Kevin Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Hayes has a ton of skill, a ton of patience, and is very very good defensively.

just about the only thing he doesnt do well is shoot the puck
...and i mean that he has opportunities to shoot, but doesnt.

over handling the puck would be another way to put it, but i feel like hes still productive even when he overhandles it.

oh, and he still looks awful when he skates, but like stepan, it works for him.

I agree with what everyone is saying, he's been great, poise and patient, and will be a stud as years go on..

His biggest thing is timing i think. NHL game is so much faster then college, and I think as time goes on he'll be able to shoot better and make more plays quicker. but all in all great start to his pro career.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
This kid has the potential to be the X factor in the playoffs, with Stepan and Brassard going the way they are.

If he can start to win some faceoffs along with the progression of the rest of his game we are going to be trouble.

You mean the rest of the league is going to be in trouble :)

When this kid learns to be more selfish and shoot more, he's going to be deadly. 2C potential AT LEAST; can't believe we got him!

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Reminds me a bit of Anisimov but with better hockey sense.

He already has a solid grasp of how to play in his own end and I've been impressed with how many takeaways he's had so far. I don't have the metrics in front of me but I image the fancy stats love him as well.

I hope he can get a little quicker.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This kid has the potential to be the X factor in the playoffs, with Stepan and Brassard going the way they are.

If he can start to win some faceoffs along with the progression of the rest of his game we are going to be trouble.

Unless he fatigues which is a very possible scenario.

Longterm however I'm super excited because I think we have a really good player on our hands.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Reminds me a bit of Anisimov but with better hockey sense.

He already has a solid grasp of how to play in his own end and I've been impressed with how many takeaways he's had so far. I don't have the metrics in front of me but I image the fancy stats love him as well.

I hope he can get a little quicker.

Much better hockey sense. I can definitely see Arty comparison.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
As long as the Rangers can continue to exploit the flawed free agency rule for college players and sign them, they can continue to trade 1st rounders away for immediate help.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Unless he fatigues which is a very possible scenario.

Longterm however I'm super excited because I think we have a really good player on our hands.

Yeah I hope people aren't surprised/disappointed if he hits a wall by mid-February. The guy has never played in more than 44 games in one season.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Love him but he needs to stop turning down shots when he's in the slot. A problem that is too widespread on this team.

That's been his only issue, which is a fixable issue. He's been so poised with the puck and he generates offense off of smart, little plays. Once he starts shooting more, his numbers should see a good increase

TheLowKreider

Aug 4, 2009
There are lots of factors involved that I'm not taking into account here, but if we had this year's version of Hayes and JT Miller the series with the Kings would look a lot different.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Much better hockey sense. I can definitely see Arty comparison.

Because his hockey sense is so much better, I dont see the comparison at all besides for about the same size and how physical they are.

Hayes is also a much better playmaker while AA had a great shot release (that he never used)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yeah I hope people aren't surprised/disappointed if he hits a wall by mid-February. The guy has never played in more than 44 games in one season.

Been saying this for a bit here. It's why I think the Rangers biggest need is a 3C or a veteran winger with size who can make up for that as he flanks Hayes.

Still don't want to get in a bidding war for Vermette, though...

Coming up on 44 at 33 right now...

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Not overly sure about the Anisimov comparison. I see Hayes skating with his head up and seeing the ice the way Anisimov never did; I remember Anisimov skating with his head down, staring at the ice in a way that Hayes never does.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
As long as the Rangers can continue to exploit the flawed free agency rule for college players and sign them, they can continue to trade 1st rounders away for immediate help.

It isn't a flaw, or some oversight. This rule has been in CBA after CBA, purposely. It's a bargained benefit for the players.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Not overly sure about the Anisimov comparison. I see Hayes skating with his head up and seeing the ice the way Anisimov never did; I remember Anisimov skating with his head down, staring at the ice in a way that Hayes never does.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

The only thing they do that looks similar is their lumbering skating stride. Otherwise, I really don't see it.

Anisimov dangles better, but is prone to get caught puck-watching.

Hayes, on the other hand, keeps his head up and is a much, much better passer and playmaker in general.

Anisimov does have a laserbeam of a shot that Hayes doesn't seem to have. They both have pitifully slow releases though. :laugh:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
His situation reminds me if Stepan. Not his style of play but the coming right out of college and never playing a full season before. Stepan struggled in the playoffs his first 2 seasons and people here were starting to call him a choker. While he hasn't set the world on fire in the playoffs he has gotten better. I wouldn't be surprised if Hayes slows down or hits a wall in the playoffs or end of the season.

However, Richards was our 3C last year and we all know he couldn't handle a full season and playoffs anymore. I'd rather go with the you guy than the old guy

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
You almost have to somewhat assume Hayes might slow down a little bit towards the end of the season after going through the long haul. He will be a difference maker in the playoffs if he is able to maintain energy though.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
He has a great ability to hold the puck and shrug off checkers (along the lines of Jagr, but of course not as good). The game does not seem too fast for him - he makes the plays he wants to make.

And he does have vision. It will be interesting to see how he develops. Hayes is a big plus on Sather's ledger.

Plus you gotta love the shaggy hair.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Play all four years and you become a ufa if you want to.

We all know how the rule works. I think people are just unclear as to why that poster considers it flawed. Its design is intentional. It has even been tweaked but left more or less intact over multiple CBAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad