Post-Game Talk: Kings 5, Pens 3: Can't Win 'Em All

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Perfect summary.

L2 had issues. Geno was off, and Kessel was really off. The latter may have contributed to the former, but whether it did or didn't, L2 was up and down and, with Geno, I didn't see him challenging as much as he's been most nights the last two weeks.

It felt like Genos line played most of the time against Kopitar/Doughty. That's a very tought matchup and they created 3 point blanket chances (2x Phil 1xDP). I don't agree that they had a bad night. Geno was not visually as dominating his last games but if they can score on theese 3 chances you are talking about another three point night against one of the tougher matchups in the league.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+Crosby looked like Crosby again once someone with some skill with the puck was moved to his line.

+Geno, despite looking off, still created some chances that should have been finished.

-They made the game close enough to create another false narrative.

I really hope this is the corner turn for Sid. This was a good team he put up the points against.

One other thing I caught: In San Jose, Geno's line saw Martin-Burns pretty much all game. Today, they saw Kopitar and Doughty for what seemed like the lion's share of shifts. What you want in that situation is for other lines to exploit a coach chasing a matchup.

It felt like Genos line played most of the time against Kopitar/Doughty. That's a very tought matchup and they created 3 point blanket chances (2x Phil 1xDP). I don't agree that they had a bad night. Geno was not visually as dominating his last games but if they can score on theese 3 chances you are talking about another three point night against one of the tougher matchups in the league.

Off and bad are two different things, and see above :)

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i hope these guys don't forget to go home and write about kunitz's 3 points in their diaries, i've only heard them say it 10 times in the last 5 minutes

i believe certain posters have been claiming that plotnikov and bennett weren't producing enough to justify moving them up the lineup, do any of you guys care to comment? surely you saw an improvement in at least your ability to watch the game if not the actual play itself

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Isn't it funny how he starts to look better as soon as Bennett is put on his line? It's almost like space is a good thing for Sidney Crosby.

Preaching to the choir my friend. But while Bennett helped, Sid also decided to take it on himself to up his battle level in that third period. It's amazing what some confidence will do after a big goal. Sid was a different player after that goal.

I think Kessel is so used to being the main threat on his line that he's having trouble adjusting to the role as triggerman.

Just a thought on why he's struggled this year.

Kessel is great off the rush, and Mike Johnston's system never generates rush opportunities. That's a big reason why he and Crosby have struggled, because both guys thrive off the rush, and MJ has completely taken that away from them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Was an inch away 4 times from having a goal. Kessel missed by an inch twice, perron got robbed, geno almolst had another incredible goal.

I suppose that's the standard Malkin's set for himself the last two weeks. This is his second pointless game since NJ. The other one was the home game against San Jose, another one where a few point blank chances didn't go in.

EDIT: That said, I personally don't think Geno was as aggressive as he's been most of the time the last two weeks.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I mean, it's quite clear that Dupuis is a borderline 4th liner at the moment.

Kunitz/Perron-Sid-Bennett
Plotnikov-Geno-Kessel
Kunitz/Perron-Bonino-Hornqvist
Wilson/Sundqvist/Sheary/Simon/Porter/Moullierat-Cullen-Fehr/Sprong

Run that and try flipping Bennett/Kessel during games.
Or you could even run Sprong with a shift with Sid or Geno.

Last edited:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's nice to see Dumoulin finally get rewarded on the score sheet for his strong play.

I thought Warsofsky was pretty outmatched by LA's big forwards, he's scrappier than his size would indicate, but his size and strength have their limitations. I'd like to see Andersen get a look at some point.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
i only caught the third period, and from what i saw i'm REALLY hoping for these lines tm:

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Plotnikov - Malkin - Kessel
Sprong - Bonino - Hornqvist
Perron - Cullen - Fehr

Maata - Letang
Dumoulin - Lovejoy
Warsoksky - Clendening

two things tho:

1) how did Warsof play? he was barely on the ice in that period until the very end when he was on and looked ok, def some mistakes but good stuff too

2) i can't be the only one floored at the decision to pull Flower with almost a full 2 and half mins left AND give Malkin the draw against Kopitar when Crosby is on the ice. (and on the right half board no less)

Why do you want to demote Perron to the 4th line?

1) not good

2) I don't mind. If Geno cares he's not half as bad at faceoffs as this board thinks.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think Kessel is so used to being the main threat on his line that he's having trouble adjusting to the role as triggerman.

Just a thought on why he's struggled this year.

Agreed. I'm not worried about it at all. He's been the go-to, marquee player for so long that he's probably still adjusting to playing with someone else who is going to carry the play and soak up the bulk of the opposition's focus.

He missed two shots, barely outside of the far post. A couple inches to the left each time and he's got a two goal game, and everyone's happy as a pig in **** with his day.

I thought Geno's line wasn't terrible. They weren't great defensively, but they had a bunch of scoring chances between the three of them.

LaughAtMyPain

'91 '92 '09 '16 '17
Oct 26, 2013
I really don't like rooting against the Pens, but I'm somewhat happy that Fleury got the loss, and that Malkin didn't get any points. This sentiment has nothing to do with them, and everything to do with this entire organization.

This team has relied on those two guys to do the two most important things to win: stop the puck and score goals.

With enough of these types of games where both Geno and Flower can't play completely out of their minds, maybe we can start to see some positive changes.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Preaching to the choir my friend. But while Bennett helped, Sid also decided to take it on himself to up his battle level in that third period. It's amazing what some confidence will do after a big goal. Sid was a different player after that goal.

Kessel is great off the rush, and Mike Johnston's system never generates rush opportunities. That's a big reason why he and Crosby have struggled, because both guys thrive off the rush, and MJ has completely taken that away from them.

two glorious chances tonight just the way it should be...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
ill repeat my question from earlier, did anyone see Dupuis play in the 3rd? Was he on the bench?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Agreed. I'm not worried about it at all. He's been the go-to, marquee player for so long that he's probably still adjusting to playing with someone else who is going to carry the play and soak up the bulk of the opposition's focus.

He missed two shots, barely outside of the far post. A couple inches to the left each time and he's got a two goal game, and everyone's happy as a pig in **** with his day.

I thought Geno's line wasn't terrible. They weren't great defensively, but they had a bunch of scoring chances between the three of them.

We have Kessel locked up for years to come, so I'm not too worried about it. Kunitz didn't immediately light it up with Sid/Geno, and neither did Neal immediately light it up with those two.

I bet dollars to doughnuts that if we have a new coach next year and Sid/Geno stay healthy that Phil will absolutely tear it up to the tune of 40 or so goals.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I think what's missing for that line is the more natural chemistry you see from the great lines. Don't get me wrong. You see glimpses of it but not quite the consistency. A game like this, where you're drawing the toughest matchup, as I said, it's when you can see it.

EDIT: It's a really subtle thing. And, it's not me saying 'they'll never be great together'.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Playing a dude in fantasy with Muzzin, Kunitz, and Doughty in his lineup. Eight points. Just pulled ahead of me. Off topic but wanted to share this ********.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Kunitz was actually pretty good tonight, and it had nothing to do with his production.

Maybe, just maybe this is the game that gets Scuderi out of the lineup.

Mike Johnston is the worst coach in the NHL

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't remember Scuds and Dupuis playing in the 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad