Kirby Dach Appreciation Thread

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Yeah I guess I never really thought about it but how do guys like Button, Mackenzie, the NHL Network guys, TSN guys, etc...determine their lists? Are they out there on the road even a little bit? Tough to imagine they’re seeing watching NHL and most CHL games over a season. Maybe they are, who knows. Do they have a bunch of scout-friends that they trust who send in their lists?

If you’re not watching these kids regularly how can you formulate a detailed opinion about them? Just look at HF Boards on the main thread. Apparently a tens of thousands of die hard hockey fans and they still say tons of stupid shit about the Blackhawks and have since I started posting here. There’s probably STILL people that think Kane played most of his career on Toews’ line. All because they’ll see a couple Hawks regular season games every now and then and they think they know what they’re talking about.

I think the media guys listed watch the World Juniors and probably some CHL games including the Memorial Cup tournament. Beyond that probably just the odd game of players getting buzz. They can't possibly spend a lot of time on Euro leagues where you may have one or two prospects playing with men or lower tier Euro leagues. Are USHL games regularly broadcast? I can't imagine the Canadian media watches too many of them.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Does Dach get the C?

Some scratch paper roster based on invites:

Laf Dach Krebs
Perfetti Byfield Cozens
Jarvis Newhook Quinn
Holloway Zary Mercer
Poulin Lapierre Wright
Pelletier Bourque Beckman

Byram Drysdale
Power Barron
Guhle Schneider

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
By all means, Dach should be given free rein to wreak havoc. You let your stallion run. And I fully believe JC will. As long as Dach's playing well, he'll be playing a lot. Watching him blossom is going to be a treat.

Really want him working on his shot and not deferring as much.

agreed, Dach is going to be a treat to watch and I hope he looks to be one of the rare Centres in the NHL that does in fact look to shoot first at times, in recent memory Eric Staal was exactly that when he erupted on the Carolina scene...

that is the mentality that I hope Dach has, why pass it all the time when I can shoot and score myself

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Does Dach get the C?

Laf Dach Krebs
Perfetti Byfield Cozens
Jarvis Newhook Quinn
Holloway Zary Mercer
Poulin Lapierre Wright

Byram Drysdale
Power Barron
Guhle Schneider

Likely a letter for sure, not sure if it will be C or A....

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
World Juniors are in Alberta. He literally doesn't even have to get on a plane to go.
Yeah, don’t know who “Shelly” is, but that’s an absurd statement.

Wear a mask, wash your hands, bubble the team.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
So just reading up on the Canadian team. Here are the key points:

-47 players selected for training camp including Dach.
-Dach is one of 26 first round draft picks and the only NHL player.
-Final roster will be 22 skaters and three goalies.
-The selection runs from Nov. 16 in a bubble for a month. If Canada makes it to the final, the bubble will be 51 days.
-They're doing it because none of the players are playing hockey in the lead up to the tournament with the CHL and other leagues on hiatus which is not normal while Euro players are playing
-They're not worried about putting them in a bubble as they're not away from spouses or kids so they don't expect it to be an issue.
-There will be scrims and games played through selection camp.
-Only one 16 year old invited, Shane Wright
-Lafreniere at this point is not going.

I can see why the Hawks loaned Kirby, it will give him a chance to skate and play in advance of the season in a bubbled environment. With Dach, Cozens and Byfield their centre depth is bonkers. First link below includes the full roster and the second details about the camp and bubble.

I'm excited to watch Kirby compete and I expect a few other Hawks in the mix. I would assume Teply and Reichel are locks for their countries. Not sure what is happening with the US, but Commesso should be in the mix?

Forty-seven players invited to Hockey Canada's World Juniors selection camp - TSN.ca

JONES: Kirby Dach highlights Canadian roster for World Juniors | The Chronicle Herald

Reactions: pvr and Muffinalt

Matt93

Sep 30, 2005
Does Dach get the C?

Laf Dach Krebs
Perfetti Byfield Cozens
Jarvis Newhook Quinn
Holloway Zary Mercer
Poulin Lapierre Wright

Byram Drysdale
Power Barron
Guhle Schneider

You missed McMichael who has a good chance at the C

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I don't think Dach has ever worn a letter while representing Canada internationally, so I can't see him being named captain. If Lafreniere isn't back, I assume it'll be Krebs. I could certainly see him wearing an A though. Krebs as captain; Dach, Byram and Cozens as alternates imo. Funny that they're all from out west too.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I don't think Dach has ever worn a letter while representing Canada internationally, so I can't see him being named captain. If Lafreniere isn't back, I assume it'll be Krebs. I could certainly see him wearing an A though. Krebs as captain; Dach, Byram and Cozens as alternates imo. Funny that they're all from out west too.

He would've absolutely worn one if the Hawks sent him to World Juniors the past season (probably would've been the captain). Not a doubt in my mind the kid with the NHL experience (and by all accounts is an absolute leader) is getting a letter. You can debate the captaincy all you like.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Canucks fan checking in to say that that play by Dach was incredible.

I have been playing/watching hockey since 1995. The only time I have seen that move was when a trainer who was an ex-NHLer was playing a scrimmage with me and a bunch of other young teenagers.

To do that at WJC camp is incredible.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
He recently came out with a list of top 25 players under 23 years old or something like that and it was atrocious. Isn’t Pronman the guy who doesn’t like Boqvist or Mitchell too?

Pretty sure he also didnt like Heiskanen at #3 and Makar and Q Hughes in their drafts

If Pronman really was that good at evaluating young talent he would be a scout. I read him kinda to see who is on the radar but I don't even know if he attends games in person. For the number of players he ranks, I really can't imagine he watches that much tape per player.

I think, by contrast, a guy like Bob MacKenzie does his rankings based on talking to sources so his rankings are more about what players are generating interest.

Bob's lists are from like 10 different NHL team scouts and its averaged out from what I recall hearing

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

When it comes to junior tournaments, letters are basically just given to the best and most experienced players. I fully expect the letters to be Dach, Byram, and one of Cozens/Byfield.

Also Dach was an alternate for the Blades and it may not be much but was captain for his team in the chl prospects game

He would've absolutely worn one if the Hawks sent him to World Juniors the past season (probably would've been the captain). Not a doubt in my mind the kid with the NHL experience (and by all accounts is an absolute leader) is getting a letter. You can debate the captaincy all you like.

Blades announced last year that if Dach was back he would have been captain.

Also interesting thing I found for last season is that Colton Dach was in his draft -1 season for the blades and the only players that produced more than him last season are 19-22 years old on the team.

Last edited:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

I literally said I see him as an alternate...

Are you saying he would have been captain of last year's world junior team? He absolutely would not have been. I can't think of any 18-year-olds that have been named captain of the Canadian u20 team in recent memory.

Hockey Canada has a track record with these players. You tend to see the kids who were captains on their u18 and Hlinka team's continue on with that leadership role in future international events. The actual captaincy isn't always consistent but chances are if you wore a letter at an u18 tournament and you continue to develop as an impact player, you'll wear a letter on the u20 team as a 19-year-old.

Reactions: Crow

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Pretty sure he also didnt like Heiskanen at #3 and Makar and Q Hughes in their drafts

He was a big fan of Hughes IIRC. He also said Heiskanen had top-pairing potential in his draft year. He was not sold on Makar and I can't remember his view on Petterson. Everyone gets some players wrong. Overall I think he's a good eye for skill and talent. Skill and talent just aren't enough at the NHL level, unless you're truly elite.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Not only is Dach super skilled, he's going to score a lot of goals just like this one.
I struggle to put a ceiling on what he could be.

Last night I was thinking about whether he’ll be like a Getzlaf or Thornton type of playmaking big, or more like a bully his way to the net type of big.

I didn’t come to a conclusion, but either way sounds good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad