Kevin Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
We all know how the rule works. I think people are just unclear as to why that poster considers it flawed. Its design is intentional. It has even been tweaked but left more or less intact over multiple CBAs.

Well isn't that the only reason to find it flawed? If someone really, really, really doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him he can choose to go to college, play all four years and then become a ufa and see what his options are.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
His big body, puck possession ability, passing skills and ability to use the first two to make his passing even better are reminiscent of Thornton.

14 points in 33 games for a rookie playmaking center assigned to a 3C role, not bad at all.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Well isn't that the only reason to find it flawed? If someone really, really, really doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him he can choose to go to college, play all four years and then become a ufa and see what his options are.

If a junior player doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him, he can refuse to sign for 2 years and re-enter the draft (depending on his age). If he gets picked again and doesn't want to play for that team, wait another 2 years and become UFA.

It's exactly the same for both CHL and NCAA players. Wait 4 years to become UFA. The only difference is that NCAA players have to wait until August 15th, while CHL players I believe only have to wait until June 1st of their 4th year.

The only reason people make a stink about college players doing it is because there have been more cases where it has happened recently. Tim Erixon didn't want to play for Calgary. If they didn't trade him to us, he would have gone back into the draft.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He reminds me a bit of Artem Anisimov at the same age.

EDIT: I just saw another poster said the same thing. I guess I'm not the only one. I think he will be a 3rd line center but a very good 3rd line center. I do not see him as a game breaker. 20 goal 45 point kind of guy.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey

EDIT: I just saw another poster said the same thing. I guess I'm not the only one. I think he will be a 3rd line center but a very good 3rd line center. I do not see him as a game breaker. 20 goal 45 point kind of guy.

I like this comparison, but he keeps his head up!

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

If a junior player doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him, he can refuse to sign for 2 years and re-enter the draft (depending on his age). If he gets picked again and doesn't want to play for that team, wait another 2 years and become UFA.

It's exactly the same for both CHL and NCAA players. Wait 4 years to become UFA. The only difference is that NCAA players have to wait until August 15th, while CHL players I believe only have to wait until June 1st of their 4th year.

The only reason people make a stink about college players doing it is because there have been more cases where it has happened recently. Tim Erixon didn't want to play for Calgary. If they didn't trade him to us, he would have gone back into the draft.

Players have rights under the CBA. If a player really, really doesn't want to play for the team that drafted them, they're allowed to exercise those rights, but only after a long time period. Most players are going to take the guaranteed contract, complete with signing bonuses, from the team that drafted them. If they blow up their knee tomorrow and can't ever play at the highest level, they don't give a cent back. If the same thing happens to a player not under contract, they get nothing. A career altering/ending injury, while unlikely to happen, is still a huge risk for players who wait out the 4 years.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
defensively and skating i can see a comparison between hayes and arty, but not so much offensively. arty had a great shot when he got it off and hayes hasnt shown that. hayes is also much more patient and can shield the puck very well while looking for a pass, which i never really saw much from arty.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Love hayes and what he's done. I just wiwish he'd shoot sometimes instead of being overly patient until the play completely breaks down.

There was an example of this in the buf game. He had a half open net but waited for the passing lane to open up and it never did. Then again he did have that pretty pass on fasts goal.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Anisimov isn't nearly the playmaker Hayes is. Hayes, as a rookie, is already far superior as a passer than Arty has been in his NHL career.

tjs252

Feb 10, 2007
I was a huge fan of Ani when he was here and I think Hayes is equally if not more so impressive. Great comparison. I do think Hayes' offensive game is more advanced than Ani's was at the same development stage. I'm a huge fan.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I was a huge fan of Ani when he was here and I think Hayes is equally if not more so impressive. Great comparison. I do think Hayes' offensive game is more advanced than Ani's was at the same development stage. I'm a huge fan.

Thats where the hockey sense comes in. Anisimov has a pretty damn good skill set but he is a step slow upstairs.

Hayes is right on point.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Anisimov was a good passer and a good shooter and could handle the puck, he just didn't have much of a mind for offense. He could play both ways but excelled more on the defensive side of the puck.

In order to really be an offensive force you need to be a bit less risk averse than Ani was.

He never would have even attempted some of the passes or dangles Hayes has made.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Anisimov was a good passer and a good shooter and could handle the puck, he just didn't have much of a mind for offense. He could play both ways but excelled more on the defensive side of the puck.

anisimov-getty.jpg

Hayes has been a really nice surprise for me. He uses his size so well, and is surprisingly good on the dangle, especially in the D and neutral zones where such moves lead to clean breakouts. As others have stated, lucking into him makes trading firsts the last couple of years almost irrelevant. It'll be fun watching him continue to develop.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
anisimov-getty.jpg

Hayes has been a really nice surprise for me. He uses his size so well, and is surprisingly good on the dangle, especially in the D and neutral zones where such moves lead to clean breakouts. As others have stated, lucking into him makes trading firsts the last couple of years almost irrelevant. It'll be fun watching him continue to develop.

We would have botched those picks anyway. :laugh:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Precisely what I mean.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

You see his ceiling as a 3rd liner, 25 assist/45 point guy? Right now he's on pace for 22 assists/35 points, even with a slow start. So 33 games into his NHL career he is only going to get a little bit better you think?

Sorry but completely disagree. At worst IMO he becomes a good 2nd liner.

And also to just throw this out, he is playing a hell of a lot better than Kreider did his first year as a rookie at the same age.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is possibly a stupid question, but being a similar size and defensively responsible, how does Hayes compare to Jordan Staal?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
This is possibly a stupid question, but being a similar size and defensively responsible, how does Hayes compare to Jordan Staal?

Hayes is really good with his stick to steal the puck, but Staal was/is touted as one of the better defensive centers in the league, and that just isn't going to be said with Hayes. But he's not going to be a liability out there either.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You see his ceiling as a 3rd liner, 25 assist/45 point guy? Right now he's on pace for 22 assists/35 points, even with a slow start. So 33 games into his NHL career he is only going to get a little bit better you think?

Sorry but completely disagree. At worst IMO he becomes a good 2nd liner.

And also to just throw this out, he is playing a hell of a lot better than Kreider did his first year as a rookie at the same age.

I hope you are right. AA probably had similar stats at Hayes age and is now probably around a 20 goal 45 point guy. I did not say that was his ceiling. I said I see him as a 20 goal 45 point guy. That would be closer to his average not ceiling. I also said I think he will be a very good 3rd line center. Some very good 3rd line centers can probably play 2nd line centers on lesser teams. We can hope for dramatic increases in points but I look at a guys skills more than their points. Kreiders ceiling regardless of points is higher in my opinion.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
When Hayes learns to hold onto the puck just a little less and make a decision a little quicker, he'll be a lethal player.

right now he overhandles the puck A LOT...I know people never want to find fault in promising rookies, but hes got a very noticeable one. I wish he'd make his decisions a lot quicker, because he is so good with the puck...that instant quicker decision making would see an instant huge leap forward in his point total.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The one thing in Hayes that reminds me of Anisimov is both of them practically have to be coerced by means of torture to shoot the puck. :laugh:

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
When Hayes learns to hold onto the puck just a little less and make a decision a little quicker, he'll be a lethal player.

right now he overhandles the puck A LOT...I know people never want to find fault in promising rookies, but hes got a very noticeable one. I wish he'd make his decisions a lot quicker, because he is so good with the puck...that instant quicker decision making would see an instant huge leap forward in his point total.

If that's the most glaring problem your promising rookie has, you're in pretty good shape.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He's been about as good as you could hope, but he needs to start shooting the puck. Great play maker with top-notch vision, but he's passed up on too many chances to put the puck on goal. Eventually teams are going to realize he's not a threat to shoot.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Hayes just needs to be a little more decisive with the puck. He seems to run himself out of room waiting to see if he can make a pass. Sometimes, the best play is to send a hard, low shot on net and hope for a rebound goal. Once he realizes this, watch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad