Kassian/Cernak kicking incident Part 2 (suspended for 7 games)

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
next time Kass, throw a knee out....maybe give him a headshot

then you'd only miss 2-3 games max

In my opinion he should just play hard and fair since then he is a valuable asset to the team when he does that.
Sounds much better than promoting him to do more illegal things that just keep hurting the team.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I dont agree w the majority on this one, I would give him a game. I really dont think its as bad as the media and posters here are making it out to be wasn't much of a kick at all...

So you are punishing the outcome and not the action itself ?

I don't agree with this and stupid plays will continue to happen in NHL because players are punished on the outcome. You can lay the dirtiest of hits, but if somehow the other player doesn't end up hurt, there's barelly a fine involved. If he ends up dead, you're in trouble.

I know there is a difference between ''murder'' and ''attempted murder'' but in all honesty, it's not because you fail to kill someone that it makes you a less of a bad guy.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
pssst...I answered the question
Politicians answer questions all the time... doesn't mean they actually answer the question. You sound like a politician defending something that was wrong but won't admit it. Instead you bring up totally unrelated stuff to move the discussion off topic.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
So you are punishing the outcome and not the action itself ?

I don't agree with this and stupid plays will continue to happen in NHL because players are punished on the outcome. You can lay the dirtiest of hits, but if somehow the other player doesn't end up hurt, there's barelly a fine involved. If he ends up dead, you're in trouble.

I know there is a difference between ''murder'' and ''attempted murder'' but in all honesty, it's not because you fail to kill someone that it makes you a less of a bad guy.

While I agree its not correct the NHL has kind of brought on that mentality themselves with their rulings and even said it during suspension videos that "no injury resulting from the play" was a factor in suspension lengths.

Reactions: ZDH

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It is exactly what he was doing and exactly the wording the league used in the last kicking incident for something similar. Disagree all you'd like but there is precedent for both the kick as well being suspended twice within a short time frame (Tom Wilson) that really prevents the league from winning any sort of appeal if they try and suspend him for more than 6ish games
Skinners was a push. His skate blade was already against Nichols shin pad and he just extended his leg.

Kassian pulled back first, creating more force and kicked. They’re two very different motions and Kassian’s was much more similar to Simon than Skinner. Especially when you consider the history of players involved.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Politicians answer questions all the time... doesn't mean they actually answer the question. You sound like a politician defending something that was wrong but won't admit it. Instead you bring up totally unrelated stuff to move the discussion off topic.
he asked "what's your point?"

and I answered "the DoPS is inconsistent"

that's literally answering the question lol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Are you a criminal defense attorney because if you aren't you should seriously consider a career change? Slick... just slick. Great spin. If I hadn't watched the video 20 times I'd almost believe you.
In all seriousness what do you think Kassian was trying to do? Perhaps disengage isn't the best word to describe it, but would it not be accurate to assume the player was trying to break free of a hold?

Intent aside, it's still a dangerous play.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Skinners was a push. His skate blade was already against Nichols shine pad and he just extended his leg.

Kassian pulled back first, creating more force and kicked. They’re two very different motions and Kassian’s was much more similar to Simon than Skinner. Especially when you consider the history of players involved.
no it wasn't...Simon on his skates when his "stomped" on Ruttu
both Skinner and Kassian were on their backs

I mean, we're arguing semantics here

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
Kass deserves a suspension, no doubt. But so does Chara. So does Cernak for the headshot.

The consistency in all of this is nuts. Nobody knows what’s suspension worthy any more.

Reactions: ZDH

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Kinda feels like a flames thread in here.

As for him waiving an in person hearing....I remember when McDavid got suspended he made a comment about how he felt like they didn't care what he said and that they had already made up there mind. I bet alot of players feel the same way and wouldn't bother to go to in person hearings anymore.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Kassian held Cernak down for just as long as Cernak held Kassian down.

It took Kass about 5 seconds to realize that that was a bad thing for the Oilers. :laugh:

not sure what you were watching but ok. Cernak knee he had two Oilers players pinned down on the ice on the play creating a potential odd man rush.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
this is as dumb and reckless as it gets... and not to forget that it was incredibly lucky nothing serious happened.... personally I would throw the book at Kassian

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He wanted to rejoin the play though. Maybe just squirm like a worm with no foot movement until he’s able to break free
Or maybe just try and stand up?

Both Kassian's legs were free when he kicked Cernak in the chest.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Kass deserves a suspension, no doubt. But so does Chara. So does Cernak for the headshot.

The consistency in all of this is nuts. Nobody knows what’s suspension worthy any more.
He was suspended though

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In all seriousness what do you think Kassian was trying to do? Perhaps disengage isn't the best word to describe it, but would it not be accurate to assume the player was trying to break free of a hold?

Intent aside, it's still a dangerous play.

Kassian was the one who initiated the hold. You can clearly see him grab Cernak's wrist and try to hold him down. At the time he threw the kick, he was free and clear. The entire point here is nobody understands why he would do something so stupid.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Kinda feels like a flames thread in here.

As for him waiving an in person hearing....I remember when McDavid got suspended he made a comment about how he felt like they didn't care what he said and that they had already made up there mind. I bet alot of players feel the same way and wouldn't bother to go to in person hearings anymore.

yeah I think everyone realizes the entire system
is a joke and the hearing is just a formality.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah. He was trying to disengage. Exactly like Skinner's
Except Skinner was lying on his stomach with his head down, had his skate already against the player and pushed off without looking.

Kassian was looking directly at Cernak when he pulled his leg back and kicked him in the chest. Neither one is great but Kassian's is more intentional than Skinner's was.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad