Kassian/Cernak kicking incident Part 2 (suspended for 7 games)

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
To quote Kassian, that was exactly what he was doing. Funny how if the ref does his job and calls Cernak for the obvious holding/interference, the entire kicking event never happens. Not excusing Kassian at all, just saying how things snowball in games because of terrible officiating. This was more of an avalanche than a snowball by Kassian though.
I mean I won't say the officiating was great, but considering the oilers did not have a single penalty called against them all game, while Tampa had 2, Kassian had no reason to take things in his own hands.

Also, kassian isn't exactly a reliable source. Of course he will say something to make him sound good

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
True but assuming it's 6+ games from them offering an inperson hearing I don't think leniency really matters unless there was a chance they gave him under 6 games if he shows up to show remorse.
They could very well have decided that they are going to give him 10 games and showing up in person, with tears in his eyes and telling George that his dog is dying, his wife is divorcing him, and his children hate him has put him under a lot of stress lately and he just doesn't know what exactly happened because he just blacked out for a second.... could result in an 8 game suspension instead of 10. It could happen... yes?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Do explain how anything I said was wrong, please I'd like to hear this.
Skinner threw a mini hissy fit in frustration because he was pasted into the boards, and he pushed on Nichol's leg with his skate blade.
Kassian did a normal Kassian thing, which was he felt the code was being violated, so in frustration like an enraged toddler gorilla tried to maim the transgressor.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
It doesn't work like that.
It kind of does work like that, though. I think Kassian will have a lot harder time pleading his case, and (although it might not be official), the fact that he decided to just do the phone interview instead of bothering to actually show up could subconsciously affect DoPS ruling.

Reactions: BHD

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Are you a criminal defense attorney because if you aren't you should seriously consider a career change? Slick... just slick. Great spin. If I hadn't watched the video 20 times I'd almost believe you.

It is exactly what he was doing and exactly the wording the league used in the last kicking incident for something similar. Disagree all you'd like but there is precedent for both the kick as well being suspended twice within a short time frame (Tom Wilson) that really prevents the league from winning any sort of appeal if they try and suspend him for more than 6ish games

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Here is the point. IT DOESN'T f***ING MATTER WHAT KASSIAN WAS TRYING TO DO OR WHAT HIS INTENT WAS. IT IS A MATCH PENALTY AND SIGNIFICANT SUSPENSION.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
They could very well have decided that they are going to give him 10 games and showing up in person, with tears in his eyes and telling George that his dog is dying, his wife is divorcing him, and his children hate him has put him under a lot of stress lately and he just doesn't know what exactly happened because he just blacked out for a second.... could result in an 8 game suspension instead of 10. It could happen... yes?

Because I think whether it's 8 or 10 games Kassian is going to appeal anyways and have an independent arbitrator decide the suspension length so him showing up doesn't really change anything

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This incident really buried the news that Cam Talbot, of all people, got a 44 save shutout last night. Too bad Cam. You played great.
Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion about the villainous and cowardly Zack Kassian.

I think that Kassian should get at least 10 games but we are talking about the DoPS so who knows.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Skinner threw a mini hissy fit in frustration because he was pasted into the boards, and he pushed on Nichol's leg with his skate blade.
Kassian did a normal Kassian thing, which was he felt the code was being violated, so in frustration like an enraged toddler gorilla tried to maim the transgressor.

So in other words the first half of your post is suggesting what Skinner did was worse because it was out of retaliation and you followed that up with nonsense, got it

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Poti

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
To quote Kassian, that was exactly what he was doing. Funny how if the ref does his job and calls Cernak for the obvious holding/interference, the entire kicking event never happens. Not excusing Kassian at all, just saying how things snowball in games because of terrible officiating. This was more of an avalanche than a snowball by Kassian though.

Kassian shouldnt bear hug him to the ice next time if he doesnt want to kick players

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Hopefully he gives a tearful apology to Cernak and his Oilers teammates that quickly devolves into him calling Cernak a **ssy

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
It kind of does work like that, though. I think Kassian will have a lot harder time pleading his case, and (although it might not be official), the fact that he decided to just do the phone interview instead of bothering to actually show up could subconsciously affect DoPS ruling.

I mean that could be true or not but at a 6+ game suspension the league has to be more accurate with their ruling because its open to appeal via neutral arbitration.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I won’t and can’t defend this in any way... he deserves 5+ (and the plus could be 20 for all I care) games. For a player to even have the intent to kick another player (especially above the waist) with a skate in just baffles me. I had a friend die due to a skate blade to the throat (totally accidental though). There is just next to no forgiveness with a skate blade injury... almost guaranteed to be something serious.

Reactions: Eisen

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I won’t and can’t defend this in any way... he deserves 5+ (and the plus could be 20 for all I care) games. For a player to even have the intent to kick another player (especially above the waist) with a skate in just baffles me. I had a friend die due to a skate blade to the throat (totally accidental though). There is just next to no forgiveness with a skate blade injury... almost guaranteed to be something serious.
That's tough man... sorry to hear.

Exactly why DoPS needs to be more consistent and ruthless with their discipline. The intention should be as much deterrence as punishment.

Reactions: zar

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Kassian held Cernak down for just as long as Cernak held Kassian down.

It took Kass about 5 seconds to realize that that was a bad thing for the Oilers. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad