Nov 24, 2013
mentionné = mentioned (?)

présence - presence

problème - problem

I've done my job, the rest of you keep going

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Kirby apparently won't even be playing C on this team. That's a little surprising to me. Bob McKenzie is saying he will be on the wing with Cozens as the C. Obviously that can change, but thats where he has been lining up in scrimmages.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Kirby apparently won't even be playing C on this team. That's a little surprising to me. Bob McKenzie is saying he will be on the wing with Cozens as the C. Obviously that can change, but thats where he has been lining up in scrimmages.
Dumb

Reactions: Muffinalt

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Honestly, who cares. That team has a lot of centers forced to play wing due to so much depth. Dach has still been, from all reports (as well as the stat sheets), the best player for Canada. That's what matters; him being an impact player no matter where he lines up.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Honestly, who cares. That team has a lot of centers forced to play wing due to so much depth. Dach has still been, from all reports (as well as the stat sheets), the best player for Canada. That's what matters; him being an impact player no matter where he lines up.
Obviously. Still weird that the best player who is a C, isnt going to be a C.

Reactions: Muffinalt

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I dont recall saying that it meant anything.
I'm not saying you did, I'm just trying to say that given the talent on that squad and his time at wing previously, it's not a surprise that Kirby is at wing. And, as you seem to agree with me on, he'll have a good chance at being the best player in the tourney either way.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'm not saying you did, I'm just trying to say that given the talent on that squad and his time at wing previously, it's not a surprise that Kirby is at wing. And, as you seem to agree with me on, he'll have a good chance at being the best player in the tourney either way.
I guess our disagreement is that you arent surprised he is at W over C. It is a surprise to me because he is the best player there, and is a good defensive, natural C. I think it's a mistake by the coach, unless he has seen something in Dachs game that he doesnt like at C.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I guess our disagreement is that you arent surprised he is at W over C. It is a surprise to me because he is the best player there, and is a good defensive, natural C. I think it's a mistake by the coach, unless he has seen something in Dachs game that he doesnt like at C.
I just think they see a kid who still struggles at the dot and has had success at wing on a Team Canada team 2 years ago. Not every player can translate from center to wing and play as well as Kirby has.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I just think they see a kid who still struggles at the dot and has had success at wing on a Team Canada team 2 years ago. Not every player can translate from center to wing and play as well as Kirby has.
Kirby struggled against men, at faceoffs, not boys. You put your best Cs at C, regardless of what other players can do. I'm sure they have plenty of guys who can play W just fine.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
At the end of the day, if Dach can be as impactful on the wing as he can at centre, you can put him on the wing -- especially if you're doing that to allow another player, like Cozens, to play a position he's more comfortable in. Kirby's going to be a huge part of the team no matter what.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
If he can play a season in the NHL at C he damn well can play C at the WJC. I don’t know what they are thinking with that decision.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Kirby struggled against men, at faceoffs, not boys. You put your best Cs at C, regardless of what other players can do. I'm sure they have plenty of guys who can play W just fine.
I don't have the numbers with me, but I could've sworn he sucked at faceoffs in the WHL as well.

Reactions: d rake

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I'm assuming the coaches felt Dach was more able to move to the wing than Cozens.

Reactions: Pertti

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah he did struggle. He only won 41.2% of faceoffs in his draft year.

Kirby Dach - WHL
2 years ago, totally relevant. He has only gotten bigger, stronger, and was taught by some of the best to ever do it over the last 2 years. Zero doubt in my mind he would excel at faceoffs in this tourny, against boys.

I still think he'll be at C ice by the end of this tournament.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Scott Wheeler addressed this in the comments on his latest story in the Athletic. He said Cozens and Dach have been playing RW/C interchangeably and both playing both roles.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

8d4.gif

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Congratulations on your boy getting the “C”. I’m confident he’ll do Canada proud.

818544CD-BF69-4479-9A13-BC95C773192A.gif

I’LL BE DACH!!​

(Ok, I’ll show myself out now. Enjoy the holidays and WJC’s, everyone.)

Edit: In reading some of the Thread I think I need to spend some more time visiting with you folks. Sometimes @CallMeShaft comes across a bit aggressively, but for the most part I find him hilarious. Anyway, hope all of you and your families are doing well and take care.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad