KHL Season 2018/2019

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Oh, Zagreb is a great city for Lemtyugov to drown his sorrows :) I was there when they were in the KHL for Zagreb - CSKA game, and right after the game walked in on 1/2 Medvescak team drinking in a restaurant ))))

Reactions: maxim84

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Oh, Zagreb is a great city for Lemtyugov to drown his sorrows :) I was there when they were in the KHL for Zagreb - CSKA game, and right after the game walked in on 1/2 Medvescak team drinking in a restaurant ))))

That's called teambuilding
I thought you were smarter LOL

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Hersley is having such an amazing season.. I don't think he has ever played better. Pretty sure he will get an NHL deal at this point if he wants to.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
shalunov went full oshie in so against ska, 3 straight for him, and every single one was a beauty. also, he is 5/5 in so this season (and if we count last season too, its 6/6)

Last edited:
Reactions: cska78

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It hasn't been like this in a long long time but with Yugra and Lada gone and Torpedo on their side, the East is so, so much better than the West at the moment.

Reactions: Exarz

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
It hasn't been like this in a long long time but with Yugra and Lada gone and Torpedo on their side, the East is so, so much better than the West at the moment.
I have to say, this season is the best in a long time. I'm also positively surprised how well the 2 point system has turned out to make it balanced.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I doubt it will be KHL honestly, teams that could afford him seem and ones without import limit probably couldn`t. Somebody might surprise (Minsk still haven`t signed any real replacement for Bennett for example) but I think NLA likelier option at this point.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
league where mark arcobello of all people can be leading point scorer. i hope he'll choose harder competition but at 32 easy money seems more reasonable especially considering his injuries

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
league where mark arcobello of all people can be leading point scorer. i hope he'll choose harder competition but at 32 easy money seems more reasonable especially considering his injuries
This seems like a rather unnecessary shot at Arcobello who is a talented small guy who almost made it in the NHL. Especially when the player who led the KHL in PPG last season was Nigel Dawes who is very much the same case. I'd say your feeling of KHL's superiority is 10 years late, plenty of players going back and forth.

Having said that, he is going wherever a team agrees to pay him a reasonable amount and there are just no places in the KHL who could afford him. Except maybe Minsk, at a discount price, as I mentioned earlier. So is it really better to play for some KHL basement dweller rather than something like Bern?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Not sure whether you are underestimating Arcobello, or not aware that there probably are only 2 leagues that are better than NLA on the planet? :huh:

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Not sure whether you are underestimating Arcobello, or not aware that there probably are only 2 leagues that are better than NLA on the planet? :huh:

what? khl, shl, sm-liiga and even czech extraliga are clearly better than nla

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
what? khl, shl, sm-liiga and even czech extraliga are clearly better than nla
Again, you are stuck solid 10 years in the past. Liiga and Czech Extraleague aren't even close. SHL is at the same tier. Your surprise is really like someone's who just got out of the time capsule. In general, you seem like a sane person so it's rather surprising you are so lost in this topic.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Again, you are stuck solid 10 years in the past. Liiga and Czech Extraleague aren't even close. SHL is at the same tier. Your surprise is really like someone's who just got out of the time capsule.

well, CHL results speaks otherwise but whatever. if nla now is considered as a hockey force, we should start worrying about hockey. and i watch games. for me level of intensity in shl, khl or extraliga is completely incomparable with that in nla

e: i rarely google things but i tried it. not that i consider thehockeywriters as a wonderful and the only right source of information but even they put nla behind 4 mentioned leagues. article is from 2018 so it turns out that not only me just left the time capsule.

https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-best-ice-hockey-leagues/

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
well, CHL results speaks otherwise but whatever. if nla now is considered as a hockey force, we should start worrying about hockey. and i watch games. for me level of intensity in shl, khl or extraliga is completely incomparable with that in nla
CHL was won by a mediocre Finnish team last year who didn't even reach semis in Liiga PO, this year Storhamar knocked out Djurgardens and Trinec out of the competition. Salzburg knocked out Vaxjo, Bolzano knocked out HIFK.. Teams blatantly don't care about the CHL results, you can make any conclusions you want out of it. You can make a solid point French league is better than DEL, going by CHL results. Real European hockey powerhouses like Skelleftea, Tappara, Bern, Kometa, Zurich haven't achieved anything in the CHL, ever.

You can think whatever you want about intensity or whatnot point remains that plenty of top line players in the NLA are top line players in the KHL. Or SHL. Plenty of players move back and forth between those leagues with similar levels of success in each. If you look at the number of such players produced by the Liiga or Czech Extraleague it's low, to say the least. After NHL teams take their share of top-end talent, KHL/NLA skim off the rest and those leagues are left with scraps, in general. Liiga is currently lead in scoring by an Allsvenskan guy who couldn't cut it in the AHL. Super old guys are becoming a force there (this happened way earlier in the Czech league) with mediocre European-career players like Kallio or Tuppurainen in the scoring top-10. And the Czech league is even worse, in that regard. I mean Roberts Bukarts who couldn't crack Riga's roster is borderline star player there. Sure those leagues have few good teams at the top but same applies to all the leagues.

Guys like Da Costa, Vey, Omark who are KHL's top scorers, have played in the NLA for a reason.

Regarding the link, somebody in NA isn't knowledge about European hockey? Color me shocked. Surely it will take more than 5 years for the rest of the world to catch up with changes. I mean OHL, is 10th on that list, for Pete's sake, over something like EBEL which is roughly on par with DEL which they have ranked 7th. It's articles like these that further misinform people hence we had those "this OHL kid should make the team he is better than that PPG player from Europe" statements in bunches before last Olympics.

Canada's Olympic team had 4 players from NLA, 0 from Liiga. USA had 5 from NLA, 0 from Liiga. Swedish had 4 from NLA, 0 from Liiga. That should paint the general picture, somewhat, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
How's this for a day of upsets:

Amur beats Nizhnekamsk
Admiral beats Torpedo
Kunlun beats Ak Bars
Sibir beats Vityaz
Salvat beats SKA
And Dinamo Minsk are leading Avangard 1-0

Now before you jump all over me, I realize some of those are hardly David vs. Goliath, and some teams like Torpedo are seriously struggling right now, but if you are a chalk player, you would have taken a beating today.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
i think NLA is very - very close to the KHL, and I say NLA probably does not have teams as weak as the weakes of the KHL. People who underestimate NLA are kidding themselves, the number of ex-NHLers in that league is astonishing.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
i think NLA is very - very close to the KHL, and I say NLA probably does not have teams as weak as the weakes of the KHL. People who underestimate NLA are kidding themselves, the number of ex-NHLers in that league is astonishing.
Nah, Rapperswill is pretty terrible. Although they just added Smolenak, Kristo and I think have a good shot at Wolski as well. NLA does have it's fair share of bad teams every year, as bad as they KHL ones if not worse, but an average team is definitely close to the KHL average.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
And yet I was wrong all along, Kunlun did find the money. Their roster construction was very weird to say the least, they added St. Pierre, Sundstrom, Brust and now Wolski as well after the season already begun. I thought they had no money but turns out they were simply waiting for the discount season. Well, in any case, good for them. this is a very solid roster at the end of the day.

Subsequently, they release Ticar.

Last edited:
Reactions: cska78

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
And yet I was wrong all along, Kunlun did find the money. Their roster construction was very weird to say the least, they added St. Pierre, Sundstrom, Brust and now Wolski as well after the season already begun. I thought they had no money but turns out they were simply waiting for the discount season. Well, in any case, good for them. this is a very solid roster at the end of the day.

I guessed right :)

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine

Too bad they aren't SKA, who can sign 50 players, and keep the 400 they already have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->