KHL Season 20/21

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Avto 3-0 down in the first 6 minutes... :laugh: I understand they really don't want to pay Peters compensation but damn this team is a train wreck at the moment...

They called one back, make it 2-0. There is still hope :sarcasm:

Yeah, 5-1 after 1st. Pack your bags, comrade. At least the flight from Peter to Canada is shorter.

Last edited:

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
According to Nigel Dawes his "troika" with Da Costa and Tikhonov is perfect one. They speak English and this help them to play. It's visible on ice IMHO
I always wondered about this. How many foreigners who play in the KHL for an extended time learn Russian? Can Dawes or Da Costa speak decent Russian? Do they use translators at practices, or does the coaching staff switch back and forth between English and Russian?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I always wondered about this. How many foreigners who play in the KHL for an extended time learn Russian? Can Dawes or Da Costa speak decent Russian? Do they use translators at practices, or does the coaching staff switch back and forth between English and Russian?
It depends on the player more than anything. I know their former teammate Dan Sexton talks pretty good Russian but as far as I know Dawes doesn't at all. But Dawes' career path also plays into it, he has played in the KHL for so long but it's only his 3rd year for a Russian team. You don't really need to speak any Russian in Astana, the way that team is run. Most years, it probably had more English speakers than Russian. So at the end of the day, learning or not learning Russian is mostly about how comfortable you want to be in social situations outside of the rink.

Regarding the coaching situation, most Russian coaches speak English but North American coaches like Peters or Hartley walk around with interpreters. In Keenan's Magnitka Vorobyov was both assistant coach and interpreter.

Reactions: Rufus T Firefly

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Most foreign players don't go beyond being able to order at a restaurant. All because English is used way too much on the bench. I get it that many russian players speak a least some English anyway. Look, on AkBars Tikhonov, Galiev, Pedan, Burmistrov all speak English. Add the foreigners and it's nearly half the team. I personally don't like it at all. There should be a strict policy of learning Russian. But this has nothing to do with talking on the ice among say an all foreign or line like in the case you mentioned. On the ice it can even be a tactical move to not let the other team know hwat you are talking about:) But at team meetings, during debriefs and stuff like that there should be just Russian and the foreigners should give it an effort and learn at least all the hockey basics. The practice of constantly translating back and forth and usinfg assistants as translators is absurd.

I kinda like the case of Torpedo here. Nemirovsky the headcoach is fluent in Russian and English obviously.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Basic English is not a big deal for athletes these days.

On another side LOL, This is big! Jakub Kovar on Datsyuk: "Datsyuk is not the one who will motivate the guys. There is no leader at Avtomobilist". Anyone surprised by this statement?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
In their desperate bid to make things in the East interesting Sibir win a 4-point game in Nur-Sultan in regulation. They are still very much behind the 8ball but that's a good start.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Spartak, Severstal and Minsk are in their very own three-horse race who sucks the least but all failing pretty hard today, 3 regulation losses to 3 bottom teams of the league.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I wish Severstal makes it. At least they have some of thier own Vovchenko, Geraskin, and some that they allowed to flourish, while their teams didn't need them Petunin, Makeev, etc..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad