KHL Season 20/21

Hfratelli

Oct 14, 2020
Anyone knows why Minsk is that much of an underdog against Dynamo Moscow today? The odds for them to win straight up is 9 for 1 which is very unusual.

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
Here's Morozov's take on it:
This week we saw Nail Yakupov traded from Amur to Avangard. There were media reports that suggested this trade highlighted flaws in the salary cap.
On the contrary, this trade shows that the system is working. The player understood that he needed to accept a significant reduction in salary to enable the trade to go ahead. Everything went forward through the CIB and KHL’s Department of Inspection and Control. It’s no secret that Amur faces a difficult financial situation. In the summer, the club signed an expensive player and clearly could not afford him. Since the season started, Amur changed management and the new directors are trying to solve the club’s financial problems.
The club has reduced its financial burden and, it seems, the ability of the team has hardly suffered — look at how they played against Ak Bars in the first game after Yakupov’s departure. The player didn’t show what he was capable of at Amur and went to Avangard for a much lower salary. Amur could easily have put Yakupov on waivers, given his performance this season, but instead they found the best outcome for everyone. And Avangard, which isn’t among the leading clubs in terms of budget, acquired a great player within the cap.

I would add, if this wasn't predictable (that Yak wouldn't stay with us, not that he would end up in Omsk), I don't know what is...

Reactions: TommySalo

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Avangard isn't "among the leading clubs in terms of budget."? Really? They are what, top-5, most likely?

But in general, I kinda do agree with the sentiment. Yak realized nobody is going to take on his salary because he stinks but he still wanted out of Amur bad enough. Frankly, good riddance by Amur and Ava.. I don't know where do they find a use for him. He went from NHL reclamation project to the KHL reclamation project in few years. What a career trajectory this guy had.

Reactions: Exarz

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
at this point of his career, he's good at shootouts, can one time the puck and that's it. GL in omsk though, i still have a soft spot for him

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Avangard isn't "among the leading clubs in terms of budget."? Really? They are what, top-5, most likely?

But in general, I kinda do agree with the sentiment. Yak realized nobody is going to take on his salary because he stinks but he still wanted out of Amur bad enough. Frankly, good riddance by Amur and Ava.. I don't know where do they find a use for him. He went from NHL reclamation project to the KHL reclamation project in few years. What a career trajectory this guy had.
We might start the toxic hockey dads discussion. His and Kabanov's are prime examples.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Hrubec is the most important player of Kunlun IMHO
Flashy saves aside, his numbers are pretty atrocious, especially compared to Shikin's (hence the "bad team" argument flies out the window). He is a good goalie and he will recover but so far, he hasn't been good and it's hard to call him the most important than the other goalie in the tandem has been legitimately good and able to get the job done so far.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't know how long of a leash was Barys board prepared to give Mikhailis but they have 2 regulation wins in 15 games this season. Both by one-goal margin, 3-2, against Riga and Kunlun (playing their B roster).

They play Sibir (game already over, uninspiring defeat), Sochi, Kunlun and Riga in 10 days now. Can't help but feel less than 4 points in these remaining 3 games will get Mikhailis sacked. Or at least demoted to assistant.

Reactions: Rigafan

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
I don't know how long of a leash was Barys board prepared to give Mikhailis but they have 2 regulation wins in 15 games this season. Both by one-goal margin, 3-2, against Riga and Kunlun (playing their B roster).

They play Sibir (game already over, uninspiring defeat), Sochi, Kunlun and Riga in 10 days now. Can't help but feel less than 4 points in these remaining 3 games will get Mikhailis sacked. Or at least demoted to assistant.
yeah, Mikhailis is on hot seat (at least his son is doing great). if I had to point my finger at one particular player, it would be Frattin. My god, he sucks so bad right now.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Severstal's PP% is approaching 7,5%. Remarkably, they are still well above .500. Sure they don't have many gifted players but damn that's terrible. They still have a couple of guys who should be money in the bank for at least 25 points.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Barys with another really bad loss, 3-0 to Sochi and Kunlun who are in kinda great form are coming to town.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Nah, 0,5 PPG player and liability in terms of possession just like he was with SKA.

Hrubec, on the other hand, is bouncing back after rough start big time with a great 40+ save win against SKA.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Libor Hudacek is doing very well in Nizhnekamsk. As i said at the beginning of the season, he's much more mature player right now. Keep it up, Libor :thumbu:

Reactions: TommySalo

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Anyone here a fan of Dinamo Minsk?
If so, can they give a report card for Kolyachonok?
He's in his rookie season, not worried about the limited offense so far but more curious about his defense so far.
Looks like the team is in a rough patch but they are up 6-0 today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad