Kevin Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
One thing about Hayes that I feel like everyone tends to overlook is his ability to create turnovers.

It seems as if Hayes intercepts or breaks up at least one pass every shift. That is an incredibly valuable skill for a team that likes to transition quickly

If I may play devil's advocate here, one thing everyone tends to overlook as well is Hayes' ability to provide turnovers to the other team.

But I digress, hes a young player and Im excited about him. And his turnovers issue isn't as pronounced as Miller's

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
One thing about Hayes that I feel like everyone tends to overlook is his ability to create turnovers.

It seems as if Hayes intercepts or breaks up at least one pass every shift. That is an incredibly valuable skill for a team that likes to transition quickly

His takeaway in the neutral zone started the play that led to Zucc's goal.

If I may play devil's advocate here, one thing everyone tends to overlook as well is Hayes' ability to provide turnovers to the other team.

But I digress, hes a young player and Im excited about him. And his turnovers issue isn't as pronounced as Miller's

They're both players that love to control the puck, they're going to give it away more often than others.

I expect it to tone down from both of them.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
His vision and poise with the puck are very promising. Looks like he has a pretty high ceiling for development as well.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

I know you're just playing devil's advocate, but anyone that was expecting more from Hayes this year just simply has their expectations set way too high. The kid has been great, and he's getting better every game. Signing him was a major stroke of luck for this organization.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hayes has shown extended flashes of brilliance all year. He's had some cold streaks of multiple games, but I agree with Synergy that if expected any more, you had ridiculous expectations. He came straight from college, to a position he hasn't played naturally in two years, to be a contender's 3rd line center. Really happy with him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'll be honest, I never expected him to make the team, and even when he did I thought possibly that was part of the deal that helped get him to sign with the Rangers in the first place.

I very much questioned his skating.

He's exceeded my expectations, and I think the Rangers did a great job by putting him in a role, keeping his line-mates steady for the most part and just living with his face-off % and his giveaways.

Why Miller is not afforded the same, I'm really not sure, I can only think it's because of his penchant for making some really terrible giveaways out of nowhere while Hayes' are more because of pressure/situation.

Oh and last night was the first night I was like, is that Hayes? Like his skating has improved in a very short amount of time.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'll be honest, I never expected him to make the team, and even when he did I thought possibly that was part of the deal that helped get him to sign with the Rangers in the first place.

I very much questioned his skating.

He's exceeded my expectations, and I think the Rangers did a great job by putting him in a role, keeping his line-mates steady for the most part and just living with his face-off % and his giveaways.

Why Miller is not afforded the same, I'm really not sure, I can only think it's because of his penchant for making some really terrible giveaways out of nowhere while Hayes' are more because of pressure/situation.

Oh and last night was the first night I was like, is that Hayes? Like his skating has improved in a very short amount of time.

Hayes just became a pro and they knew that with basic tweaks, he'd make significant progress. Miller already had the basic tweaks and clearly needed more long-term work.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Couldn't ask for more from him without being totally unrealistic. He's been a great add.

Trying not to get too ahead of myself, but I'm really looking forward to him next year coming in with full knowledge and maturity and hopefully some work in certain areas - face-offs being the most obvious.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Hayes just became a pro and they knew that with basic tweaks, he'd make significant progress. Miller already had the basic tweaks and clearly needed more long-term work.

To start the season, I could buy that and I think it was fair especially in hindsight, now when healthy including Fast, Miller should be on the starting roster. Give him a spot, give him steady line mates, and live with his mistakes to a point.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
ive been thrilled with the vast majority of the play from both Hayes & Miller.

The difference between each, to me, is negigible.

Both make idiotic plays, both make good plays. they are remarkably similar in that they both tend to find the puck on their stick A LOT. Thats a good thing. How often does Glass touch the puck? how long does he hold it for more than 1/10000th of a second? Those guys are terrific at puck control...and you know what, you turn the puck over when you do that. it happens. its called maturing.

Our 3rd line looks to be a thing that you can play in the SCF with for sure. LOVE the trio of Hagelin, Hayes and Miller. all 3 guys have the ability to control the puck along the boards, to cycle it, to reset with passes to the D. smart trio. good plays.

you'll get some idiotic ones too..but thems the breaks.

MSL makes just as many idiotic plays as those kids, if not more. and yet he barely touches the puck for more than a few seconds before he turns it over.

i'll take the player that can hold the puck rather than the aging guy who doesnt.

Miller & Hayes with a kid like Duclair could be deadly in a few years. 2 big kids who create time and space for a skill guy like Duclair. *drool*

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Hayes struggles a bit with better teams that take away his ice better than say a team like the Leafs, but that may just be part of the learning process for him. He likes to hang onto the puck a lot but occasionally against teams that really pressure the puck he just struggles a bit to make some plays because he's trying to buy himself more time. He might get better at making quicker decisions or at protecting the puck a bit better in those situations.

Generally though he's on pace for a 33 point season with only getting 12:22 of icetime, that's pretty decent and hopefully the points will go up as AV is more willing to give him more icetime

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Differences between Hayes and Miller this season have been Haye's poise in the defensive zone and ability to move the puck out of the zone really efficiently, Haye's takeaway rate, and that after committing a bad turnover, Hayes doesn't try to force the same play again.

You can say he makes the same amount of turnovers as Miller, but it's not true, and he tends not to turn the puck over in crucial areas of the ice. Before the Dallas game when was the last time Hayes committed a huge gaffe? LA?

They're very different players, and more different in they're personalities. The way AV treats each of them shouldn't be judged in comparison.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Differences between Hayes and Miller this season have been Haye's poise in the defensive zone and ability to move the puck out of the zone really efficiently, Haye's takeaway rate, and that after committing a bad turnover, Hayes doesn't try to force the same play again.

You can say he makes the same amount of turnovers as Miller, but it's not true, and he tends not to turn the puck over in crucial areas of the ice. Before the Dallas game when was the last time Hayes committed a huge gaffe? LA?

They're very different players, and more different in they're personalities. The way AV treats each of them shouldn't be judged in comparison.

i dont really agree with that...I think he makes just as many bad turnovers are Miller does..i think he tends to do his in the offensive zone more, and MIller tends to do his in the defensive zone. Millers look worse because of where they occur, but Hayes makes a lot of bad plays too.

like i said, i love both players, i think NEITHER of them should be benched or judged too harshly.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Considering that 2/3rds of this forum didn't think he'd play 60 games this year and would need Hartford time, it's fair to conclude that he exceeded our expectations. He's definitely a future top-6 player.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Catapulting up the charts of my favorite Rangers... but I'm still worried about how he'll hold up as the season goes on.

So far, so good.

Mine too! Him and Fast. I guess I just like players who exceed expectations, and those two definitely have.

I'm mostly worried about how he'll fare in the playoffs. Hayes seems to hold onto the puck for a second longer than he needs to sometimes, and that may work in the regular season, but not in the playoffs when everything happens faster.

But who knows. He's adjusting well to NHL speed, I think he can adjust to playoff speed as well.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I know you're just playing devil's advocate, but anyone that was expecting more from Hayes this year just simply has their expectations set way too high. The kid has been great, and he's getting better every game. Signing him was a major stroke of luck for this organization.

I agree.

Although I think his future may be on the wing, but we shall see.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
He kind of reminds me a bit of Jason Allison....and that guy put up some huge numbers . Hayes will continue to improve and pack more muscle on....if he could add 15 lbs in the Summer...that would be great .

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He kind of reminds me a bit of Jason Allison....and that guy put up some huge numbers . Hayes will continue to improve and pack more muscle on....if he could add 15 lbs in the Summer...that would be great .

The last thing he needs is more muscle. His strength/size is a non-issue. He needs to work on face-offs.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
i dont really agree with that...I think he makes just as many bad turnovers are Miller does..i think he tends to do his in the offensive zone more, and MIller tends to do his in the defensive zone. Millers look worse because of where they occur, but Hayes makes a lot of bad plays too.

like i said, i love both players, i think NEITHER of them should be benched or judged too harshly.

I'd push back about them being equal, but either way, I think that's a huge difference that even you're conceding. It's not just about them looking worse, they more often than not, are worse.

To be clear, I've loved Miller's season too, and I think Miller has some obvious strengths over Hayes as well (skating, physicality, aggression, finish, etc.). I just think Hayes has been more reliable, more high-percentage, and more efficient with the puck as a three zone player. Hence, why Miller's gotten the shorter leash.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Jason Allison had cement in his skates.

Hayes can move out there.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yeah was about to say........Jason Allison is among the worst skaters in NHL history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad