Confirmed with Link: Kindl extended 4 years 9.6 mil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
That's why we should maximize the roles in our team. Reduce Kronwall's role on power-play (put Kindl in) and let Kronner lead the offensive play at even strength. I think that PP time reduction could do wonders for Kronwall as a better defensive player that is his biggest liability.

Win-win.

With Kindl we get more effective PP. And we also get more effective Kronwall at ES+PK.
My thought is, why not Kronwall AND Kindl on the #1 PP? Kronwall likes to pass, Kindl likes to shoot. Everybody wins.

Plus, it gets us away from that terrible Brunner at the point thing.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Helluva deal. The first year of the deal is an average cap hit, but as he continues to grow, this will become a heck of a bargain. I don't see why Kindl couldn't put up 20 points next season and get close to 30 over the next couple seasons, maye even approach 40 points. 30-40 points for that cap hit is a steal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Whoa. I feel like this is a little bit of an overstatement.

There are nights where he is. He certainly has the skill set and raw physical tools to be. But his thing consistency, while improving that is his big problem. I agree that people claiming this are wrong for the most part. But it is worth mentioning he can be our best D-man some nights and in a way that absolutely looks like Top 4 D-man. That is part of what makes him exciting, along with his newly found physicality, hope he is building off last year with a hard workout off-season and not just happy about this contract.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My thought is, why not Kronwall AND Kindl on the #1 PP? Kronwall likes to pass, Kindl likes to shoot. Everybody wins.

Plus, it gets us away from that terrible Brunner at the point thing.

I'd like to try Zetterberg on the point and Brunner on the left-side forward position, where he could use his shot at best for onetimers.

----------- Mule(net-front)------------
Brunner ---------------------Datsyuk--

-------- Kindl ----- Zetterberg --------

Something like that.

----------- Bertuzzi(net-front) ----------
Nyquist ------------------ Lecavalier---

------- Kronwall ------- Smith -----------

2nd PP. :)

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
I'd like to try Zetterberg on the point and Brunner on the left-side forward position, where he could use his shot at best for onetimers.

Something like that.

Babs has tried the "netfront Mule presence" before. Quite frankly, Franzen is awful there. His shot and his size are his strengths. Let him play @ the dot a la Stamkos and use his skill set to his advantage

pdd

Feb 7, 2010

Something like that.

No... no. Please no.

1) Swap Zetterberg and Brunner.
2) Then swap Kronwall and Brunner.
3) Then swap Bertuzzi and Lecavalier.
4) Then swap Bertuzzi and Brunner.
5) Then swap Bertuzzi and Quincey.

Result:

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Franzen
Kindl/Kronwall

Nyquist/Lecavalier/Brunner
Quincey/Smith

Babs has tried the "netfront Mule presence" before. Quite frankly, Franzen is awful there. His shot and his size are his strengths. Let him play @ the dot a la Stamkos and use his skill set to his advantage

Franzen can play the net-front role. It's not his strength, and he's certainly limited when he does it, but he can do it better than most. What is surprisingly shocking (but became evident in 2011-12) is that Jiri Hudler might be better at it than Franzen is. That's one of the reasons I was shocked Hudler was let go; despite his flaws (size/speed), his offensive versatility is hard to match.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I don't think using players' strengths is one of Babcock's strengths.

See: Brunner on point constantly. Mule's shot being taken away because all he's doing is trying to tip pucks in front.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
What is surprisingly shocking (but became evident in 2011-12) is that Jiri Hudler might be better at it than Franzen is. That's one of the reasons I was shocked Hudler was let go; despite his flaws (size/speed), his offensive versatility is hard to match.

Hudler got a really raw deal from most DET fans who only saw him for the bad season he had immediately following his stint in the KHL. But after that Hudler continued to improve he game, especially along the boards where a stiff breeze was once all it took to knock him off the puck. There isnt a person on the planet who can convince me that Samuelsson @3m per was a better idea than giving Jiri the 4m per he wanted. And it looks even worse now that Filppula deserves a doorknob to the rectum

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Hudler got a really raw deal from most DET fans who only saw him for the bad season he had immediately following his stint in the KHL. But after that Hudler continued to improve he game, especially along the boards where a stiff breeze was once all it took to knock him off the puck. There isnt a person on the planet who can convince me that Samuelsson @3m per was a better idea than giving Jiri the 4m per he wanted. And it looks even worse now that Filppula deserves a doorknob to the rectum

3v0qsq.jpg

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Franzen can play the net-front role. It's not his strength, and he's certainly limited when he does it, but he can do it better than most. What is surprisingly shocking (but became evident in 2011-12) is that Jiri Hudler might be better at it than Franzen is. That's one of the reasons I was shocked Hudler was let go; despite his flaws (size/speed), his offensive versatility is hard to match.

Franzen becomes a great net-front guy, when we get better point-players.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think the beauty of the deal is that if he never improves a lot, he still isn't overpaid by very much. It's a great deal for a 4/5 tweener guy.

The biggest positive IMO is he's filling a clear need on the PP. If he can continue to make strides there then he's worth every penny of that contract. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of him at EVS but I think he can earn that contract pretty easily through his contributions on the power play.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Franzen becomes a great net-front guy, when we get better point-players.

When Franzen was in beast mode during the playoffs a few years back he could carry the puck into the slot and unleash that great wrist shot. That's a power forward game but obviously it takes its toll. We have no one else on the roster who can play that type of game. Bert could at one point but now he's a perimeter player - when he is actually capable of playing.

I don't know if we'll see Mule play that way again. I agree that having better all around talent on the ice should give him a bit more space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad