Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - Lolverpool

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Kokcu is also a homophobe, not sure how well that will go down in the UK.

Not necessarily a fan but doesn't Gertruida play for them? He is youngish and can play everywhere on the backline.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Kokcu is also a homophobe, not sure how well that will go down in the UK.

Not necessarily a fan but doesn't Gertruida play for them? He is youngish and can play everywhere on the backline.
That would not play well in Liverpool. Not going to talk about the rest of the UK but LFC would not be happy with that.

Gertruida has been there seven years and is their VC. He’d definitely be a useful utility guy but Joe Gomez is kind of in that role already. I think they’d look other guys first.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
For Feyenoord get us his apprentice Teun Koopmeiners
He’s probably the best one, but he doesn’t make sense if we are switching to double pivot and/or moving Trent to midfield. Koopmeiners is weird. He looks like he’d be a great double pivot guy, but his best work is done further up the pitch

Reactions: luiginb

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
If Feyenoord win out, they will have as many Eredivisie points as they won it with last year and have a better goal difference. They also lost their best player, who was also the Eredivisie Player of the Season, last summer. And they won the KNVB Cup this year; which they didn’t do last year. So, I don’t see how you can say his stock went down at all. PSV had the best season in their history; which is great, but Slot’s “stock” and Bosz “stock” are parallel to each other; don’t think one has an effect on the other.
Or maybe Slot if we go simply by mean calculus not good enough.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Or maybe Slot if we go simply by mean calculus not good enough.
I don’t think so. He lost his best player (who was the best player in the league) had basically the same year, but won the Cup. I believe they knocked PSV out of the cup. PSV are the ones having the outlier season. Slot showed his system isn’t reliant on a player. That says more to me honestly.

and his stock obviously didn’t drop because he got a better job than the one that he turned down last year, so that whole premise is wrong anyway in my opinion

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t think so. He lost his best player (who was the best player in the league) had basically the same year, but won the Cup. PSV are the ones having the outlier season. Slot showed his system isn’t reliant on a player. That says more to me honestly.

and his stock obviously didn’t drop because he got a better job than the one that he turned down last year, so that whole premise is wrong anyway in my opinion
He is a poor choice on paper, it's up to change that narrative, huge step to go at LFC it's all up to him now to prove himself.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He is a poor choice on paper, it's up to change that narrative, huge step at LFC it's all up to him.
You keep saying this. But you haven’t said who is a good choice on paper besides Alonso who isn’t going anywhere. Can’t cry over spilled milk.

Who would this not be a huge step for that LFC could have realistically gotten? It’s huge step for Amorim too and LFC liked Slot better. There is no reason that this is a poor choice until proven otherwise.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You keep saying this. But you haven’t said who is a good choice on paper besides Alonso who isn’t going anywhere. Can’t cry over spilled milk.

Who would this not be a huge step for that LFC could have realistically gotten? It’s huge step for Amorim too and LFC liked Slot better. There is no reason that this is a poor choice until proven otherwise.
You are right, there are no obvious/standout choice other than Alonso the pool of manager is horrible hence why Barcelona decided to keep Xavi. Every other candidates are poor on paper my biggest issue is the step from Eredivisie to the EPL, nevermind going to LFC.
My best candidates would probably be Michel at Girona or Sebastian Hoeness at Stuttgart or Marco Rose at RB Leipzig. They have been punching above their weight in way better leagues.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You are right, there are no obvious/standout choice other than Alonso the pool of manager is horrible hence why Barcelona decided to keep Xavi. Every other candidates are poor on paper my biggest issue is the step from Eredivisie to the EPL, nevermind going to LFC.
My best candidates would probably be Michel at Girona or Sebastian Hoeness at Stuttgart or Marco Rose at RB Leipzig. They have been punching above their weight in way better leagues.
Okay but they didn’t have the option to keep Klopp like Barca did with Xavi. They have to hire someone. We brought Edwards back to make the right decisions. Have to give the benefit of the doubt that they got it right, because Edwards gets a lot of things right. Whether I like it or not, I’m not going to be on Slot’s case from day zero

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Okay but they didn’t have the option to keep Klopp like Barca did with Xavi. They have to hire someone. We brought Edwards back to make the right decisions. Have to give the benefit of the doubt that they got it right, because Edwards gets a lot of things right. Whether I like it or not, I’m not going to be on Slot’s case from day zero
I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for sure, I am not rooting against him. I am just not enthusiastic nor having rose glasses that he was the best candidate. He will have to perform way better than he did at Feyenoord. That's all. He is appointed by the statistic guru that is Edwards so they obviously see something good.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for sure, I am not rooting against him. I am just not enthusiastic nor having rose glasses that he was the best candidate. He will have to perform way better than he did at Feyenoord. That's all.
You are not giving him the benefit of the doubt is you are referring to it as a poorer choice/failed hire/etc.

Of course he will have to perform better at Feyenoord. No one hires a guy a says it’s okay to do worse. Just stop.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You are not giving him the benefit of the doubt is you are referring to it as a poorer choice/failed hire/etc.

Of course he will have to perform better at Feyenoord. No one hires a guy a says it’s okay to do worse. Just stop.
I never said failed hire, don't twist my words. I am not a fan of the hire does not make him a failure. Not enthusiastic at all is more appropriate.

They could hire a random guy at the park, I would not love the hire but he might be the greatest manager of all time for all I know. He just has to prove it on the field next year, that's all that matter.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I never said failed hire, don't twist my words. I am not a fan of the hire does not make him a failure. Not enthusiastic at all is more appropriate.
thsy fair but you said it’s a poor choice though. Which we have no way of knowing. Edwards basically got his second choice and his first choice stayed at his current club. That’s all there is to distill from this right now

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
thsy fair but you said it’s a poor choice though. Which we have no way of knowing. Edwards basically got his second choice and his first choice stayed at his current club. That’s all there is to distill from this right now
Poor choice based on the names I mentionned to you and the fact he has never managed outside the Eredivisie. That does not mean a failure or an horrible manager just not good on PAPER.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Poor choice based on the names I mentionned to you and the fact he has never managed outside the Eredivisie. That does not mean a failure or an horrible manager just not good on PAPER.
But your names are not Edwards names. There are no standout names on paper. No disrespect but I am going to choose to assume Edwards knows better than you

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
But your names are not Edwards names. There are no standout names on paper. No disrespect but I am going to choose to assume Edwards knows better than you
I never claimed I knew better than Edwards nor my opinion mattered. How about deflecting all the points I made.

Edwards is the master of stats he obviously has seen something from Arne. Now all that matter is LFC proving the doubters like myself wrong. He will have to because the LFC fanbase are not the most patient.

Believe me if Slot win us the league next year, I will gladly eat crow.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I never claimed I knew better than Edwards nor my opinion mattered. How about deflecting all the points I made.

Edwards is the master of stats he obviously has seen something from Arne. Now all that matter is LFC proving the doubters like myself wrong. He will have to because the LFC fanbase are not the most patient.

Believe me if Slot win us the league next year, I will gladly eat crow.
Slot doesn’t have to win the league though. It’s unrealistic to expect him to win the league year one, so I wouldn’t base my opinion based on winning the league or not. Let’s just let him breathe. If he’s bad he will be replaced. If he’s good that’s even better.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bayern getting Tuchel in because JN ruffled too many feathers by wanting to rejuvenate the side, will never stop being funny to me.

TT & Uli are now getting into it, with Hoeneß criticizing Tuchel for just wanting to buy replacements for everyone instead of working to improve Davies, Pavlovic, and Musiala.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Slot doesn’t have to win the league though. It’s unrealistic to expect him to win the league year one, so I wouldn’t base my opinion based on winning the league or not. Let’s just let him breathe. If he’s bad he will be replaced. If he’s good that’s even better.
That's the expectation if you consider the quality of the team. Take Tottenham for instance, they sold Harry Kane and they still improved from last year even though they have not won the league this year. They need to stay in the CL minimun unless they start selling their key players but as of today with the squad available anything less than title contender would be dissapointing, that's the sad reality of it, you cannot say Europa league as satisfying, can you?

If they start selling Salah, TAA and VVD or other than the expectations will change obviously.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's the expectation if you consider the quality of the team. Take Tottenham for instance, they sold Harry Kane and they still improved from last year even though they have not won the league this year. They need to stay in the CL minimun unless they start selling their key players but as of today with the squad available anything less than title contender would be dissapointing, that's the sad reality of it, you cannot say Europa league as satisfying, can you?

If they start selling Salah, TAA and VVD or other than the expectations will change obviously.
Tottenham also wanted Slot last year, but Slot told them no

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad