Kirby Dach Appreciation Thread

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I’ve never been happier to have picked the wrong guy. I didn’t see enough of Dach to have a strong enough opinion on him but was interested when they selected him and then I dug in on him more and was really happy with the pick. Kudos to those who were on the train pre-draft. Kid is going to be a star.

Remember how pissed I was? I managed to watch him that season during his slump and I was ready to call for Stan's head when they took him. I was very wrong about Mr Dach.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The question I have is why was Dach underrated by most scouts? Maybe they thought the excessive dangling would not translate to the NHL game. He seems to have already toned that down and his confidence level has always been impressive for a young kid. His attitude is as much an attribute as his skill. After the lay-off, I'd like to know what Dach weighs now. It certainly is over 200 lbs and climbing.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The question I have is why was Dach underrated by most scouts? Maybe they thought the excessive dangling would not translate to the NHL game. He seems to have already toned that down and his confidence level has always been impressive for a young kid. His attitude is as much an attribute as his skill. After the lay-off, I'd like to know what Dach weighs now. It certainly is over 200 lbs and climbing.
He had a bad month or two points wise. Though some on the draft boards said he was playing the same way, just that his teammates couldn't capitalize from his plays.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Whoever mentioned that Dach's growth spurt might have been the cause of his skating issues at the draft and that his skating might improve once he grew into his body a bit was bang on. He's already gained a step(at least) in that department and he's still a teenager.

As far as his shot goes he has plenty of time to improve on that. Hell he blew one by Koskinen and rang it off the post last game.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Whoever mentioned that Dach's growth spurt might have been the cause of his skating issues at the draft and that his skating might improve once he grew into his body a bit was bang on. He's already gained a step(at least) in that department and he's still a teenager.

As far as his shot goes he has plenty of time to improve on that. Hell he blew one by Koskinen and rang it off the post last game.

TBH, he shoots so rarely that I have no idea if he has a good shot or not... so yeah, snapping that shot off was good to see.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Byram was my pick as well, but I ain't complaining right now.

Granted, in five years we may very well prefer a Turcotte or a Byram or someone else picked lower depending on development, but at the very least barring health I'm confident that Dach won't be viewed as a bust pick even if he slides a tad in retrospective redraft threads.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
There is something about Dach stepping into this series and performing like he has that just gives ya the feeling he's going to be a really special player...the confidence to go against mcdavid and drai and hold his own as a rookie, he's the type of guy you build a team around and love to have come playoff hockey time...every cup team needs a center like him and right now we have two of those guys to build around...he might be a huge benefit to toews being productive longer into his career than otherwise because dach is built to handle the same matchups as a young toews...the kid is like if you took your favorite attributes/qualities from a prime toews/kane/hossa and put it into one player and that's what dach will be

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I was all for Byram, and was admittedly a bit angry when the Hawks passed up on a potential stud defenceman, considering Keith's best days are likely behind him. Especially considering the Avs picked Byram with the next pick. As if their defense isn't already stacked enough as it is.

On draft day when they picked Dach, my jaw dropped to the floor because if they weren't going to take Byram, I did no expect them to make Dach their choice. That being said, I'm impressed as f*** with the kid and barring any sort of setback I can see him becoming one of the most dominant big centermen in the league.

For a kid his size, he can move! Just wait until he matures and puts on his man-weight. I can see him bullying people off the puck night in and night out.

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
There is something about Dach stepping into this series and performing like he has that just gives ya the feeling he's going to be a really special player...the confidence to go against mcdavid and drai and hold his own as a rookie, he's the type of guy you build a team around and love to have come playoff hockey time...every cup team needs a center like him and right now we have two of those guys to build around...he might be a huge benefit to toews being productive longer into his career than otherwise because dach is built to handle the same matchups as a young toews...the kid is like if you took your favorite attributes/qualities from a prime toews/kane/hossa and put it into one player and that's what dach will be

I was thinking that too after seeing his ice time last night and him playing in every situation. Just knowing that you've got Kirby on the team to take some of the load off you has got to be reinvigorating for Toews and very likely extends his window of being a prime contributor to this team and franchise.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Kirby Dach has alot of Jack Eichel in him. I don't think he ever shoots as much as Eichel, but the long stick, big man who skates well, moves, hockey IQ, forcing turnovers. I doubt he ever scores as many goals, but he is likely a nastier, Western conference version of Eichel

I can see this guy being a top 10 player in the World in his prime

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
My only concern really with Dach is that he tends to play offensively with reckless abandon. Reminds me of Roenick in that regard and I'd hate to see him go through the knee injuries that Jeremy suffered through because of that style. We saw what can happen last night when Archibald caught him with a questionably low hip. Thankfully the check was more to his thigh than his knee but you get my drift.

Reactions: Giovi

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Even KBS named Byram and Cozens too with Dach. The fact that he's trying to say "Oh I said Dach and Dach only" is hilarious.

#KevinMustofullcredit.
I voted for him in the poll. I said any of the three were fine, I trust Kelley and Bowman. But Dach was my preference.
Go look it up.
After more research I soured on Byram.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I was never looking into Dach because it was said he was the slowest of the like 5 bunch considered. I wonder what I would of thought.

I never was in for Bynam. He just didn't have the physical puck battle win creds I thought to be considered that high or a #1. And I soured on Turcotte after seeing he literally had 2 goals off a shot outside the net front and it concerned me he may go schmaltz like. But I wish I watched Dach before it was rhe rumored pick

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kirby Dach has alot of Jack Eichel in him. I don't think he ever shoots as much as Eichel, but the long stick, big man who skates well, moves, hockey IQ, forcing turnovers. I doubt he ever scores as many goals, but he is likely a nastier, Western conference version of Eichel

I can see this guy being a top 10 player in the World in his prime

honestly this is a pretty good comp as far as reach, long stick, the skill, the way they carry the puck etc...but he has something a bit more than what eichel brings defensively and physically...

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
I'm impressed with Kirby every night. He is still making silly mistakes and sometimes will float around, but he has these absolutely BRILLIANT moments where you think "omg this kid is so talented"

He's already very good defensively, he hustles to loose pucks and is surprisingly fast when he turns on his jets. Good edgework too.

I agree with whoever said that in his prime he's gonna be a top 10 player. There's really not much to dislike about him.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I wanted Turcotte or Byram, but as you could tell from the PFP I love Dach.

Just like the Boqvist pick we swung for the fences, and it looks like we could have not just a home run, but a grand slam here. Dach's been our best player through this series so far imo.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
With Dachs but in Enis last game I will give great consideration to naming one of my fantasy teams “Kirby Krunch”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->