Kassian/Cernak kicking incident Part 2 (suspended for 7 games)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Almost sounds like the same bunch defending Giordano's kneeing or Chara's cross checks.
Fans have a blind spot for their team and the players. Funny thing when you take the glasses off you realize that every team has their share of dirty players, the Oilers are not different there at all. Kassian deserves whatever punishment the league dishes out. My only wish is that the league itself would find some level of consistancy.

This does not excuse Kassian because this play is just dumb but if the league and the refs enforced the rules properly I wonder how much of this stuff would just stop happening?
There's reckless, there's dirty, and then there's totally lost your marbles. Guess which category I'd put Kassian in?
Which category do you think the highly respected (2009 and 2019 Norris winners and highly respected long before that) Chara and Giordano belong in?
Yes... some fans do have blind spots when it comes to certain players on their own teams (although that certainly doesn't seem to hold true in most cases when players are discussed on the team's home board - if you want to see players get torn apart... that's usually the place to read it) but to try to downplay the seriousness of an action so reviled in the hockey world is just ridiculous (not accusing you of doing this... you're not) and just goes to further reinforce what people think of another fan base (even though the offending parties are generally in the miniscule minority).
Kudos to fans calling out their brother fans when they are being ridiculous and are just plain wrong.

As for your comment about the refs... I'd like the linesmen to be given the power to call all penalties whether they be major or minor. Its ridiculous that the linesman, who was right there when it happened, wasn't able to call that a penalty. Give the refs the ability to overrule the linesman, but at least give the linesman that ability to put his arm up and make the initial call at the time. Stuff just happens too fast in today's game for two refs to see everything. Plus its more difficult to "manage" a game when you have 4 people calling penalties instead of 2.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Setting the over/under at 8 games.
Dumb play by Kassian.

Any one know if there’s any other angle that shows the skate making contact? Or just the one angle where the skate is hidden because of the angle.

Disclaimer: this is not me saying there is an angle that shows that the skate didn’t hit the Tampa player.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
5-6 games depending how likely the league feels it'll get appealed, any higher than that I think Kassian appeals and wins based on the Skinner suspension

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Setting the over/under at 8 games.
Dumb play by Kassian.

Any one know if there’s any other angle that shows the skate making contact? Or just the one angle where the skate is hidden because of the angle.

Disclaimer: this is not me saying there is an angle that shows that the skate didn’t hit the Tampa player.
Does it really matter if contact was made?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
How often has a player waived their right to an in-person hearing?

Kassian likely can't be bothered, he knows he's cooked either way.

All that's left is for Parros to make up his mind and announce the punishment.

The completely arbitrary way that suspensions are handed out, though, it wouldn't surprise me if this is happening right now in the league office:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think there are certainly mitigating factors.

Not huge mitigating factors, but they are there. Notably, Cernak wasn't injured, and it's reasonable to assume that he's trying to rejoin the hockey game and stop having a melee 100 ft from the puck.

I think you take Skinner's 2 games, multiply that by four or five for suspension history / notoriety / bad press the play is generating, then you give him 1 or 2 games back because even though he made a **** choice, he's trying to go play the game (factor two; acting with recklessness and negligence is better relatively speaking than acting with premeditation and intent) and he has no chance to kick if Cernak isn't ****ing with his skates or the official looking right at the play calls Cernak for holding two Oilers players away from the puck for over three steamboats (factor three; aggravation).

It's the same as a murder trial; there is no arguing that Kassian had a guilty action (Actus Reus), but you can certainly argue that he didn't have the guilty intent to hurt Cernak, and rather he made a negligent choice while thinking about other stuff such as "Tampa's top line and the league's top scoring defenceman currently have a 4v3 in front of my net, I need to go play defense." Kassian isn't for sure guilty of murder murder, but he's for sure guilty of manslaughter. You know what I mean?

I suspect the DoPS will have already taken that into account in their intended suspension length. Might have been more clear if I had said new or underappreciated mitigating circumstances the DoPS hadn't accounted for.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
He's getting 6+ for sure due to the in-person hearing.

It might end up being 8-10 IMO.

In person hearing opens up the possibility of 6+ but doesn't guarantee it. That being said usually in person hearings do result in 6+ so thats why I'm saying 6 games. 8-10 games is too much and I don't see how the league can present an argument to rationalize that number to an independent arbitrator if it gets appealed based on the Skinner suspension

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Someone said no one tried to defend the kick/no Oilers fans tried to defend it.

I quoted these directly in response

Except one player felt it
The other didn’t even notice

So a Lightning player held onto Kassian's stick and held down Archibald leading to a 4 on 3 situation in the Oilers zone and got kicked at (contact is NOT confirmed). Did some people honestly call for a 5 game suspension? That's cute.​

Yeah thats a really bad angle for an objective view. Kassian was likely trying to free his leg or get off the ice and the kick just happened​

Is the punishment worse if you did stab me or intended to stab me?​

tampa player never budged and his jersey didn’t even move. Would like to show the angle that shows how his skate never touches him again.​

Did the TB player complain to the ref? Seemed like he barely noticed
I called it a dumb play already, but I’m not throwing the book at him​

How badly injured is the TB player?​

Skate never touches the Tampa player. Bad angle, Kassian is just trying to get his leg free.​

You'd almost have a point if Kassian kicked this guy last year and blew out his jugular.

I quoted those because as you can see, many of them either minimize what happened or outright deny it happened.

Those were on the first 4 pages of the previous thread. There were even more if you continue on.

Then I was attacked for quoting these when the guy asked me to show him these.

One person claimed that his post was out of context but when you look in context the post is meant to minimize how bad Kassian's actions were.

Some of these same posters have since admitted he absolutely did kick. I'm only showing that there were initially some people defending Kassian. Again I did this bc someone told me there weren't (including himself) and asked me to prove that there were

Edit: He's claiming he never asked me to prove anything. Maybe I'm mistaken then but I thought that's what this post was.

I was won of them?

Where is the quote of what you claimed I said? Why not just post it if it exists?
Stop making things up, it looks really bad on your part.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
How often has a player waived their right to an in-person hearing?

Kassian likely can't be bothered, he knows he's cooked either way.

All that's left is for Parros to make up his mind and announce the punishment.

The completely arbitrary way that suspensions are handed out, though, it wouldn't surprise me if this is happening right now in the league office:

Will Paros be annoyed or even pissed off because Kassian can't be bothered to show up? .... particularly since this will be the 2nd time in 5 weeks that he's been called on the carpet? To me it shows that Kassian doesn't give a damn about what the DoPS thinks or does.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Someone said no one tried to defend the kick/no Oilers fans tried to defend it.

I quoted these directly in response

I quoted those because as you can see, many of them either minimize what happened or outright deny it happened.

Those were on the first 4 pages of the previous thread. There were even more if you continue on.

Then I was attacked for quoting these when the guy asked me to show him these.

One person claimed that his post was out of context but when you look in context the post is meant to minimize how bad Kassian's actions were.

Some of these same posters have since admitted he absolutely did kick. I'm only showing that there were initially some people defending Kassian. Again I did this bc someone told me there weren't and asked me to prove that there were​
Again you’re going off on a weird tangent to try and deflect from you willfully misquoting me

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Will Paros be annoyed or even pissed off because Kassian can't be bothered to show up? .... particularly since this will be the 2nd time in 5 weeks that he's been called on the carpet? To me it shows that Kassian doesn't give a damn about what the DoPS thinks or does.

It wouldn't surprise me if this sentiment is shared by a lot of NHLers right now, again given how inconsistent the DoPS has been with their rulings.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Amazing detective work.

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
What i dont understand is why did the meathead kick the guy instead of just pounding away on him. Its not like he cares if the other guy is fighting back or not. Also for the first half of the take down it was Kassian holding down the tampa guy. So it seems like its only fair for him to hold someone down. I think his past has f***ed his brain up to much for him to make rational decisions. Once he sees red all beats are off as to what actions he will take. He is a bully who cant take what he dishes out.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Per McKenzie most players decline the in person hearing. It's easier / cheaper to not fly out to league head quarters.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I dont agree w the majority on this one, I would give him a game. I really dont think its as bad as the media and posters here are making it out to be wasn't much of a kick at all...

Reactions: deeb

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Amazing detective work.
Thank you. Personally I think its another stupid move by Kassian. It will likely result in a stiffer sentence. He should have put on his best suit and showed up for the hearing and showed repentance and shame and apologized to their faces.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
In person hearing opens up the possibility of 6+ but doesn't guarantee it. That being said usually in person hearings do result in 6+ so thats why I'm saying 6 games. 8-10 games is too much and I don't see how the league can present an argument to rationalize that number to an independent arbitrator if it gets appealed based on the Skinner suspension
He was suspended only a month ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad