Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Ducks Defenseman TOI.png

Having Shattenkirk playing under 20 mins on average I like even with him producing like he has been.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
that -12 sticks out like a sore thumb.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t mean to rain on the parade here but I’m going to anyway. Shattenkirk has 10 points which is great but his analytics are by far the worst among all our regular dmen and are among the leagues worst. His expected goals % is only 32% and his defensive metrics are terrible. He is completely lost in the defensive zone and is getting hemmed in his own end frequently despite only having third pairing responsibilities this year. As the season goes on and his production comes back down to Earth he’s going to go back to being the whipping boy as his mistakes are going to be far more noticeable when he’s not on a hot streak.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don’t mean to rain on the parade here but I’m going to anyway. Shattenkirk has 10 points which is great but his analytics are by far the worst among all our regular dmen and are among the leagues worst. His expected goals % is only 32% and his defensive metrics are terrible. He is completely lost in the defensive zone and is getting hemmed in his own end frequently despite only having third pairing responsibilities this year. As the season goes on and his production comes back down to Earth he’s going to go back to being the whipping boy as his mistakes are going to be far more noticeable when he’s not on a hot streak.
After pairing with Benoit his metrics are actually decent IIRC (needs a closer look). I am checking the SAT on NHL.com here and there and what I noticed was that they stopped falling around the time they got paired.
The very start of the year was very rough for him, yes.

As for trading him, I think we were free to do so in the first year of that contract but now there is NMC or NTC.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
After pairing with Benoit his metrics are actually decent IIRC (needs a closer look). I am checking the SAT on NHL.com here and there and what I noticed was that they stopped falling around the time they got paired.

As for trading him, I think we were free to do so in the first year of that contract but now there is NMC or NTC.
According to CapFriendly, he has a 12 team no trade list.

Reactions: bsu

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

To elaborate on this, it was pretty easy to look up.
Here are games since Benoit plays: Shatty is even above average in shot attempts while he is on the ice (+1) NHL Stats

The worst by far is Steel, followed by Groulx.

So, Shatty might not be the worst after all. Pateryn and Mahura I guess were not doing him any favors. Benoit is just a reliable guy and a good complimentary player for Shatty.

Reactions: bsu

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

They’re better but still not brilliant, his xGF% is still only 45% and his on ice shooting percent with Benoit is 19% which is going to at best halve as the season goes on.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
They’re better but still not brilliant, his xGF% is still only 45% and his on ice shooting percent with Benoit is 19% which is going to at best halve as the season goes on.
Well, I don't expect him to finish with above PPG :laugh:

Not sure how the xGF is calculated, but from shot attempts there has been a clear improvement from him the last few games.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Raw advanced stats with no context can be incredibly deceiving. If you apply context they are incredibly useful. They’re also incredibly useful to look at if a players current production is sustainable long term, they’re the best predictor of future on ice success.

Are they really all that predictive? I haven't taken a real deep dive lately, but the impression I've always gotten is that hockey advanced metrics lag *way* behind other sports in terms of predictivity.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Raw advanced stats with no context can be incredibly deceiving. If you apply context they are incredibly useful. They’re also incredibly useful to look at if a players current production is sustainable long term, they’re the best predictor of future on ice success.

Yeah it’s very useful. The eye test alone shows he has struggled in their own end. But the stats put it into a more detailed perspective and what to expect in the near future if he doesn’t try to adjust.

Imo, He has been lucky not to be scored on more during that time, likely because he is going against lesser competition, like other teams 3rd or 4th lines. His offense he is producing this season outweighs his D concerns now, last season it didn’t, imo. But what will it look like mid-way into the season?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Now 11 points in 11 games. 6 of those points is on the power play which is 1 more then he had all of last season in 55 games played.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

At least for me, this is starting to age prophetically

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Maybe his stats gave him some trade value? Because he’s been shit the last few games. Easily the worst defenseman on the ice

It's been fun watching the chyrons under his name when they show a close up of him over the last couple weeks.

"Leads All NHL Defensemen in Points"
"3rd in the NHL in Points among Defensemen"
"8th in the NHL in Points among Defensemen"

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I like Shattenkirk. I think he is fantastic to have around our young guys. I just think his minutes and role need to be distributed a little more properly and he will be more effective.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad