Post-Game Talk: Kings 5, Pens 3: Can't Win 'Em All

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Please lay out the plays where Kessel cost us big time.
It´s his overall performance, if you understand to what I want to say. He created nothing and he´s supposed to create something playing on the line where Malkin is the main target of the opposition. He missed two golden chances too. His defense is not a huge problem if he scores, but when he doesn´t you start to think about his defense too and it certainly wasn´t good today. Then there is that EN play, but yeah, that changed nothing on my evaluation of Kessel tonight, just added a bit. All said and done, he cost us tonight, not sure how you can deny that.

Yeah, you can still blame Scuderi, I guess, but I have different standards for Kessel & Scuderi.. Apples and oranges but both were rotten today.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Just read that everyone was literally in the dressing room save for Sid and Dupuis after the game, the Dupuis smashed his stick so hard it broke and almost hit the ice crew.

****, I found it on Twitter. That's something or nothing, but possibly something, maybe. Maybe he knows it's over for him, idk.

I hope it didn't bounce up and hit Letang in the eye.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
You know what I was thinking the entire game?

If the Pens played the Kings in a 7 game series, the Pens would be exhausted by game 2 and the Kings could go on playing their style of game for another 2 months without breaking a sweat.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Johnston continues to put Kunitz and Dupuis on Sid's wings.

Johnston continues to scratch Sprong.

Johnston continues to dress Scuderi, and play him in crucial situations.

Our blueline's play is laughably bad by AHL standards, even with Letang in the lineup.

Our PP is abysmal despite this team having the most firepower to put out on the man-advantage in the past 15-20 years.

Sid has looked like complete **** for the vast majority of the past 60 games.

But yeah, Kessel barely missing wide on two shots and not backchecking like Datsyuk is by far and away our most glaring problem.

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
can't wait to go the game tomorrow night

my brother and I will be in Anaheim with a couple signs

we'll have "Free Sprong", "Fire MJ", Trade Kunitz, Dupuis, and Scuderi", and "More Bennett"

maybe we'll get a "Bring Back Simon Despres"

open for suggestions fam

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
This could be it guys. Dupuis LTIRetiring, the moment you've all been waiting for!

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
You know what I was thinking the entire game?

If the Pens played the Kings in a 7 game series, the Pens would be exhausted by game 2 and the Kings could go on playing their style of game for another 2 months without breaking a sweat.

Yup and its been that way a long time.

Even Sid. Ive never seen a great player work so hard and end up with an assist.

Its freelance offense... Its inefficient.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If duper didnt play at the end because of suckage, that is one thing... if it was because of any health reason he is done... they cant afford to keep putting a guy out there who isnt producing, has no upside, and cannot be counted on to finish a game at this point

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Johnston continues to put Kunitz and Dupuis on Sid's wings.

Johnston continues to scratch Sprong.

Johnston continues to dress Scuderi, and play him in crucial situations.

Our blueline's play is laughably bad by AHL standards, even with Letang in the lineup.

Our PP is abysmal despite this team having the most firepower to put out on the man-advantage in the past 15-20 years.

Sid has looked like complete **** for the vast majority of the past 60 games.

But yeah, Kessel barely missing wide on two shots and not backchecking like Datsyuk is by far and away our most glaring problem.
We are in the Post-Game Talk thread and Kessel was the problem in this particular game. He will be better than this next time but he was awful tonight. His season so far has been so-so. Had his up and downs, today was definitely a "down", his worst game as a Penguin.

That said, in general you are right. Getting Crosby out of his slump should be a priority and has been a bigger problem.. Scuderi playing is a bigger problem. Dupuis playing (in the TOP6 too!) definitely is a bigger problem. Hornqvist looking like a zombie (in terms of vision and creativity, as well as being slow) out there is a bigger problem. But Kessel has another gear that we haven´t seen yet.. just saying.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
More like a renewed commitment and everyone fawning over him. #InspirationalInterview

Duper can be an assistant coach somewhere and still be involved... he just shouldnt be playing anymore... too risky for my taste from the get go, and now with no tangible benefits

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Crosby played mediocre and still got points. Vintage Sid redirect too. Nice play by Dumoulin. Letang would've shot it into the upper balcony.

Overall the Penguins were man handled which shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone outside the front office.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Bringing enough for the class.

If he really wanted to help the team, he'd have tried to earn a lifetime suspension by breaking the stick over Scuderi's head so the shrapnel also knocked Kunitz and Johnston out of commission.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Duper has guarenteed millions coming to him.
I don't feel too bad.
Love the guy but this is a business.

He could easily LTRetire. Just has to say he doesn't endure his special blood thiner anymore and wuups you are not allowed to play anymore. I have absolutely no doubt he wants to play this game. And he thinks he can contribute to this team, while the penguins are doing everything in their mind that he keeps this opinion (1st line, Super Duper media, big welcome when he is back from another injury etc.)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We are in the Post-Game Talk thread and Kessel was the problem in this particular game. He will be better than this next time but he was awful tonight. His season so far has been so-so. Had his up and downs, today was definitely a "down", his worst game as a Penguin.

That said, in general you are right. Getting Crosby out of his slump should be a priority and has been a bigger problem.. Scuderi playing is a bigger problem. Dupuis playing (in the TOP6 too!) definitely is a bigger problem. Hornqvist looking like a zombie (in terms of vision and creativity, as well as being slow) out there is a bigger problem. But Kessel has another gear that we haven´t seen yet.. just saying.

We may be in a specific post-game thread, but that doesn't mean we should pretend other factors don't exist.

Kessel wasn't good defensively tonight, and missed just wide on two glorious chances. He pots those two goals and nobody says a thing. It happens.

The other factors are still by far and away bigger problems, tonight included.

There's about an entire roster of guys who still have another gear we haven't seen.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Crosby played mediocre and still got points. Vintage Sid redirect too. Nice play by Dumoulin. Letang would've shot it into the upper balcony.

Overall the Penguins were man handled which shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone outside the front office.
Yeah.. He also created a perfect chance for Beau to potentially tie the game at 4-4. Still extremely sad about it not being converted. That goal would have been huge in so many ways. So many... :cry:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Duper can be an assistant coach somewhere and still be involved... he just shouldnt be playing anymore... too risky for my taste from the get go,

Honestly, that would probably depend on the travelling, but he still shouldn't be playing.

and now with no tangible benefits

The tangible benefits are that the most important thing in the world to his family is the kids seeing him win another cup as a player. :help:

I turned the game off, but FWIW, according to the shift chart and TOI report, neither Duper or Scuderi had any shifts the last 7 minutes of the game.

It's a [Christmas or closer holiday] miracle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad