks to be a great passer but will he have a goal scorers knack for being in the right place-right time and/or a great shot. If he develops or has that then look out - he could a franchise player.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It looks like the Hawks staff did their homework with the #3 pick and made the right choice. It’s clear watching him now that he will be at a minimum a two way centerman that has great size, skating and intelligence on the ice. His speed and how he can skate on his edges (turns/cuts) with his size is really impressive.

What remains to be seen is whether he has the goal scoring touch. He looks to be a great passer but will he have a goal scorers knack for being in the right place-right time and/or a great shot. If he develops or has that then look out - he could a franchise player.

Once Dach gets to play with players who can get him the puck down low, I can see him being a pretty good garbage man. We have seen glimpses of him using that great reach in tight quarters with the ops goalie.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

He doesn't have a great shot, but I could see him being the right place right time type of goal scorer...I wouldn't put it past him to be a franchise player at all....he's gotta work on his faceoffs though because he's pretty bad at the dot right now. IMO it's the only think keeping him from future Selke nominations.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Most of his goals will either come from rebounds or backhanders. The kid's wrister is the one glaring fault I have with him.

Fortunately his hands, reach, puck protection, and IQ will allow him the potential to put up 50-60 assists per season. Goalscoring becomes less of a need for him because of that.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Most of his goals will either come from rebounds or backhanders. The kid's wrister is the one glaring fault I have with him.

Fortunately his hands, reach, puck protection, and IQ will allow him the potential to put up 50-60 assists per season. Goalscoring becomes less of a need for him because of that.

He can work on his shot...Kane didn't develop it for a few years into his career...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
He can work on his shot...Kane didn't develop it for a few years into his career...

It’ll get better than it is now for sure but he’s never going to be a perennial 30 goal scorer. It’s why he’s so similar to Getzlaf and Thornton in my mind. Big, plays with some snarl, good reach, gonna rack up a ton of helpers.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Like Ray said, it'll get better, but I don't see it improving much. He hasn't shown much velocity or quick release on his shot and with his stick being so long (which is a good things in a lot of respects, but not here), he'll have a hard time even if he tried to improve. It's a lot of stick to swing at a puck in a fast sport.

But like I said, who cares if his shot won't ever be much? He could put up 20 goals a season just by getting to the dirty areas or by throwing his sick backhander on net. He'll make up for a week wrister and one timer by putting up a ton of assists and playing a strong 2-way game.

Reactions: Muffinalt

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Like Ray said, it'll get better, but I don't see it improving much. He hasn't shown much velocity or quick release on his shot and with his stick being so long (which is a good things in a lot of respects, but not here), he'll have a hard time even if he tried to improve. It's a lot of stick to swing at a puck in a fast sport.

But like I said, who cares if his shot won't ever be much? He could put up 20 goals a season just by getting to the dirty areas or by throwing his sick backhander on net. He'll make up for a week wrister and one timer by putting up a ton of assists and playing a strong 2-way game.

Yeah let him get those greasy goals and cause chaos with that huge frame of his driving goalies mad on the PP.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
20-25G, 50-60A, two way possession monster is honestly a pretty realistic projection for him

get better on draws and work on release and he could be special

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Project now, just a hyperbole but still:

Devils vs Hawks, Stanley Cup final. You put Jack Hughes vs Kirby Dach in postseason game.

You just take Dach.

Always...he's built to be a playoff monster for years to come

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad