Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Fine to disagree with him. I do as well. but the dude has been posting here regularly for like a decade or more. Obviously he’s watched them play and has his opinion.

It’s stupid to ask him if he’s seen them play. But to each their own

Like I said, I don't think it is a stupid question. It wasn't meant to be condescending. It was a legit question lol.

To me what he said is like someone saying Getzlaf is still a #1 center. It begs the question...
And I have been posting here for a decade, but I still have had stretches where I hadn't watched a game for a while. It happens.

Lets all just move on. I disagree and I didn't mean to offend anyone by what I asked. We are all fans here <3

Reactions: AngelDuck

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I want to trade Rakell because I have no desire to pay him 6 mil+ a year, which is the minimum he will get on his next contract.
You are acting like Zegras is going to step onto the top line. That is most likely not going to happen. I sure as hell don't want to count on it and act like the Ducks will be ready to compete next year with a full top line of Zegras, Rakell, and a mystery player we are supposed to pull out of our ass without trading Rakell or Zegras.

I am all for making the team better if the piece is a long term piece. Letang is not a long term piece. If his contract was for 4 years then I could see it working. His contract is just short enough that he will leave before the Ducks are ready to compete.

Get some thicker skin then. It is a totally valid question. If you see the standings you may think the Ducks are on the cusp of the playoffs. If you watch them then you see how terrible offensively they are.
The sexy line has been great but they still are not going to be a #1 line on a playoff team, let alone a team contending.

His statement that the Ducks are a couple moves away (Letang being one of them) is just absurd to me.
I don't understand the aversion to resigning good players. I get that there are aging curves but we don't know what future deals are until they're signed. Frankly you don't want to give Rakell 6+ and right now and I doubt he really commands that with the cap situation unless he starts getting back to 60+ pt production at which point hes still worth keep. Cycling players like that leaves teams in a perpetual state up trading good players while they wait on younger players and each time you do it you lose value as you're giving them up for lesser assets. This isn't a forced cap move.
As for for Zegras, I did say in the next 2 years. Seems to me that this kind of suggests he will need time to move into that role. History would suggest that players of the caliber generally start making an impact sooner rather than later when they get to the NHL. I'm also talking hypothetical forward trades or moves as we don't really know who will be available. Imo my argument boils down to this: Start accumulated the pieces you want/need when they become available. There is no reason you cant resign Letang if they did manage to get him and there is 0 question he makes this team better right now. Unless we're trying to tank, and I don't think we should, I see no reason not to do something like that if the price is reasonable.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I want to trade Rakell because I have no desire to pay him 6 mil+ a year, which is the minimum he will get on his next contract.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, and I understand that this is probably the wrong thread to discuss this, but why would Rakell get 6 mil+?

The last two seasons, he scored at a rate of 0.623 points a game which comes out to about 51 points per 82 games. He's scored 43 and 42 over 69 and 65 games respectively. This season, while admittedly small sample size, is 7 points in 16 games which is 0.437 points per game and 36 points over 82 games. Even if his points pick up, he would need to change something substantially to become more than a 40-50 point player.

Essentially, there is no reason for him to be given that much money if he is averaging 51 points or less over 4 straight seasons. The debate about whether to sign him or not is a real one with good points on either side. But if Rakell demands 6+ and continues at his current pace, then it's definitely time to move on. This only changes if he starts scoring like crazy.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Maybe I'm in the minority here, and I understand that this is probably the wrong thread to discuss this, but why would Rakell get 6 mil+?

The last two seasons, he scored at a rate of 0.623 points a game which comes out to about 51 points per 82 games. He's scored 43 and 42 over 69 and 65 games respectively. This season, while admittedly small sample size, is 7 points in 16 games which is 0.437 points per game and 36 points over 82 games. Even if his points pick up, he would need to change something substantially to become more than a 40-50 point player.

Essentially, there is no reason for him to be given that much money if he is averaging 51 points or less over 4 straight seasons. The debate about whether to sign him or not is a real one with good points on either side. But if Rakell demands 6+ and continues at his current pace, then it's definitely time to move on. This only changes if he starts scoring like crazy.

I expect teams to feel the same way about him that we do. If you put him with other top line players they he will be a 70 point guy.
Imagine him with McDavid. I think teams will be will to pay for that.

Look at recent signings:
Bjorkstrand at 5.4 mil
Ryan Pulock at 5 mil
Max Domi at 5.3 mil
Kreider at 6.5 mil
Coyle at 5.25
Zuccerello at 6 mil

Rakell is right in that group now. If he starts scoring like he did 2 years ago then he is worth way more then these guys.

Reactions: Trojans86

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I don’t watch the Red Wings much, but I sure enjoy watching Christian Djoos more than Kevin Shattenkirk.

Not that he is top 4, but I can’t believe we just gave this guy away.

John

Reactions: JohnnyDrama

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Apparently he just had a kid today, maybe he has been distracted but I doubt it. Anyways congrats to him.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I expect teams to feel the same way about him that we do. If you put him with other top line players they he will be a 70 point guy.
Imagine him with McDavid. I think teams will be will to pay for that.

Look at recent signings:
Bjorkstrand at 5.4 mil
Ryan Pulock at 5 mil
Max Domi at 5.3 mil
Kreider at 6.5 mil
Coyle at 5.25
Zuccerello at 6 mil

Rakell is right in that group now. If he starts scoring like he did 2 years ago then he is worth way more then these guys.

I certainly agree that he would be worth more if he started scoring like that. However, it is much more likely that his points totals will remain consistent with the past two years if he remains a Duck. His next contract would probably fall somewhere in the areas you listed of 4.5-5.5 depending on length and context.

If a team wants to take a gamble that he will improve dramatically with more talent, I'm not against trading for good value. I just can't see him hitting 70 points as a Duck this season or the next and therefore his next contract would reflect that.

Regardless, we should probably take this to another thread as it has nothing to do with Shattenkirk.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Had his best game as a Duck last night, imo. This is the Shattenkirk that I wanted to show up. Able to create offense and make the defensive plays when needed. Give him less ice time and not top shutdown responsibility and be will be successful.

Last two games ice time averaged under 20 mins between both games. That’s where he needs to be.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Had his best game as a Duck last night, imo. This is the Shattenkirk that I wanted to show up. Able to create offense and make the defensive plays when needed. Give him less ice time and not top shutdown responsibility and be will be successful.

Last two games ice time averaged under 20 mins between both games. That’s where he needs to be.

This is an issue I think a lot of Ducks players have. Many are playing above where they should be with too much ice time. I think a number of players on the team would be having better seasons if the Ducks had high end players that push everyone down the lineup.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is an issue I think a lot of Ducks players have. Many are playing above where they should be with too much ice time. I think a number of players on the team would be having better seasons if the Ducks had high end players that push everyone down the lineup.

When Lindholm gets back, maybe go with...

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Hankanpaa
Mahura - Shattenkirk

I think Hutton and Larsson have struggled the most.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Outside of the goal I thought he was still mostly garbage. Kept flubbing clears and he looked slower than normal.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Last 5 games...

5 Points (2 G, 3 A) Plus 5 rating

Has also looked better defensively, and if he is putting up points can make up for those lapsed plays in his own zone. But right now Larsson and Hutton have been the Ducks worst D. imo.

Reactions: Kalv

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good stuff!!

56465567-D8E0-4770-B3E7-984988FAF870.jpeg

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I guess he's been good.

:sarcasm:

There were a couple of games at the start of the season where I saw him standing around being confused in the D-zone, but that's not happened since and he's been undeniably key on the 2nd PP unit.

Reactions: Leonardo87

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I guess he's been good.

There were a couple of games at the start of the season where I saw him standing around being confused in the D-zone, but that's not happened since and he's been undeniably key on the 2nd PP unit.

He's still good for a few putrid mistakes a game. The points make those easier to ignore though.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I guess he's been good.

He's still a bad defensive zone D man. He doesn't execute on easy passes and he needs a head of steam to skate out of the zone so he has to at least do a give and go with his partner. It's dangerous. Every time I feel like really admiring him he'll dish a soft backhand saucer to the opposing team after winning a battle. Like clockwork.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is a Shattenkirk post but Cam has also been excellent to start the year. 7 points, +1 and leads us in ice time. He's been great in all 3 zones.

Oh that’s why I cut it off at 10! Lol. I have always been a Fowler supporter and glad he is producing also. I really hope these guys can continue and maybe even get better. I hate seeing the record, they are playing better than that. Just having difficulty closing out games. That should hopefully improve as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad