Kevin Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
Question: Was Hayes projected anywhere as a Center in the NHL? Did he play exclusively wing in college? Was this purely a Ranger idea or were many viewing him as a Center down the road?

I am on old man and have seen lots of players come and go and have seen Ranger fans ohhh and ahhh over plenty of guys who never amounted to much, but this guy has the "it factor".

I doubt we're looking Joe Thornton type production as someone mentioned earlier, but I think we have a stud 2nd line center who will be a "puck posession" machine for many years.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I watched alot of BC games while Hayes was there, Always thought of him as a Winger. Loved his game though, always came away impressed with his smarts and skill.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Question: Was Hayes projected anywhere as a Center in the NHL? Did he play exclusively wing in college? Was this purely a Ranger idea or were many viewing him as a Center down the road?

I am on old man and have seen lots of players come and go and have seen Ranger fans ohhh and ahhh over plenty of guys who never amounted to much, but this guy has the "it factor".

I doubt we're looking Joe Thornton type production as someone mentioned earlier, but I think we have a stud 2nd line center who will be a "puck posession" machine for many years.

He was drafted as a center but started his successful years in college were playing the wing.

tbh he looks like a center to me but needs to get better on draws etc etc

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I watched alot of BC games while Hayes was there, Always thought of him as a Winger. Loved his game though, always came away impressed with his smarts and skill.

i wasn't a big fan initially. didn't like his game at bc. then again,never cared for bc hockey anyway. :laugh:

hes proven me wrong so far, as he's been everything and more. I'm particularly impressed with his patience and smarts. he seems like a pretty intuitive player and for being so young, thats highly impressive.

he moves well for a big guy too.

he could become a really dominant player down the road.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I always mentioned how great he was from the top of the circle in, just always made something happen whether a pass or shot on goal. His size is an added bonus which helps when you think about his reach and his ability to hold the puck.

I never liked Jimmy Hayes, but he has been alot better than I thought, and he's 6'6 220.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
he's a very very good player...the upside on him is tremendous. I love what i see from him.

easily has gone WELL past what I was expecting from him.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
i wasn't a big fan initially. didn't like his game at bc. then again,never cared for bc hockey anyway. :laugh:

hes proven me wrong so far, as he's been everything and more. I'm particularly impressed with his patience and smarts. he seems like a pretty intuitive player and for being so young, thats highly impressive.

he moves well for a big guy too.

he could become a really dominant player down the road.

I wasn't a big fan either when he was at BC. Wasn't overly thrilled when we signed him.

He's definitely proved me wrong

Vickers8

KH seems to generate at least 2-3 very good scoring chances per game

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I'm still not sure about his shot.

Not sure if he has one? Same here, I'm still waiting for him to actually shoot the puck.

Seriously though, when you're a top 9 center and have as many or less shots per game than any of our defensemen that could be a problem.

Needs to shoot a bit more, needs to win more faceoffs. Otherwise he's been awesome.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Not sure if he has one? Same here, I'm still waiting for him to actually shoot the puck.

Seriously though, when you're a top 9 center and have as many or less shots per game than any of our defensemen that could be a problem.

Needs to shoot a bit more, needs to win more faceoffs. Otherwise he's been awesome.

If he makes even a 20% improvement in these areas in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs he will be a star.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hayes got a goal last night. Only 7:41 of ice time. So far has 16 points in 41 games which is good for a 32 over 82 pace.

I think he will continue to improve. People talk about his indecisiveness with the puck. What allows him to be indecisive is the fact that he can stick handle and hold onto the puck in just about any situation. Come playoffs when the games are played much tighter and players have less space, I think we see Hayes shine.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Hayes got a goal last night. Only 7:41 of ice time. So far has 16 points in 41 games which is good for a 32 over 82 pace.

I think he will continue to improve. People talk about his indecisiveness with the puck. What allows him to be indecisive is the fact that he can stick handle and hold onto the puck in just about any situation. Come playoffs when the games are played much tighter and players have less space, I think we see Hayes shine.

I dunno, rookie in the playoffs can get eaten alive in a tighter checking situation and harder hitting games. I'm not as optimistic as you when it comes your take on Hayes come playoff time this year. I see him getting sheltered minutes if there is such a thing in the playoffs and being used like he was last night. I firmly believe the ability is there, it will just take him some time to adapt to a different style come playoff time that is more intense than anything else. Experience cures those woes.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
They leaned on Stepan, Brassard and Moore heavily knowing that they had a week off. Normally that could be a problem, but I had no issue with it last night. They wanted to go into the break on a high note and knew the guys would have ample time to recover.

Hayes scored but I haven't been enamored with his play of late. He, and his line as a whole, needs to generate more shots.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
This sounds dumb to say, I love the kid, but I think he has too much responsibility for a rookie. Of course, that's going to set him up for the future, which I think is really bright, but it's going to hurt the team by and large as the games get more meaningful and the play gets tighter.

I hope I am wrong.

Edit: I am not bagging on him in the least it's just how I feel. I think they're asking too much of him. I like the fact that AV gave him less icetime. Anyhow, they really need to work on his faceoffs. I know in 2-3 years he will be a 55% FO guy but we need it now. lol

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
They leaned on Stepan, Brassard and Moore heavily knowing that they had a week off. Normally that could be a problem, but I had no issue with it last night. They wanted to go into the break on a high note and knew the guys would have ample time to recover.

Hayes scored but I haven't been enamored with his play of late. He, and his line as a whole, needs to generate more shots.

I agree. He hasn't been generating much offense lately. Love his potential but I rather see him on the wing come playoff time.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Does anyone else see him being slower and less sharp? 45 games into his first NHL season after college. He is hitting the rookie NCAA wall.

Or else playing significantly less minutes is slowing him down. Hayes' is used to being on the ice for significantly more than 7-9 minutes a game--many players need to have more time on the ice to be up to speed.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Does anyone else see him being slower and less sharp? 45 games into his first NHL season after college. He is hitting the rookie NCAA wall.

Yup, as was to be expected. But it doesnt help when he is playing with the 4th line either haha.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think he needs a better scorer on his line. He looked good when Stemp was on his wing, and I'd also be interested in seeing Hags and MSL as his wingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad