Post-Game Talk: Kings 5, Pens 3: Can't Win 'Em All

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We have Kessel locked up for years to come, so I'm not too worried about it. Kunitz didn't immediately light it up with Sid/Geno, and neither did Neal immediately light it up with those two.

I bet dollars to doughnuts that if we have a new coach next year and Sid/Geno stay healthy that Phil will absolutely tear it up to the tune of 40 or so goals.

Neal immediately produced with Geno. He lit it up when Kunitz was moved to LW in late November of that season.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We have Kessel locked up for years to come, so I'm not too worried about it. Kunitz didn't immediately light it up with Sid/Geno, and neither did Neal immediately light it up with those two.

I bet dollars to doughnuts that if we have a new coach next year and Sid/Geno stay healthy that Phil will absolutely tear it up to the tune of 40 or so goals.

912.gif

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Why do you want to demote Perron to the 4th line?

1) not good

2) I don't mind. If Geno cares he's not half as bad at faceoffs as this board thinks.

cus Kunitz played amazing and he's gonna be 1LW based on his play, so no point disputing that. Plots looked like a beast, and if Sprong is coming in and Dupuis is coming out, i'd much rather give Sprong an opportunity in the top 9 rather than Perron who has one good game for every three. and he played poorly today too.

1) damn

2) just look at his face off statistics, geno has always been a liability in the circle. and if its because he doesn't care enough to win them, then for god's sake why didn't they convert him to wing and play him with crosby a decade ago? and the fact that Crosby was on the right half board, where geno thrives on the man advantage, is just salt in the wounds

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kunitz was actually pretty good tonight, and it had nothing to do with his production.

Maybe, just maybe this is the game that gets Scuderi out of the lineup.

Mike Johnston is the worst coach in the NHL

You know better than that.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Neal immediately produced with Geno. He lit it up when Kunitz was moved to LW in late November of that season.

I seem to recall it taking a few months that first season for Neal and Geno to click. Maybe I'm misremembering.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think what's missing for that line is the more natural chemistry you see from the great lines. Don't get me wrong. You see glimpses of it but not quite the consistency. A game like this, where you're drawing the toughest matchup, as I said, it's when you can see it.

EDIT: It's a really subtle thing. And, it's not me saying 'they'll never be great together'.

I'd love to have a Malone-type on Geno's LW for that line. Plotnikov is likely the best we have in that regard.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Perron-sid-BB
Plots-geno-kessel(maybe even try him with sid, while BB plays LW?)
Sprong-bonino-hornqvist
Kunitz-cullen- fehr

I really hope MJ comes to his senses and goes this lineup. Or something similar, just as long kunitz and duper are not in the top 6 and sprong and plots are in the line-up

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I think Kessel is so used to being the main threat on his line that he's having trouble adjusting to the role as triggerman.

Just a thought on why he's struggled this year.
Maybe we should put him back with Sid, where he'll be the main threat again. :sarcasm:

I can't imagine MJ actually benched him so I would suspect he wasn't feeling well again.

6 shifts for 2:47. Last shift was with 7 min left.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20152016/TV020389.HTM

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
So he's dead?

Hahaha... :help:

Knowing players suck and accepting that are two different things. Maybe this is Johnston's moment. Doubt it.

You kid, but like I said in another thread, they're so desperate to stick to the status quo that they're willing to maybe kill a guy. Think about that for a second.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
cus Kunitz played amazing and he's gonna be 1LW based on his play, so no point disputing that. Plots looked like a beast, and if Sprong is coming in and Dupuis is coming out, i'd much rather give Sprong an opportunity in the top 9 rather than Perron who has one good game for every three. and he played poorly today too.

1) damn

2) just look at his face off statistics, geno has always been a liability in the circle. and if its because he doesn't care enough to win them, then for god's sake why didn't they convert him to wing and play him with crosby a decade ago? and the fact that Crosby was on the right half board, where geno thrives on the man advantage, is just salt in the wounds

So you are basing everything on this game? Kunitz absolutely sucked for the whole season. And perron is actually playing good hockey since beeing put on a line with Geno. I like Plots a lot. And I like him on the side of Malkin. But you have to go with Perron beside Sid than.

1) Yeah but that was no surprise. He is kind of a midget and was manhandled most of the time by the physical kings forwards.

2) Do you know there are a lot more things to playing center than faceoffs? Faceoffs are overrated as ****. Some time ago someone (on this board I think) provided a stat that faceoff winning percentage has not a lot to do with puck possession. Geno is one of the 3 best centers in the league. You don't move him to wing because he doesn't really care about faceoffs.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Geno's line really laid a rare stinker tonight with a -3.
Also unlucky with the many chances Phil had that he couldn't convert.
They'll be better.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I put this loss on Kessel, was about to write it anyway, that EN situation changed nothing.. Just an icing on the cake. Awful performance overall by Kessel, he cost us big time tonight.

At least MJ finally realized that playing Crosby with worst forward on the team (Dupuis) is not the way to go.. too bad that BB didn´t score on that golden chance set up by 87 before that penalty shot though.. His place might have been cemented there had he done it.

Defense is terrible.. and yeah, Letang (for as underwhelming as he´s been) was badly missed today. How Scuderi still remains in the NHL is a mystery.

Just to clarify..

I like Kessel, he´s easily our best winger, but his game today was UNACCEPTABLE. Brutal. Terrible defensively, creating nothing.. just missing and killing great chances created by Malkin.. Yeah, imagine Kunitz, Dupuis or even Crosby (usual scapegoats) having a game like this.. this board would be exploding. That said, Dupuis is still in his own universe of awfulness and he was there today as well. Bit different but equally terrible as Kessel. But yeah, I´m getting used to to his uselessness. As for Kessel, he has his moments but overall I feel like he can and should be quite a lot better than he has been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad