Post-Game Talk: Kings 5, Pens 3: Can't Win 'Em All

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Kessel put those two in the net yesterday we are having different conversation. I am glad it did not happen. look at Corsi's yesterday. No one I mean no one but BB was in +. that rarely ever happens in NHL. Its a total failure of the system. I think MPF mentioned yesterday that if we palyed best of seven against team like Kings ( and we saw that in columbus game and other games with opponents putting pressure on our d-man) we would be s... tired after two games and totally demoralized.

Honestly I can't see anything changing, no one fears penguins forward, no d-man in the league looks back behind aniticipating ferocious forecheck, these teams transition so easy against Pens unless our fourth line manage to do a little bit. I don't know who makes defensive plans but Gary Andrews got to go if nothing for that statement that Scuderi makes all other d-man more comfortable or something like that. These coaches really believe that and thats the problem. The best few shifts we had in the last few games where with Cole or Dumo or Lovejoy or Warf pinching on that blue line and helping maintain that pressure. the second they start backing up that's the second we are screwed, because they all are more or less below average defenders and puck movers.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i really wonder if kessel can be a part of a winning team.

people say kessel= kane, with kane just being fortunate enough to play for the hawks.

on one hand, i see it, but then i see some of kessels lame backchecks and fear of taking a hit and then that comparison seems insane.

i dunno... is kane basically kessel just playing for a better team? i can see both sides. i genuinely wonder what yall think.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I honestly question anyone who thinks this makes logical sense. This is the same crap argument that people use to prop up Toews over clearly better players, as if winning is an individual trait.

Kessel is a really good complementary player. Of course he can be on a winning team, he just can't be the main piece on a winning team. He's not that here.

Malkin112*

people say kessel= kane, with kane just being fortunate enough to play for the hawks.

on one hand, i see it, but then i see some of kessels lame backchecks and fear of taking a hit and then that comparison seems insane.

i dunno... is kane basically kessel just playing for a better team? i can see both sides. i genuinely wonder what yall think.

I used to think they are close but now that I know better it's not even close. Kane is Crosby and Malkin's level. Kessel is more like complimentary peace ala Neal.

Kane can slow game down better than anybody since prime Jagr and is amazing possession player. Kessel is soft sniper

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

By far your worst post ever. Like... not even close to all of the other ones. This is just you trying to get a rise out of someone. You act like there are no other goal scorers who just happen to score goals and do the same thing as PK. I'll give you one single name to totally take your post and make it wrong:

Marián Gáborík

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
By far your worst post ever. Like... not even close to all of the other ones. This is just you trying to get a rise out of someone. You act like there are no other goal scorers who just happen to score goals and do the same thing as PK. I'll give you one single name to totally take your post and make it wrong:

Marián Gáborík

i swear i was not trying to get a rise out of people. i've always had a mixed opinion of kessel. i am still forming my opinion of him, hence my question.

gaborik is a good point.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U

Marián Gáborík

Don't worry, he'll probably reply to himself with another account shortly.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kane's definitely on a different level right now. But I'd say for most of their careers, little separated Kane and Kessel. They're pure offense. Kane's more of a setup guy who slows things down but can finish and use his speed to change gears. Kessel's a goal scorer who uses speed as well as anybody but is also a good setup guy. They're not going to hit, bear down, go to the net, work the corners or take hits to make plays.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

great post OP, I agree with everything you, a complacently different person than myself, said!

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Kane's definitely on a different level right now. But I'd say for most of their careers, little separated Kane and Kessel. They're pure offense. Kane's more of a setup guy who slows things down but can finish and use his speed to change gears. Kessel's a goal scorer who uses speed as well as anybody but is also a good setup guy. They're not going to hit, bear down, go to the net, work the corners or take hits to make plays.

Absolutely. He's also got an underrated pair of hands. I think he needs to use more of that part of his game. It's easy to leave the dangling to Geno but he's got to play more aggressively. He's trying to play like Neal but he has a different set of skills compared to Neal.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Absolutely. He's also got an underrated pair of hands. I think he needs to use more of that part of his game. It's easy to leave the dangling to Geno but he's got to play more aggressively. He's trying to play like Neal but he has a different set of skills compared to Neal.

It's easy for me to say with a team full of star talent, but I'd like to see the coaches get him the puck more. Doubleshift him away from 87 and 71 so we have a guy teams have to worry about at all times on the ice.

He needs to have the puck more.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Only someone incapable of seeing differences in players' situations would think they weren't close.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Kane can create more in zone offense which is helpful in this system. Kessel is sick off the rush, but he isn't dangling dudes in tight spaces like Kane (or Malkin).

I'd definitely take Kane over Kessel, but the difference isn't huge or anything.

Watching Kane and Panarin dangle and cycle around the offensive zone is entertaining as hell.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Kane can create more in zone offense which is helpful in this system. Kessel is sick off the rush, but he isn't dangling dudes in tight spaces like Kane (or Malkin).

I'd definitely take Kane over Kessel, but the difference isn't huge or anything.

Watching Kane and Panarin dangle and cycle around the offensive zone is entertaining as hell.

Yeah, I don't think anyone would pick Kessel over Kane in a vacuum. Kessel's damn good, and I still think he'll be a 40g guy on this team when we fix our coaching/PP issues and our players play up to potential, but Kane's unbelievable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad