Confirmed with Link: Kinkaid to CLB for 5th

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
honestly, keith prob hated the fans, considering how many of the fanbase ripped on him - especially considering what his uncle said. prob doesn't really help him want to write some heartfelt message

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
my understanding is that our guys are pretty good with preparation and video but seems odd that they wouldn't pick up on bad habits that are "shocking" to kk

Maybe was shocked at how often he didn't stop the puck. Although, again, that is something that our goalie coaches should have picked up on

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Can’t imagine there wasn’t a lot of video watching and scouting that Legace was involved in before the trade.
I’d imagine they saw stuff that if they addressed could get KK going better, and helped the trade make more sense?
I’d hope st least

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is the equivalent of every baseball pitcher who struggles, then goes to a new team who immediately discovers a flaw in his delivery. Sometimes it’s wishful ********, sometimes there’s actually something to it.

Not for nothing but if he DID get into bad habits, I wouldn’t blame the goalie coach as much as the dumpster fire of a team here. Of course guys will develop bad habits trying to do too much.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Maybe was shocked at how often he didn't stop the puck. Although, again, that is something that our goalie coaches should have picked up on
I've been harping on this a lot... Rollie was coaching our goalies to play DEEPER in the net. When you do that, you're going to let more "saveable" goals in because you're covering less of the net to the shooter.

At first I thought I mis-heard, and that a goalie coach couldn't POSSIBLY tell them to do that, but I've heard it from all 3 of our goalies. It's just stupefying.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't really fault the goalie coach because he had his best season in the NHL under him last year. Unless he had him playing differently this year than he did last year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I can't really fault the goalie coach because he had his best season in the NHL under him last year. Unless he had him playing differently this year than he did last year.

Yeah his only stretch of relevant hockey happened here, in front of this team, with this coaching staff.

The most obvious answer is he just isn’t very good. He had a hot streak. He isn’t the first poor goalie to have one of those.

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

That plus Blackwood's playing well with this goalie coach (granted small size sample) and a healthy Cory early last year and now has been decent-good. I just fault the fact Keith's started 41 games behind this dumpster fire while Cory and Blackwood so far have only had like 15 starts each this year. The more you get exposed to this crap the more bad habits will creep in.

Reactions: glenwo2

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I've been harping on this a lot... Rollie was coaching our goalies to play DEEPER in the net. When you do that, you're going to let more "saveable" goals in because you're covering less of the net to the shooter.

At first I thought I mis-heard, and that a goalie coach couldn't POSSIBLY tell them to do that, but I've heard it from all 3 of our goalies. It's just stupefying.

I found an article from 2010 where Melanson was getting both Luongo and Cory to play deeper in net, so it's not anything new with him, and has been successful before.

From the article...

That theory includes the belief that a more neutral, middle-depth goaltender should be more consistent than one retreating back towards the net. That’s in part because you can’t skate backwards in a perfectly straight line. An outside-in goalie has to alternate their weight from skate to skate as they cut backwards. In addition to sometimes sacrificing their center-net angle as they do, these goalies also run the risk of getting caught on the wrong skate on a pass (In other words, if your weight is on the right skate as a pass moves left to right, you can’t push to the right without first transferring back to the left skate to push across). And because they start further out, these goalies also typically need to cover a longer distance on these lateral adjustments.

Because of all this, outside-in goaltenders typically rely more on timing and rhythm than their inside-out peers. For Schneider, who is expected to play 20 to 25 games at the most behind a healthy Luongo, relying less on rhythm and timing should be a good thing.

"It’s a good way to keep my game consistent for sporadic starts,” said Schneider, who went 15 days between his last preseason start and first of the regular season, his longest wait since minor hockey. “If you are deeper, you are more consistent because you are out of position less, so it might be even tougher to play my old style sporadically because you rely more on timing and rhythm. With this you are playing angles, trusting your size, and if you are only playing once every two or three weeks it’s a game you can keep simple and stay pretty consistent with.”

Reactions: glenwo2 and Nubmer6

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I found an article from 2010 where Melanson was getting both Luongo and Cory to play deeper in net, so it's not anything new with him, and has been successful before.

From the article...

i’m mean i’m not going to pretend to know more about goaltending than a goaltending coach, but that just doesn’t seem right

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

From the article...
Interesting.

My suspicion is that certain styles suit different players. Some players like Lundqvist who rely on their reaction speed can find success playing deeper. I don't think it suits everyone though. Yes, KK had some success last year under Rollie, but I think he may be more successful playing a more traditional style. Also, it may be my imagination, but he seemed to play even deeper this year. I don't know if it was coaching or lack of confidence.

I hope this doesn't affect MacBlack. If we change his style and it doesn't suit him it could damage him permanently.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
That plus Blackwood's playing well with this goalie coach (granted small size sample) and a healthy Cory early last year and now has been decent-good. I just fault the fact Keith's started 41 games behind this dumpster fire while Cory and Blackwood so far have only had like 15 starts each this year. The more you get exposed to this crap the more bad habits will creep in.

Blackwood is much bigger than Keith though so he has an instant advantage over Keith if they are both playing deep in the net.

I still think Rollie should've coached all three goalies to play to the best of their abilities. Keith is not a sit in the back of the net type of goaltender. He's at his best when he is out further. Really does a disservice to your players when you put them in a situation to fail.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Blackwood is much bigger than Keith though so he has an instant advantage over Keith if they are both playing deep in the net.

I still think Rollie should've coached all three goalies to play to the best of their abilities. Keith is not a sit in the back of the net type of goaltender. He's at his best when he is out further. Really does a disservice to your players when you put them in a situation to fail.

Kinkaid was spectacular for two months last year with the same goalie coach, people are acting like Rollie only got here this year. He started off this season fine too before one too many meltdowns in front of him short circuited Keith by the end of November.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Kinkaid was spectacular for two months last year with the same goalie coach, people are acting like Rollie only got here this year. He started off this season fine too before one too many meltdowns in front of him short circuited Keith by the end of November.
I know, but I'm wondering if KK implemented more of his adjustments over his time here, and if it affected him adversely. His comments about the CLB goalie coach pointing out some glaring problems seemed sincere and not intended as a dig at the Devs, which makes me wonder a bit too.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I know, but I'm wondering if KK implemented more of his adjustments over his time here, and if it affected him adversely. His comments about the CLB goalie coach pointing out some glaring problems seemed sincere and not intended as a dig at the Devs, which makes me wonder a bit too.

Honestly it sounds like you are reaching here.

More likely Keith just isn’t very good

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He can be a lot better than he was here this year, because he was exactly that last year.

Goalies are not only inherently streaky but it’s also a position where technical tweaks do make a difference.

He may be better than he was this year, but I don't think he's ever repeating the hot two months he had last year. He basically has about 25 games where he's performed like a good starter, and 125 games where he performed like a league average backup. One of these sample sizes is larger than the other, and more likely reflects his actual ability.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
A lot of you were writing off Cory and now this with Keith. Give the guy a second chance. He’s most definitely suffering from a crisis of confidence. If you’ve ever played the position, which by reading these posts I can tell most have not, you’ll know you’re done for if you can’t trust your defense. I don’t blame him for it either considering the shit show playing in front of him. Most likely he’s getting a chance to stick as one of the two goalies there after Bob leaves for greener pastures. Korpisalo hasn’t been exactly killing it behind Bob either.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A lot of you were writing off Cory and now this with Keith. Give the guy a second chance. He’s most definitely suffering from a crisis of confidence. If you’ve ever played the position, which by reading these posts I can tell most have not, you’ll know you’re done for if you can’t trust your defense. I don’t blame him for it either considering the **** show playing in front of him. Most likely he’s getting a chance to stick as one of the two goalies there after Bob leaves for greener pastures. Korpisalo hasn’t been exactly killing it behind Bob either.
I'm still writing off Cory. I don't believe he'll ever be better than mediocre again.

Kinkaid might be fine, but ONLY as a backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad