KHL Season 2018/2019

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ava shoots from everywhere NA style. Metsola isn't too bothered with volume shooting, evidently.

And even though SU scored 3 goals on 11 shots 2 of them were as high danger chances as there can in hockey. As far as shot suppression goes you have to give full credit to Ava though, they are amazing at it. They only allowed 13 shots in the game against Minsk, 17 in one against Vityaz. Surely SU would have managed more but score effects kicked in. Ava absolutely peppers opponents goalies with shots when they trail, just like against Amur where they shot 57 times in a game they were mostly trailing.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Ava shoots from everywhere NA style. Metsola isn't too bothered with volume shooting, evidently.

And even though SU scored 3 goals on 11 shots 2 of them were as high danger chances as there can in hockey. As far as shot suppression goes you have to give full credit to Ava though, they are amazing at it. They only allowed 13 shots in the game against Minsk, 17 in one against Vityaz. Surely SU would have managed more but score effects kicked in. Ava absolutely peppers opponents goalies with shots when they trail, just like against Amur where they shot 57 times in a game they were mostly trailing.
64 shots on goal, lol...

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Yeah, 64 is a boatload of shots. I dare anybody to find another hockey game at any level in which losing side puts up such an insane number of shots. lol

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yeah, 64 is a boatload of shots. I dare anybody to find another hockey game at any level in which losing side puts up such an insane number of shots. lol

The Devils shot 70 times against Hašek back in the day. Scoring 0. An OT game it was and not so lopsided, but still insane.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Man Avto is getting seriously impressive. I keep expecting them to lose at some point and they are just having none of it. It's an away game against Magnitka and intrigue is more or less dead at the start of the 2nd.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Avtomobilist going towards their 16th win a row...nuts.

Leads their game 3-0 against Metallurg Magnitogorsk at Magnitogorsk,
that's a hell of a big deal BTW., 5th best team in the entire KHL,
team stacked with international level and star players.
- 3 times in the finals in 4 years, won 2 cups

mhurley

Jun 11, 2005
Long Island
Datsyuk will play unless he gets injured in the next few days. Since he is on a shutout streak I'd say there is 85% chance Shestyorkin plays as well.
Datysuk played. Shestyorkin didn't. SKA beat Sibir 5-0 with former Ranger Magnus Hellburg in goal. Great atmosphere. Meet Pat Verbeek at game. He works in Tampa front office and was in Russia scouting. Got sick in Russia but overall not a bad place. St Petersburg to Moscow on river cruise. Very clean country. No litter. Very little graffiti. Russian language tough.

Reactions: vorky

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What is the record? And how to hell could be exactly this team so unbeatable?
The current record is 20 wins in a row set by SKA last year.

Well they are good and lucky. Pretty much what you need to set any kind of record anyway. Those winning series come to an unlikely end most of the time, SKA lost at home to Sochi last year, for example. Avto will lose to something like Severstal in the shootout after Furch steals the show.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Traktor looking helpless, Titov is just waiting to get fired. He just isn't a KHL coach. Traktor has no scored less than 2 goals in 11 games. Out of 16. That is ridiculously terrible. Other than those two 7-2 and 6-5 wins Traktor has scored 14 goals in remaining 14 games.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What is the record? And how to hell could be exactly this team so unbeatable?
They just decided that having a good coach for once they could invest into improving the roster. And they did. Dawes, Sexton, Paré, DaCosta... That's a a dam' good influx. What is most surprising is their D. Kovar is top notch, they have no trouble in that position, but their D doesn't read like an All-Star-roster at all. I guess Martemianov is a good coach(understatement).

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I've been watching sports all my life, and I can honestly say there are very few teams in any league that I have neither hate for, or good feelings for. In most leagues that I follow, there are teams that I love, and teams that I hate, and very few that are in the "meh" category. Usually I hate teams because they are pure evil (ie. SKA, New York Yankees, New England Patriots), and conversely, I like teams because they are underdogs (ie. Slovan, Riga, Pittsburgh Pirates). I of course have my favourite teams (ie. Sibir, Dynamo Kiev, Philadelphia anything), and teams I have hated since childhood (ie, CSKA, New York Islanders, Toronto Blue Jays, San Francisco 49'ers).

One team that falls into the "meh" category, but which I have come to appreciate is Sochi. Despite all the problems they have had, and the lack of strong following in Sochi, they seem to assemble a decently competitive team each year. They aren't dominant or particularly great in any area of the game, but they play a decently entertaining brand of hockey, and just seem to win more than they lose and make the playoffs each year. This is a team that I would love to see take that next step and win a round in the playoffs.

Reactions: Jokeri and Rigafan

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
They just decided that having a good coach for once they could invest into improving the roster. And they did. Dawes, Sexton, Paré, DaCosta... That's a a dam' good influx. What is most surprising is their D. Kovar is top notch, they have no trouble in that position, but their D doesn't read like an All-Star-roster at all. I guess Martemianov is a good coach(understatement).

Tryamych

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Apparently German Titov has quit as Traktor coach for "family reasons".

I am guessing that his Traktor family was about to fire him, so he jumped ship to maintain some dignity and possibly keep his KHL coaching options more viable.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, he knew his time was up so I guess he felt there are better things to do than losing sleep over a few more weeks at the job.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Weren’t people like Pavel Bure supposed to be in on the Sochi project? And then it never happened.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Metsola has stopped 93 shots and recorded 2 shutouts in the last 2 games for Salavat. Think Amur might be missing his services a little?
He didn't get a shutout against Ava though. Also as unsustainable as it is, Alikin is currently holding higher Sv% than Metsola had last year. Amur is missing the guys who could put the puck in a net way more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad