Who's blowing a 3-1 series lead?

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Never said it was personal either. Not even offended! If hockey was predictable the series would probably be 2-2 right now.

They don't ask how, they ask how many. I'm pumped the Canucks have a chance to close the series at home.
Stealing games is not a bad things. You need to have those in the playoffs.
It simply makes Nashville the most likely team to come back from 1-3 IMO as LA, Toronto, Winnipeg has no chance.
Doesn't mean the Preds will do it.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
If anyone blows it, it has to be Vancouver. They definitely don't deserve to be up 3-1, third string goalie, Elias Pettersson can only be seen on the back of a milk carton, and Quinn Hughes seems hurt. Not to mention Nashville was one of the hottest teams heading into the playoffs. For the rest (Bruins, Avalanche, Oilers, Hurricanes, Avalanche), all seem to be able to close out in 5.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
In terms of chances that it'll happen, I'd rank them as follows

1. Preds/Canucks
  • Purely based on the goaltending situation in Vancouver right now. The series was 7 seconds away from being tied at two already. We know that Nashville can turn it on and run hot, and if the stars align, it's totally possible.
2. Jets/Avs
  • Winnipeg is a really hot/cold team, and when they're on, they're really on. I feel like if Hellebuyck catches fire and the Jets turn on ...the jets... they could make things interesting.
3. Islanders/Hurricanes
  • There's no question that the Canes are the better team, but can the Isles drag them into playing their game? If the Isles start frustrating them and the offense starts dropping off, the Isles have the veteran experience to stabilize both ends of the ice. They've still got a lot of players that made the conference finals a couple times in the last 5 years.
4. LA/Oilers
  • Their last game, LA showed that they can play the type of game that could beat the Oilers. They didn't win, but with a few tweaks and bounces, the offensive side of things could be much more dangerous.
5. Leafs/Bruins
  • There's no denying that the Leafs have the kind of firepower that can turn it on and take over a game once they get rolling. The only question, and it's been the question for a while now, is whether the Leafs have that type of gamesmanship that can rebound from being down 3-1 in a series.

I wouldn't put money on any of them at this point, but if I was held at gunpoint and forced to take one, it'd be Nashville over Vancouver.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

This stat doesn't mean anything it just extrapolated a narrative. 11 out of 17 teams that have come back from 3-1 have been the lower seed.
-This doesn't take in to account how often the lower seed is down 3-1 in the first place. I'd assume because they are the lower seed, they are more often down 3-1. In which case you'd just have to look at the percentage a lower and higher seed come back from 3-1 and determine if there actually is an advantage.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It isn't going to be Avs. Slowly becoming a fan of their team. Heart and Soul. Sarcastic fans though but I can put up with that. LOL

They're a fun team to watch and admire.

No disrespect to the Jets though. I actually feel bad for Jets fans.

Not a chance. The Leafs are the most "woke" team in the league. Bunch of whiny p***yes. I'm a Leafs fan.
You should have seen us when we sucked.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The Bruins seemed really rattled last night when Toronto didn't roll over for them. Some of the quotes coming out of Boston today speak to a nervous room. Saying the right things but it was addressed today.

Toronto wins game 6 they win the series

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
I would have to say Boston after what happened last year and there failure to close it out at home last night and maybe Vancouver because Nashville did a great job stealing game 5 in Vancouver after the missed ENG goal in game 4 cost them from the series being tied.

With that win in game 5 they now return home with a second chance. Has to feel good for Sissons, whom missed that ENG.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Some of the takes in here were pretty wild the scores in the Canes Islanders series was not an indicator of how close they were the Cane's dominated that series more than the Rangers did with Washington.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Down to Boston or Vancouver. Still say none but maybe we get a game 7 at least.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
This stat doesn't mean anything it just extrapolated a narrative. 11 out of 17 teams that have come back from 3-1 have been the lower seed.
-This doesn't take in to account how often the lower seed is down 3-1 in the first place. I'd assume because they are the lower seed, they are more often down 3-1. In which case you'd just have to look at the percentage a lower and higher seed come back from 3-1 and determine if there actually is an advantage.
Took the words out of my mouth. Definitely an interesting concept though, worth looking into.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
2002 Vancouver comes to mind to me for some reason.

Columbus in the first round vs Caps in the year the Caps won the Cup.

Edit : I was wrong about Rangers vs Devils last year. Rangers won first 2 games but didn't lose 2-4 . It went 7 and they lost to the Devils

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad