KHL Season 2018/2019

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I'm in a way proud to see Avtomobilist like that. So so happy for this team. A big city with good enough capabilities to host a wonderful hockey team and finally the dream seems to have come true. If they keep being financially stable and build a new arena, we may have a new big gun in the east.

By the way, what is the record for most consecutive wins to start the season with? At this point I guess Avto have already broken it but not exactly sure. SKA at some point won 18 IIRC but this was in the middle portion of the season, right?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Lisin waived lol. He can't be this bad
He can. He was terrible for SYu last season, basically the reason they had no secondary scoring whatsoever last season and this season it didn't get any better. But Sibir gave him a contract gambling on a rebound year which isn't happening. He isn't an altogether terrible player but he is most likely overpaid for what he is nowadays because he is no more than 3rd liner even for offensively starving team. Not to mention that Sibir is letting players go left and right, if they released Sigaryov for no apparent reason it's no wonder Lisin got the axe as well.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm really quite excited how much better the teams are getting compared to when I wrote my season preview. Barys, Slovan, Nizhnekamsk, Omsk added players that really change the way the team is perceived. Even Amur and Admiral are trying to do something. Good stuff.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Pretty decent Saturday, with some good matchups on the schedule today: Avto put their win streak on the line against Dynamo Moscow, Magnitka face Loko at home, Riga take on Barys in Latvia and an improving Slovan take on Sochi in Bratislava.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Funny-ish thing is Sibir's president said they give up on the season. Although it is pretty reasonable from the moves they made it's pretty clear Sibir is quite aggressively moving towards money saving mode. They already have a worse team than the one they started the season with (thanks to both injuries and omissions) and probably won't look for any quick improvements which has to feel bad for their fans.

Sibir is basically what Admiral were supposed to be and Admiral is more or less what Sibir were supposed to be. So far, at least. It's possible they will crash and burn at some point as well.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Is it just me, or do referees seem to look for penalties to call on teams with a lead with under 2 minutes to play in a game? It used to be verboten for refs to call penalties late in games, and now it seems like they are overcompensating. Legitimate calls are one thing, but it seems like it's pretty much a guarantee if you have a 1 or 2 goal lead late in a game, you are going to get a penalty. Alright, I'll take my meds, and take off the tinfoil helmet now.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Love how Torpedo's goal song is now evidently Scooter's "How much is the fish?". Pretty hilarious.

Reactions: Exarz

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Ufa has 5 players with close ties to CSKA - a very interesting match.
Panin, Sergeev, Kugryshev, Zharkov, Osnovin, also Burdasov was a short-timer.

quite a serious contest looming.

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
In jatkoaika.com they are talking about HIFK:s situation with their arena. It needs to be renovated in the next 3-5 years. In that case somebody posted about the situation in Lausanne. At the moment they have there a temporary icehockey arena (youtube). So should Avangard built one like that too in Omsk, for the time they need to renovate Omsk arena? And if they do it now, could they even sell the temporary arena forward? So that they could get the arena even cheaper. According to this, the temporary arena in Lausanne cost something like 10 million euros (lausanne.ch).

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Anyone else watch the CSKA-Salavat game? The goal that Larsen scored with .3 left in the game, would that have counted in the NHL? Does the KHL not allow goals that are directed in with the skate, as long as there's no kicking motion? If they do, that goal should have counted. In any event, CSKA are the most boring team in the history of hockey. I swear if they had a first line of Gretzky-Lemieux-Crosby-Orr and Coffey all their wins would be 2-1.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Dynamo Moscow totally proving that you cannot buy a championship. They lost their 10th game tonight, against a pretty bad Traktor team, 1-0. You gotta figure the coach is gonna get the boot soon, but not sure how you can blame him, when you have all that talent, and they can't find a way to score a single goal against a poor team like Traktor.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Anyone else watch the CSKA-Salavat game? The goal that Larsen scored with .3 left in the game, would that have counted in the NHL? Does the KHL not allow goals that are directed in with the skate, as long as there's no kicking motion? If they do, that goal should have counted. In any event, CSKA are the most boring team in the history of hockey. I swear if they had a first line of Gretzky-Lemieux-Crosby-Orr and Coffey all their wins would be 2-1.
I missed that goal, but yeah Niktin is not the coach for that roster

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

If you alter the blade angle to redirect the puck it counts as a kicking motion. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have counted in the NHL either.

Agree about CSKA. This is the same team which couldn't score to save their life in the finals and you can see why. The fact that Kaprizov only has 6 points or something is just sad.

Dynamo Moscow totally proving that you cannot buy a championship. They lost their 10th game tonight, against a pretty bad Traktor team, 1-0. You gotta figure the coach is gonna get the boot soon, but not sure how you can blame him, when you have all that talent, and they can't find a way to score a single goal against a poor team like Traktor.

I think the coach is exactly the one to blame. You just can't underperform like this with that roster. And it's not like they simply can't score, they scored 5 goals against Magnitka and still lost. They just find a new way to lose every game. Shipachyov and Kagarlitsky score over PPG and yet the results are horrible. They will definitely bounce back but at this point the writing is on the wall for Vorobyov.

It's just that there aren't really many good coaches on the market. One could dream about Bykov, I guess. This roster isn't Znarok's or Skudra's cup of tea.

Last edited:

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
If you alter the blade angle to redirect the puck it counts as a kicking motion. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have counted in the NHL either.

I'm not blaming you, cuz it's not your rule, so don't take this as a personal attack, but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I mean it's like what's a catch in the NFL now. A kicking motion is a kicking motion. I thought the idea was to allow players to direct pucks into the net with their skates. How do you direct the puck without altering the blade angle? In fact I thought that goal was a text book case of what the NHL was aiming for when they changed the rule. If there is anything more insipidly stupid than a rules committee, I don't want to encounter it.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The KHL, and I hope the IIHF as well, rules regarding the skate/no-kicking/goal have changed before the season. There is an explanation.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm not blaming you, cuz it's not your rule, so don't take this as a personal attack, but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I mean it's like what's a catch in the NFL now. A kicking motion is a kicking motion. I thought the idea was to allow players to direct pucks into the net with their skates. How do you direct the puck without altering the blade angle? In fact I thought that goal was a text book case of what the NHL was aiming for when they changed the rule. If there is anything more insipidly stupid than a rules committee, I don't want to encounter it.

Just an example. You can't get less "kicking motion" than that but here we are. Basically, in the end, it only counts if the puck hits your skate without you initiating it.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Here we go. Krikunov appointed as new Head Coach by Dynamo.
An interesting thing about it, they didn't fire Vorobyov, just demoted him. The only person who did get fired is the ambitious Andrei Nikolishin who was rumored to be clashing with Vorobyov and was in the media conversation to replace him. So despite Vorobyov's demotion Dynamo's brass also showed whose side are they on. The rest of the staff remained as well.

Basically, it's like they thought the kids were alright but they weren't so they called in a wise old tutor and kicked the bully who disturbed things out of the class.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Krikunov is the past, bringing him on board just means that Dinamo is giving up on the season and can't bring anyone they truly want.
From all what happened I'd say they still want Vorobyov. Krikunov is a cleaner, short-term fixer. They are clearly not ready to move on from Vorobyov yet and didn't want to make a long-term commitment to what would be a new, long-term coach. Saying they are giving up on the season is ridiculous, with this roster they would make playoffs with a bucket-headed broomstick in charge.

Lets not forget Avto did something very similar with Krikunov last year, albeit from the beginning of the season. And it worked fine in both last season's performance, and them getting Martemyanov.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Let's see how much patience does the Loko board have because, from an outsider's perspective, they might want to invest some money into the team. Like, get a real backup at least.

On the other hand, when they decided to start the season with this team they probably have foreseen situations like this happen and might be fine with just riding it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad