Confirmed with Link: Kinkaid to CLB for 5th

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
It's not a matter of pressure.

It's like any sport but even worse with goalies - when you have to overcompensate for crappiness, you can ruin your own game.

If it is constant 2-on-1s and backdoor passes; and he can't rely upon his defense to be at least somewhat competent - he'll be doubting himself, playing too deep in the net, and leaning the wrong way expecting the pass to get across and that he'll have to go post-to-post instead of playing the shot and doing his job.

We've already ruined two goaltenders. I don't care to ruin the third.

Don't even want to get into the confidence issues that we'll get into facing high quality shots like we are giving up. He'll be so wrapped around the axel in his head after 5 games with this team he might never see the NHL again.

we didn't ruin two goalies.

one sucked and shouldn't even be in the nhl and the other was a backup before we traded the 9 pick for him. the kid will be fine if he plays up here.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's not a matter of pressure.

It's like any sport but even worse with goalies - when you have to overcompensate for crappiness, you can ruin your own game.

If it is constant 2-on-1s and backdoor passes; and he can't rely upon his defense to be at least somewhat competent - he'll be doubting himself, playing too deep in the net, and leaning the wrong way expecting the pass to get across and that he'll have to go post-to-post instead of playing the shot and doing his job.

We've already ruined two goaltenders. I don't care to ruin the third.

Don't even want to get into the confidence issues that we'll get into facing high quality shots like we are giving up. He'll be so wrapped around the axel in his head after 5 games with this team he might never see the NHL again.
Injuries ruined Cory. And I don’t think Keith is ruined. Having to play 40+ games two years in a row is what ruined his season this year. He’s not good enough to play that many games at an adequate level.

I think chances are favorable that he has a good season next year somewhere as the clear cut backup. I don’t see him lasting more than another 5 years in the NHL, goalies of his caliber really never do, but I don’t think he’s permanently ruined. I think he needed a change of scenery to maybe try and resurrect his season, but I think he’ll be fine next year, unless he somehow finds himself in a starting role, which he would likely only come into by way of injuries.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

one sucked and shouldn't even be in the nhl and the other was a backup before we traded the 9 pick for him. the kid will be fine if he plays up here.
His AHL numbers haven’t been so good, but it was only the last couple games that knocked it down. I think he can at least finish the season average, but he’s probably not a .926% goalie either. There’s not many in the league who are.

I think it’s honestly more important to see Cory for the rest of this year to see just how serviceable he is.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Injuries ruined Cory. And I don’t think Keith is ruined.

Look, man, we just disagree on this one. Until we get a metric for shot quality we will continue to disagree. It's apparent to me that both KK and Cory (and any goalie) changes their game dramatically with the defense that is played in front of them.

It may hold up for two or three games, going post to post and bailing guys out - but if the guys in front of you can't do their jobs, you can't either.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Keep telling yourself that. See what happens when he gets here. See how long it will last before we start saying how much he sucks and was a flash in the pan. It's coming. It even started before they sent him back down where he was giving up 5 per game.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Meh at this point he’s probably only playing 5-6 games the rest of the way unless Cory gets hurt, it’s late enough you can protect him a bit and at this point Bingo is depleted playing their own meaningless games anyway. Might as well have him learn from Cory and develop with a controlled workload here.

Honestly - what in God's name would you want him to learn from a completely shellshocked guy who just went a calendar year without a win?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Keep telling yourself that. See what happens when he gets here. See how long it will last before we start saying how much he sucks and was a flash in the pan. It's coming. It even started before they sent him back down where he was giving up 5 per game.
He was bad in the game against Chicago. He wasn’t bad in the game against Dallas where he allowed 5 though. He stole the last game he played in the NHL.

He was due for a regression after his first 6 games. He may be still be due for a regression. He may not even be that good in the first place. Too small a sample size.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly - what in God's name would you want him to learn from a completely shellshocked guy who just went a calendar year without a win?

I mean he has been a pro and a starter in the league for a number of years, there’s value in learning from that and the rest of the staff though I get Rollie is no Jacques Caron, Blackwood did fine his first go around here.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Are they waiving Korpisalo? Or will they have 3 goalies on the roster?
Not from what it sounds like in that quote from Torts.

You would think they’re not trading Bob today after going all in, but it wouldn’t shock me. It would be stupid after the guys they got the last few days though. And with them not being a lock for a playoff spot, a Kinkaid/Korpisalo tandem wouldn’t be a safe bet on hobbling them across the finish line.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

If this was at all true - if bad defenses 'ruined' goalies permanently - we wouldn't see great goalies behind bad defenses. But we have and we do. To you no goalie ever plays poorly, it's only defense. That's just not what's going on.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Poor job by Ray here, he got fleeced. The Jackets obtained a #1 goaltender for a 5th round pick three years into the future. Dont let the 3.00 + gaa fool you. He’s a stud. Bob will be the backup in no time.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I’m on team Jim and the fans he’s calling out are the same ones who are getting all fussy in this thread. We need to stfu about every little thing a goalie does when the team has been absolute trash for 80% of the last 5 years.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I’m on team Jim and the fans he’s calling out are the same ones who are getting all fussy in this thread. We need to **** about every little thing a goalie does when the team has been absolute trash for 80% of the last 5 years.
i think a bunch of us are on team jim, even i know i'm a huge hypocrite

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It’s not an either or situation, the D and the goalies have all stunk this year (except Big Mac)

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
i think a bunch of us are on team jim, even i know i'm a huge hypocrite
I mean I was a huge offender with Cory but that was when we had playoff hopes and he should have a much bigger target on his back considering his contract and expectations. But that’s all passed and it’s time for everyone to move on from bitching bout our goaltending when the whole ship is leaking. The goaltending situation is much different than at the beginning of the year and definitely last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad