KHL Season 2018/2019

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Man, Minsk's goalie was awful tonight. Let in at least 2 goals, including the OT winner that should easily have been stopped. Minsk came back from 3-1 down in the third to take it to OT, only to have their goalie suck wind and lose it for them. Refs kinda went crazy in the third period too. Seemed like there was a penalty every thirty seconds.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Bulir so far is on Magnitka's 1st line and Shore on the 3rd. Interesting to see if this lasts.

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
The fact that there is still no decision about Arena Omsk gets me really anxious. Anyone is welcome to answer for sure but I'm mainly asking Russians or people who know the area well... If no solution can be found for the arena, how long would it take for Omsk to come back to KHL? I'm sure they won't be allowed to play out of Moscow for next five years. Russian economy is not in a position to let build a new arena from scratch in Omsk in a year from scratch, either. So unless the problems are fixed, it looks like they might be headed to VHL for some time.

Personally, I've never been to Omsk but things I read online tell me that people in Omsk adore hockey and Avangard really means a lot to them. I wish to believe in this and hope that some solution will be found one way or another. It'd be disastrous (at least for me) to lose Avangard from KHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm sure they won't be allowed to play out of Moscow for next five years.
Why? As long as they have the funding they will undoubtedly stay in the KHL. If it's indeed that long-term they might play somewhere like Krasnodar but understandably there are a lot of moving pieces so they might stay in Balashika as well. Definitely don't see them being kicked to the VHL unless they want to.

Reactions: Exarz

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Avangarde are drawing better in Balalshika than Dynamo Moscow draw in Moscow. I can't see the KHL having any problem with Avangarde remaining there until the arena problem is solved one way or the other. Avangarde aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Anyone watching khl games in Austria/Estonia?

I watched the first period of Slovan-CSKA. Probably will not watch the rest. CSKA are just destroying Slovan and other than the fact that it is being played abroad, there is absolutely nothing intriguing about the game. Slovan showed signs of life in the later portion of the first period but couldn't manage to get anything out of it. I'd be surprised if they lost even by three goals - this game seems to be going nowhere good for them.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Anyone watching khl games in Austria/Estonia?
Jokerit-Spartak is pretty close however Jokerit deserves the lead (3-3 with 5 minutes to go)

The game is sold out and the majority of the spectators seem to cheer for Spartak

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Russians from Estonia probably
Exactly, which is why I've been a bit critical against the Tallinn weekend and its marketing. The Russians, Belarusians and Ukrainians make up about 40% of Tallinn's population, those can easily be discarded in the marketing. Same with anyone outside Tallinn (I doubt they would be that interested in Jokerit). That leaves us with about 270,000 habitants, which isn't that much and like I doubt more than 100 people would actually generate any revenue for Jokerit in the future...

I mean, Dinamo Riga played in Tallinn as well and as of no surprise, the Russian teams were heavily favoured in the arena.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Exactly, which is why I've been a bit critical against the Tallinn weekend and its marketing. The Russians, Belarusians and Ukrainians make up about 40% of Tallinn's population, those can easily be discarded in the marketing. Same with anyone outside Tallinn (I doubt they would be that interested in Jokerit). That leaves us with about 270,000 habitants, which isn't that much and like I doubt more than 100 people would actually generate any revenue for Jokerit in the future...

I mean, Dinamo Riga played in Tallinn as well and as of no surprise, the Russian teams were heavily favoured in the arena.
I agree to that, why not have a weekend in Norway/Denmark? or in Poland?

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I agree to that, why not have a weekend in Norway/Denmark? or in Poland?
I guess that the language barrier and the closeness between Tallinn and Helsinki is a reason. Since Estonians and Finnish people basically can understand each other, it doesn't require that much. However, since Jokerit has a clear Scandinavian connection with 6 Scandinavian players, it would make sense to try and brand the team more in Scandinavia.

I don't think it would end up a in disaster if they decided to play a game in Copenhagen or Herning, especially if all the Danes are healthy. Playing in Stockholm would've been fun since it's just a boat ride away, but I don't think it's realistic in this moment with the conservative trends growing in Swedish hockey.

Reactions: cska78

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I guess that the language barrier and the closeness between Tallinn and Helsinki is a reason. Since Estonians and Finnish people basically can understand each other, it doesn't require that much. However, since Jokerit has a clear Scandinavian connection with 6 Scandinavian players, it would make sense to try and brand the team more in Scandinavia.

I don't think it would end up a in disaster if they decided to play a game in Copenhagen or Herning, especially if all the Danes are healthy. Playing in Stockholm would've been fun since it's just a boat ride away, but I don't think it's realistic in this moment with the conservative trends growing in Swedish hockey.
I will ask here. Any development in the new SHL TV deal? Allsvenskan wanted a bigger share if I remember.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I will ask here. Any development in the new SHL TV deal? Allsvenskan wanted a bigger share if I remember.
Each league negotiates its own deal. SHL got a new deal starting this season (expires in 2024) which gives each club between 4,000,000€ and 4,600,000€ (the previous amount was approximately 2,800,000€). HockeyAllsvenskan's deal expires in 2021 and is worth each club about 220,000€ (the previous amount was about 170,000€). Sure, both leagues have got an increase, but so has the economic gap. Unofficial numbers have shown that HockeyAllsvenskan stands for around 30% of C More's revenue from hockey but only gets about 5% of the total deal for both leagues.

An investigation is being presented in November about the future of Swedish hockey for the three top leagues with everything from proposed amount of teams in each league, relegation system, arena and economical criteria etc. All three top leagues have presented their own suggestion for how the league structure should be. I can send you more details in a PM.

PS: Sorry for the off topic

Reactions: vorky

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

Yeah, playing in Sweden, imho, is not a good idea...

Reactions: Exarz

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Quick question - what's the best way for a Canadian who doesn't speak/read any Russian to follow St Petersburg? Is there a English discussion board, or place highlights are posted?

I haven't really followed the KHL before but I'm (still) a big Yakupov fan so I'd like to follow his KHL path as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy left here who actively wants to follow Yakupov from North America, but if anyone else had the same question, I found this great youtube playlist that will hopefully be updated going forward:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy left here who actively wants to follow Yakupov from North America, but if anyone else had the same question, I found this great youtube playlist that will hopefully be updated going forward:
I didn't see a vid of him blowing coverage against SU for which he got subsequently benched and scratched (hence he has played 11 minutes in 2 last SKA games). I'd say the playlist skips some key moments.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I didn't see a vid of him blowing coverage against SU for which he got subsequently benched and scratched (hence he has played 11 minutes in 2 last SKA games). I'd say the playlist skips some key moments.

This started with me asking how best to follow SKA - if you have a place I can watch game highlights I'd take it. Thus far this is the best I've been able to find.

(and obviously a highlight package isn't going to show blown coverage, lol)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00