Confirmed with Link: Kindl extended 4 years 9.6 mil

Status
Not open for further replies.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Kindl was easily the team's most improved player this season, and he has the rare gift of being able to consistently get shots on net through a crowd.

That's because of his ability to walk the offensive blueline. Like CaptBob said, almost reminiscent of Lidstrom. Hopefully Kindl can continue to improve on his game in the defensive and neutral zones, but I can't complain about this deal. Sure came along way from him frequently getting benched by Babcock at the start of last season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think it's a way to assure he becomes an asset aswell. From his side it was probably a one year deal so he can hit the market next summer, or a longer deal. Signing him to a one year deal watching him take another step in his game, just to hit the market next summer, would've sucked.

At worst, I think, Smith and Kindl end up around the same level as Niskanen. He's another respectable puck mover with questionable defensive instincts, and received nearly the same dollar amount in his last contract.

Hopefully, though, they both round out their games and look like legitimate top 4 defenders that can also inject some life into the powerplay.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Curious to see what Smith gets now. Perhaps 4 years at 8.5M would be cool with me.

If I'm Smith, I take a shorter deal and gamble I can increase my production and eventual paycheck.

Which is what I thought Kindl would do, so it's kind of nice to see both parties are committed more long-term.

RedWingsNow*

At worst, I think, Smith and Kindl end up around the same level as Niskanen. He's another respectable puck mover with questionable defensive instincts, and received nearly the same dollar amount in his last contract.

Hopefully, though, they both round out their games and look like legitimate top 4 defenders that can also inject some life into the powerplay.

I don't think Kind's defensive instincts are poor. Not great. But good enough.
His problem is passing in his own end and the neutral zone. You can almost sense the panic when he's about to cough it up.

Defensively, his only problem is that Dumbass Babcock doesn't trust him.
But Kindl in the playoffs had 21 hits (3rd on the team, behind only Ericsson and Kronwall).
He had 20 blocked shots. More than everyone except Kronwall.
Despite his giveaways (3rd worst with 10), he had less than Ericsson (14) and Smith (11).

In the regular season he was second in hits (46) behind Kronwall and sixth in blocked shots (33).

Not to mention his +/- records. His +15 in the regular season was 8 better than the second place guy.
Again he let the team in the playoffs +4.

His stats are helped by his "sheltered" icetime. But at the same time, he's typically playing with the third line.
He also doesn't benefit i in +/- because of special teams, where he plays PP but not the PK.

Truth is, I think Kindl should be getting PK time instead of Smith. Perhaps KQ too.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I don't think Kind's defensive instincts are poor. Not great. But good enough.
His problem is passing in his own end and the neutral zone. You can almost sense the panic when he's about to cough it up.

Yep exactly what I observed as well. As comfortable and confident as he holding the offensive blueline, he's equally as uncomfortable on his side of center ice. Panic is the only way to describe it.

RedWingsNow*

By the way -- the playoff stats are very, very unkind to Jonathan Ericsson.

A few years ago, it was the trendy thing to do to bash Ericsson. Then it became trendy to say he's the cat's meow.

But the truth is that Jonny E really isn't all that good. He's not terrible and he's gotten better. But for a guy who PKs as much as he does and is big as he is, he doesn't block a lot of shots - which says something about something (positioning? willingness to sacrifice?). For a guy who doesn't lug the puck up the ice, he gives the puck away a lot.

He wants to re-up his deal --- and if the Wings go over $4M for him, they're crazy

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

A few years ago, it was the trendy thing to do to bash Ericsson. Then it became trendy to say he's the cat's meow.

But the truth is that Jonny E really isn't all that good. He's not terrible and he's gotten better. But for a guy who PKs as much as he does and is big as he is, he doesn't block a lot of shots - which says something about something (positioning? willingness to sacrifice?). For a guy who doesn't lug the puck up the ice, he gives the puck away a lot.

He wants to re-up his deal --- and if the Wings go over $4M for him, they're crazy

Big E's deal is fine where it's at. He's better than you say IMO. He just needs to be more consistent. His play really went downhill for a time when he was paired with Kronwall.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

I'm not sure what Ericcson has to do with this thread, but the fact is that players of his caliber are worth $4 million on the open market.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

He pretty much makes what he's worth. 4 mil wouldn't be THAT bad actually, but I wouldn't go above it either

He's the cat's meow right now because he's a pretty reliable stay at home guy on a team full of puck movers. Kronwall, Kindl, Quincey?, and Smith are all mostly known for their puck handling. DeKeyser is a wild card at the moment.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Never been much of a fan, it's not a terrible deal. The hope is he'll continue to improve and can become more than a third pairing guy. At worst he'll be a stop gap until the real talent arrives in a few years.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
nice deal with the term it has

especially when you consider that 3 of those 4 years would have been UFA years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad