Confirmed with Link: Kindl extended 4 years 9.6 mil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
That's because of his ability to walk the offensive blueline. Like CaptBob said, almost reminiscent of Lidstrom. Hopefully Kindl can continue to improve on his game in the defensive and neutral zones, but I can't complain about this deal. Sure came along way from him frequently getting benched by Babcock at the start of last season.

Walking the line, and also an uncanny ability to have the puck make it through.

When you think back on how much of a struggle that was for our defense during the playoffs.... it's sorely needed. And like I said back a couple of months ago after noticing it, I hope they have Kindl do some kind of camp with the guys to show them how it's done. Because this constant shot blocked>>rush the other way garbage has to stop.

petesrw

Apr 6, 2009
I am high on Kindl and love this deal. I would expect him to be thrown into the fire more this next season. Worse case scenario is he shows no improvement and solidifies himself as a possibly overpaid bottom pairing defensemen. Best case scenario is that he continues improving and becomes a steal, which is what I think will happen.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
More than I was expecting (I was expecting between $1.25m to $2m) given his usage the past couple of seasons and his last contract, but he was the team's #4 defenseman over the course of the season in ice time, so it's pretty justifiable given the deal Quincey got expecting the same position.

And given that the Kindl/Dekeyser pairing was playing as a very solid second unit at the end of the season (I'm still not sure why that Kindl and DD/Cola was turned into the third unit in the playoffs) he definitely proved himself worthy of a $2.4m cap hit.

I just hope it doesn't cost the Wings up front. Hopefully we can get Lecavalier on a discount due to his buyout.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
This deal makes me happy. Kindl has turned into a bright spot. I think he takes a big step with the newfound confidence this contract gives him. Ata boy, Kenny!

Oct 18, 2006
Love everything about this deal. Most importantly, it shows that the Wings (finally) have faith in Kindl. In my eyes he's definitely capable of being a 40 point defenseman in this league. Great deal, go Jakub!!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
More than I was expecting (I was expecting between $1.25m to $2m) given his usage the past couple of seasons and his last contract, but he was the team's #4 defenseman over the course of the season in ice time, so it's pretty justifiable given the deal Quincey got expecting the same position.

And given that the Kindl/Dekeyser pairing was playing as a very solid second unit at the end of the season (I'm still not sure why that Kindl and DD/Cola was turned into the third unit in the playoffs) he definitely proved himself worthy of a $2.4m cap hit.

I just hope it doesn't cost the Wings up front. Hopefully we can get Lecavalier on a discount due to his buyout.

Avg toi was 5th in playoffs on D. 6th If we count Lashoff.

6th during reg. season if we count White and Cola. I recall him having less ice time than Smith at some point but guess his pp time pushed him just above Smith as he was on pp for almost 1:30 more. per game.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Like the years, love the price... really was the right time to do this deal, had it been last offseason we may have been a little unsure as to what we had but I liked a lot of what I saw this year and believe he will continue to improve.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
A little much (in cap hit and term) for a 26yo who might get 30 points and who implodes under the forecheck, but I'm fine with it, given Detroit's defense situation. Hopefully he can touch 40 points in one of these seasons.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
A little much (in cap hit and term) for a 26yo who might get 30 points and who implodes under the forecheck, but I'm fine with it, given Detroit's defense situation. Hopefully he can touch 40 points in one of these seasons.

30 points is nothing to pick at though. That's getting close to what Kronwall was doing on the 2nd pairing.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Well his good at the offensive blue line, guess we need it. Ok deal. Could become a steal if he continues to develop now that he gets confidence from the management, lets hope for it!

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
30 points is nothing to pick at though. That's getting close to what Kronwall was doing on the 2nd pairing.

Oh I agree it's nothing to pick at. I just don't agree with the 50-point projections I've seen thrown around. I'm fine with this deal, all things considered.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Oh I agree it's nothing to pick at. I just don't agree with the 50-point projections I've seen thrown around. I'm fine with this deal, all things considered.

Agree, 50 points seems much; he's become a much better passer afaict but he's not elite and his shot isn't elite either.

He is sneaky good at getting pucks on the net from the point, lets hope the extra money is a sign that they're going to let him QB the powerplay or at least one of the PP lines. I think he's always going to be a 2nd pairing defenseman (which is fine for 2.4 but not thrilling) but if he makes some noise on the PP and it means we stop forcing Kronner to be someone he's not (PP QB); it's value added/worth it.

RedWingsNow*

The major difference between Kindl and Kronwall's production is this:
Kindl plays with third and fourth liners. Kronwal with first and second liners.
If Kindl gets legit second pairing duty and plays first unit PP... you;ll see his point totals over 40 and closing in on 50.
Anyone who looks at the numbers can see that.l

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think he's always going to be a 2nd pairing defenseman (which is fine for 2.4 but not thrilling) but if he makes some noise on the PP and it means we stop forcing Kronner to be someone he's not (PP QB); it's value added/worth it.

I think Kronwall is a pretty good PP QB. But when you're on the ice with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they're usually the ones quarterbacking the power play. His special teams points were impressive again this year (16 points on the power play). He can make some great passes, but my only problem with him is that he's not very good at holding the puck in the zone. He should probably hit the net more often too; I would like to see the 15 goal Kronwall back.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Kindl gets legit second pairing duty and plays first unit PP... you;ll see his point totals over 40 and closing in on 50.
Anyone who looks at the numbers can see that.l

I could already see Kindl as our main PP quarterback. They "sheltered" him on that role at last season to get this cheap extension done. Just like they do with every RFA to control those caphits.

Kindl has the best point shot from our current defencemen. He has some eye to get those shots through and to the net. That's enough, then the tip-ins and screens are possible to made by forwards. Kronner shot too much wide and too much was blocked.

Now nothing prevents Kindl being that go-to guy. If he becomes a real 1st, then he deserves the big contract after this current contract. Maybe at Red Wings, maybe elsewhere. There could the guy named Sproul or somebody else cheap prospect ready to take the charge after 2018.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

That's a difference. The major difference is that Kronwall is a much better player than Kindl.

Nah. Even Kronwall has only broken 40 points once in his career, and while Kindl may actually be a slightly better PP QB than Kronwall, overall, Kronwall is the superior offensive player. Kindl's often over-rated. He a 3rd-pairing defenseman who can contribute on the PP, which has its value, but he's never going to be much more than that.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Good to see some other people are almost as high on Kindl as I am. Great on the breakout. Very solid defensively. SHows a lot on the PP and I think if they put him on the #1 unit he could really put up some numbers. I think he's already our best D-man and will continue to improve. Great signing

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nah. Even Kronwall has only broken 40 points once in his career, and while Kindl may actually be a slightly better PP QB than Kronwall, overall, Kronwall is the superior offensive player. Kindl's often over-rated. He a 3rd-pairing defenseman who can contribute on the PP, which has its value, but he's never going to be much more than that.

That's why we should maximize the roles in our team. Reduce Kronwall's role on power-play (put Kindl in) and let Kronner lead the offensive play at even strength. I think that PP time reduction could do wonders for Kronwall as a better defensive player that is his biggest liability.

Win-win.

With Kindl we get more effective PP. And we also get more effective Kronwall at ES+PK.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Really like this deal, happy Kenny got it done, the years surprise me, but that is to the Red Wings' advantage, so I am happy about that. Hopefully he keeps progressing, he finally got the ice time and opportunities a lot of us have been begging to see him get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad