Kassian/Cernak kicking incident Part 2 (suspended for 7 games)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Kassian was the one who initiated the hold. You can clearly see him grab Cernak's wrist and try to hold him down. At the time he threw the kick, he was free and clear. The entire point here is nobody understands why he would do something so stupid.
How do you initiate a hold?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
not sure what you were watching but ok. Cernak knee he had two Oilers players pinned down on the ice on the play creating a potential odd man rush.

If you don't see Kassian grab Cernak's arm, I'm not sure what you're watching. He wasn't trying to get up. Not until he let go of Cernak, at which point both his legs are clear. Maybe he's kicking him off the other player? That's the only plausible thing, and still incredibly stupid/reckless.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
no it wasn't...Simon on his skates when his "stomped" on Ruttu
both Skinner and Kassian were on their backs

I mean, we're arguing semantics here

We’re not.

Both Simon and Kassian loaded their kicks/stomps and were delivered with force. Skinner already had his skate against Nichols shin pad and just pushed off.

It’s entirely different.

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
In all seriousness what do you think Kassian was trying to do? Perhaps disengage isn't the best word to describe it, but would it not be accurate to assume the player was trying to break free of a hold?

Intent aside, it's still a dangerous play.

He was already free, except his own teammate was lying beside him. Cernik was already up and ready to move away. If anyone was holding throughout the play, it was Kassian. He initiated the pileup and held on. The most you can say about Cernik is that, when it was on, he simply ensured he got up first, because that's how these things almost always happen (you don't want to be the last guy out of the pile and late to the play).

There are people still questioning if there was contact - Kassian and Cernik both said so.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Cernak was clearly still holding him down...

I don't have the technical capabilities, but if somebody can show the frame before the kick, you'll see both of Kassian's legs are clear. Actually you can see it right in sportsnet's youtube still.

His left leg is nowhere near Cernak and his right leg is poised to kick.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Cernak was clearly still holding him down...
Except he wasn't.

You can see both of Cernak's gloves, and both of Kassian's legs were free. Kassian didn't even try to get up.

He kicked him because he was pissed, not in some attempt to break free.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't have the technical capabilities, but if somebody can show the frame before the kick, you'll see both of Kassian's legs are clear. Actually you can see it right in sportsnet's youtube still.

His left leg is nowhere near Cernak and his right leg is poised to kick.
This still is from before he kicked him. Kassian clearly has both hands and both legs free.

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 1.29.59 PM.png

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This still is from before he kicked him. Kassian clearly has both hands and both legs free.

View attachment 320775

Thank you. This is exactly the shot I was talking about.

Any argument that Cernak was holding him down goes out the window right here. Maybe he's trying to kick him off the other player or off his dropped stick, but the, "I was just trying to get untangled" argument is ridiculous. And not even a valid excuse if it were true. Players get tangled up every three minutes--nobody kicks the other guy.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Someone said no one tried to defend the kick/no Oilers fans tried to defend it.

I quoted these directly in response

I quoted those because as you can see, many of them either minimize what happened or outright deny it happened.

Those were on the first 4 pages of the previous thread. There were even more if you continue on.

Then I was attacked for quoting these when the guy asked me to show him these.

One person claimed that his post was out of context but when you look in context the post is meant to minimize how bad Kassian's actions were.

Some of these same posters have since admitted he absolutely did kick. I'm only showing that there were initially some people defending Kassian. Again I did this bc someone told me there weren't (including himself) and asked me to prove that there were

Edit: He's claiming he never asked me to prove anything. Maybe I'm mistaken then but I thought that's what this post was.

Completely bizarre out of context quotes in many cases and opinion interjected to put a spin on it. Didn't get the response he wanted in the last thread, lets try again with a complete re-post of the same drivel.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
In all seriousness what do you think Kassian was trying to do? Perhaps disengage isn't the best word to describe it, but would it not be accurate to assume the player was trying to break free of a hold?

Intent aside, it's still a dangerous play.
You're right. Disengage isn't the best word. Disengagement had nothing to do with what happened. Frustration and anger had everything to do with it. Kassian totally lost it for a second.... as he's done many times before. Your player needs help... serious help.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We’re not.

Both Simon and Kassian loaded their kicks/stomps and were delivered with force. Skinner already had his skate against Nichols shin pad and just pushed off.

It’s entirely different.
Chris Simon not only stomped on Ruutu, he tripped him in order to do it. And this was all done after the play. It could've been filed as an assault, he deliberately tried to injure Ruutu.

Kassian deserves around 10 games but this incident is no where near the Simon incident. That's was a top-5 dirty play in the NHL, right up there with McSorley-Brashear.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You're right. Disengage isn't the best word. Disengagement had nothing to do with what happened. Frustration and anger had everything to do with it. Kassian totally lost it for a second.... as he's done many times before. Your player needs help... serious help.

Yeah. Honestly I don't even think he was trying to hurt Cernak, so it's not like I'm calling for 10 games or anything. He was just frustrated and did something stupid. But it was SUCH a stupid thing that the league has to come down on him. Especially given how clear the video evidence is. You can see beyond a shadow of a doubt that he wasn't being held down at the time he threw the kick.

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Yeah. Honestly I don't even think he was trying to hurt Cernak, so it's not like I'm calling for 10 games or anything. He was just frustrated and did something stupid. But it was SUCH a stupid thing that the league has to come down on him. Especially given how clear the video evidence is. You can see beyond a shadow of a doubt that he wasn't being held down at the time he threw the kick.
I agree, I do not think there was any intent to hurt, but that is an unacceptable action under any circumstances. He needs to know where to draw the line. Pounding people like Tkachuk I support 100%, but this was beyond unacceptable.

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You guys really need to stop arguing with the oiler fans who think Kassian did nothing wrong.

Their blindness due to team loyalty has completely distorted their view of reality and they are inventing what they want to see. You aren't gonna change their minds.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I agree, I do not think there was any intent to hurt, but that is an unacceptable action under any circumstances. He needs to know where to draw the line. Pounding people like Tkachuk I support 100%, but this was beyond unacceptable.
Pounding players while they're lying on the ice and you only stop because the linesmen haul you off, is fine? I thought that's where the "code" drew that line

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Except he wasn't.

You can see both of Cernak's gloves, and both of Kassian's legs were free. Kassian didn't even try to get up.

He kicked him because he was pissed, not in some attempt to break free.
We can agree to disagree. Cernak clearly ran some big time holding/interference on the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad