KHL Season 2018/2019

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Gulyavtsev is a good coach and it's not his fault the team is losing - they have a poor roster as is and it's hampered even worse by a myriad of injuries - but the time is approaching when Severstal will make a change just for the sake of it. My personal guess he will be fired by December.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Riga with a big win over Loko tonight. Gotta say it's really nice seeing large, loud crowds at Riga games again.
It's sad, how they go and then don't go. This is the only somewhat credible team in Latvia. I believe there is a team in VTB league as well, but they are not very good, no the VEF team from the Soviet days for sure.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Avto now 24-1... I love how they played "нас не догонят" ("Not Gonna Get Us" of T.A.T.U) in the arena in the final moments. I hope they won't pull an Avangard and get kicked out early come play-off time.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Avto now 24-1... I love how they played "нас не догонят" ("Not Gonna Get Us" of T.A.T.U) in the arena in the final moments. I hope they won't pull an Avangard and get kicked out early come play-off time.

Most teams that shoot their wad in the regular season, don't usually last long in the playoffs. It's too hard to maintain that kind of momentum for that long a stretch. Avto need a nice healthy losing streak at some point, to get the fire stoked again.

Not sure how controversial this will be, but from the games I've seen, I'd have to say that Barys are the second most dangerous team in the East right now. They can fill the net with the best of them, and after a horrific start, the defence is playing a lot better.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Personally, I think they are a paper tiger thriving on playing in the terrible division. They are a good, deep team but nowhere as good as their recent results show. I mean they are led in scoring by Roman Starchenko who has, at the age of 32, scored roughly as many points in 22 games as is his career average over the full season. Don't get me wrong, they won't gonna crash and burn like they did last year because they do have solid depth but they aren't an actual contender either.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Personally, I think they are a paper tiger thriving on playing in the terrible division. They are a good, deep team but nowhere as good as their recent results show. I mean they are led in scoring by Roman Starchenko who has, at the age of 32, scored roughly as many points in 22 games as is his career average over the full season. Don't get me wrong, they won't gonna crash and burn like they did last year because they do have solid depth but they aren't an actual contender either.

I disagree. I've seen this team play a a number of times now, and they believe they are going to win each game. Nothing seems to rattle them. They have a decent amount of talent, but they also have confidence, and that can take you a long way. Does that mean I think they are a cup contender, not necessarily. Just that I think this team, at this point in the season, is a more dangerous team than say Ak Bars or Magnitka. All that can change of course with an injury or two, or losing some winnable games.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I disagree. I've seen this team play a a number of times now, and they believe they are going to win each game. Nothing seems to rattle them. They have a decent amount of talent, but they also have confidence, and that can take you a long way. Does that mean I think they are a cup contender, not necessarily. Just that I think this team, at this point in the season, is a more dangerous team than say Ak Bars or Magnitka. All that can change of course with an injury or two, or losing some winnable games.
AkBars vs. Barys seems to be a very one sided thing every time they meet in the playoffs. That Barys team is just smoke and mirrors unlike Avto.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
AkBars vs. Barys seems to be a very one sided thing every time they meet in the playoffs. That Barys team is just smoke and mirrors unlike Avto.

And the Red Sox were never going to win the World Series, until they did. No horse was ever going to win the Triple Crown again, until Secretariat did it in 1973, and then Affirmed a few years later and Seattle Slew the year after that. New team, new year. What happened in the past has absolutely no effect on this year's team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
And the Red Sox were never going to win the World Series, until they did. No horse was ever going to win the Triple Crown again, until Secretariat did it in 1973, and then Affirmed a few years later and Seattle Slew the year after that. New team, new year. What happened in the past has absolutely no effect on this year's team.
Only there had to be some changes obvious or less obvious. So far Barys is just more of the same if not worse without Dawes and let's face it with Dallman who doesn't watch his weight really. Ditz replaced him well, but that's a replacement, not an improvement. I am not saying they will never win, but they have to do something in that direction. So far I don't see it. Just a hot streak.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Salavat couldn't score on PP even though they played 5 on 3 for combined 4 minutes or so. Pretty terrible especially considering the personnel they have.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
It's sad, how they go and then don't go. This is the only somewhat credible team in Latvia. I believe there is a team in VTB league as well, but they are not very good, no the VEF team from the Soviet days for sure.

VEF in the VTB league are shocking. Its sad but true to say. Always bottom feeding and having under 500 fans show up at Arena Riga is madness. Why don't they just use a smaller venue to try fill it out?!

Anyway back to Riga. It is a shame when the fans stop filling the place. I mean us getting 5/6k even when on a bad run is decent but the arena is then half empty still. Problem is a decent ticket (or most tickets) costs around €22. So for a family to go that is pretty expensive when wages are still very low for most people. So they just watch at home I guess when we are getting beaten every game.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well VTB league itself is pretty shocking and has next to nothing to offer to the teams.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Some time ago i heard SKA wants to play a game in Krestovsky Stadium (Zenit) this season. Anyone know if there is any plans for it?

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
I really enjoy Robert Rosen's game so far. Perfect fit for a team like Sochi

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I haven't watched CSKA home game this season until today. New arena?
Yes. They share the arena with Spartak. That is the same arena which was shared by Spartak & Dynamo last season. The arena is called CSKA Arena, formerly VTB Ledovy Dvorets or Arena Legend.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Yes. They share the arena with Spartak. That is the same arena which was shared by Spartak & Dynamo last season. The arena is called CSKA Arena, formerly VTB Ledovy Dvorets or Arena Legend.

Former VTB Ice Palace, got it. And Dynamo moved to Megasport Sport Palace.

Was that the plan all along?

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
CSKA is playing well today, Jokerit completely neutralized.

Great crowd in new arena. Build it and they will come.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Former VTB Ice Palace, got it. And Dynamo moved to Megasport Sport Palace.

Was that the plan all along?
It is a bit complicated.

It was a plan Dynamo will replace VTB Ice Palace by another arena. Megasport is only a temporary until January 2019 when Dynamo moving to VTB Arena at Petrovsky park (soccer stadium + hockey arena).

CSKA used an old arena as you know & there was a pressure from the KHL to move to modern arena. CSKA wanted to build their own... finally, they moved to VTB Ice Palace/CSKA Arena.

Spartak considering to move to another arena for next season. They do not like the arena, where they play now, is called CSKA.... especially fans do not like it.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
It is a bit complicated.

It was a plan Dynamo will replace VTB Ice Palace by another arena. Megasport is only a temporary until January 2019 when Dynamo moving to VTB Arena at Petrovsky park (soccer stadium + hockey arena).

CSKA used an old arena as you know & there was a pressure from the KHL to move to modern arena. CSKA wanted to build their own... finally, they moved to VTB Ice Palace/CSKA Arena.

Spartak considering to move to another arena for next season. They do not like the arena, where they play now, is called CSKA.... especially fans do not like it.

Yeah, makes sense.

This must have been best crowd CSKA had in a long while if not ever?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad