Confirmed with Link: Kasperi Kapanen traded back to Pittsburgh - Part II

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Hard to say but time will tell. He needs to find chemistry with Sid or Malkin. I kind of view him as a tweener between that 2nd or 3rd line.

Hopefully for you guys he comes out with a chip on his shoulder and gels with one of the big two.

Wishful thinking but as a Penguin he's destined to come here and blow out his knee and have reoccuring issues each season so we never get to see what he does. :sarcasm:

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think if you had to rank our wingers right now, Kapanen would probably be fourth.

Obviously Guentzel is at the top, then probably Zucker, then I'd go with Rust, then Kapanen. I think there's a chance Kapanen out produces Rust and maybe even Zucker but the other intangibles they bring defensively I think outweigh whatever slight offensive edge in production Kapanen might bring.

Reactions: Jacob

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I think if you had to rank our wingers right now, Kapanen would probably be fourth.

Obviously Guentzel is at the top, then probably Zucker, then I'd go with Rust, then Kapanen. I think there's a chance Kapanen out produces Rust and maybe even Zucker but the other intangibles they bring defensively I think outweigh whatever slight offensive edge in production Kapanen might bring.

Kapanen isn't going to outscore those guys. He doesn't have the hands or shot. Most of you here aren't going to like this comparison, but the guy he's closest to as a comparable is Pascal Dupuis lite. He has great wheels, great on the forecheck and good on defense. He doesn't have Dupers slapper but their hands are both similar. Kapanen's best attribute is being a force on the PK and on the forecheck. He creates a lot of chances because of his speed and fetching after the puck.

I'd rank our top 4 wingers:

Guentzel
Zucker
Rust
Kapanen

I'm kinda torn over who is fifth. I could argue either way for Tanev or Hornqvist and it's really no slight to either guy. One doesn't get played as much as he should and the other doesn't get played in situations that would be best for him and the team.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Does anyone else remember when Olli Maatta was crucified under Pontus Aberg in the ‘17 SCF (I think Game 2)?

Too bad Aberg is kinda useless now.

Yes. My rccollection is that he had an overall good series in addition to that defensive abomination. Unfortunately, at 27, he appears to have evolved/peaked at NHL/AHL tweener.

Reactions: Rossi Rat

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Kapanen isn't going to outscore those guys. He doesn't have the hands or shot. Most of you here aren't going to like this comparison, but the guy he's closest to as a comparable is Pascal Dupuis lite. He has great wheels, great on the forecheck and good on defense. He doesn't have Dupers slapper but their hands are both similar. Kapanen's best attribute is being a force on the PK and on the forecheck. He creates a lot of chances because of his speed and fetching after the puck.

Guentzel
Zucker
Rust
Kapanen

I'm kinda torn over who is fifth. I could argue either way for Tanev or Hornqvist and it's really no slight to either guy. One doesn't get played as much as he should and the other doesn't get played in situations that would be best for him and the team.

I haven't watched KK play that much, but I never remember thinking his hands were that bad. And if he has only a smidgen of mitts, he would have more than Dupuis.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Despite the Toronto consensus he is not a top 6 forward. Every time I saw him on TV he was making something happen and was a presence on offense. He to me has upside as to his maturing and using his skill set to be a top 6 forward. I don't like the trade as to the cost, but understand the reasoning to add a young emerging forward under control for three years. Plus GMJR knows Rust simply can't handle the load over a full season. He wore down and without a top RW to limit his TOI, he is not big enough to take the grind.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010

Guentzel
Zucker
Rust
Kapanen

I think Rust is going to have a typical Rust year next season.

I mean don't get me wrong, if he keeps producing like he did this season I'll take it, but I think he's going to be 15-20 goal scorer and 30-40 point player again. I think Kapanen will be a 20-25 goal scorer and probably a 40-50 point player, same with Hornqvist. Guentzel is a 30-40 goal scorer and 70-80 point player and I think Zucker is probably good for 20-25 goals and 50-60 points.

I like Tanev but to me he's only a 12-15 goal guy and about 25-30 points. He brings other intangibles, but I think production-wise he's right there. Honestly, looking at that top-six and figuring is Crosby and Malkin are both healthy, they'll both be 30+ goal scorers and over point-per-game players, that's not a bad. Factor in you have a 20 goal scorer with Hornqvist on your third line and a double digit goal scorer in Tanev on your fourth line, that's a pretty good group of forwards. The issue is producing when it matters, something they haven't had for the past two seasons.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
We just paid 15th OA and Hallander for Kapanen.

The only other value in the deal on our side rests on the hope that a 23 year old D-man can take the next step, but in the AHL last year Warsofsky was arguably better.

Its likely an improvement for next years team, but it is really hard to like in terms of asset management.
Additionally it does nothing to “change” anything on the team. But I suppose there’s time for that still. Just a scary proposition with how it seems JR always - or pretty much always - overpays.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
We just paid 15th OA and Hallander for Kapanen.

The only other value in the deal on our side rests on the hope that a 23 year old D-man can take the next step, but in the AHL last year Warsofsky was arguably better.

Its likely an improvement for next years team, but it is really hard to like in terms of asset management.
Additionally it does nothing to “change” anything on the team. But I suppose there’s time for that still. Just a scary proposition with how it seems JR always - or pretty much always - overpays.

it fill our biggest roster hole for a B prospect and a mid rd 1st.

if we can find a way to get rid of our buggest roster wart, we’d really be in business

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

I don’t hate the player I hate the deal. Way too much asset value to give up for Kapanen and he’s more likely than not to be a good 3rd line player for us.

If we were going to deal that first round pick we had way too many other needs as a higher priority for the team.

That said, he’s not done doing surgery to this team but he crippled his asset cupboard at what he could give to make other deals.

Reactions: Andy99

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Thats going to be the going rate for a too 6 wing with who has multiple years of control.

If you dont think Kapanen is or can be a top 6 winger, then i can understand why people dont like the deal. But that price isnt out of line for what they believe he will be here.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Thats going to be the going rate for a too 6 wing with who has multiple years of control.

If you dont think Kapanen is or can be a top 6 winger, then i can understand why people dont like the deal. But that price isnt out of line for what they believe he will be here.

Even if you believe he can be a top 6 winger, which he never stuck as one in Toronto and was only played there during injuries for the most part we didn’t need another winger or top 6 wing.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Connor Sheary and Don Simon say hello.

Say hello to what? That proves my point. Sid likes playing with who he likes. If he has his way he’ll be playing with Simon and Kapanen will be on the 3rd line.

An upgrade on wing is a nice to have but not a need. We have other needs.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Say hello to what? That proves my point. Sid likes playing with who he likes. If he has his way he’ll be playing with Simon and Kapanen will be on the 3rd line.

An upgrade on wing is a nice to have but not a need. We have other needs.

My point is it our single biggest need. The only others even in the race are 3c who is more of a want than a need and finding a way to rid our self of Jack Johnson which isnt an acquisition to be made but a guy to get rid of.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd rather run with Simon on Sid and Jake's wing than whatever we're planning to run with as our 3rd line. The 3rd line is awful, and needs serious retooling--starting with a significant acquisition to set an identity/style, be it a 3C or a winger.

JJ is the biggest hurdle we have to clear though, and until we have a new coach and a new GM, I doubt we'll do anything.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Hard to say but time will tell. He needs to find chemistry with Sid or Malkin. I kind of view him as a tweener between that 2nd or 3rd line.

Hopefully for you guys he comes out with a chip on his shoulder and gels with one of the big two.

Chip on his shoulder isn't going to fix his tunnel vision, in fact that might make it worse...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Kapanen is still young. He’s entering only his 3rd full NHL season, so it’s not unreasonable to think that there’s still room for development. But on paper he looks like an ideal winger for Sid: fast, defensively responsible, moderately skilled. People won’t like to hear this but JR could’ve even flat-out asked Sid if he thought he’d fit on his RW. And if it doesn’t work we can go back to Rust there and put Kapanen with Malkin. Kapanen is absolutely a top 6 winger though, production-wise.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Chip on his shoulder isn't going to fix his tunnel vision, in fact that might make it worse...

That was the knock on Rust.

Maybe Kapanen remains what he is. But Rust hit a career year after several seasons in the league when given the opportunity.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kapanen is still young. He’s entering only his 3rd full NHL season, so it’s not unreasonable to think that there’s still room for development. But on paper he looks like an ideal winger for Sid: fast, defensively responsible, moderately skilled. People won’t like to hear this but JR could’ve even flat-out asked Sid if he thought he’d fit on his RW. And if it doesn’t work we can go back to Rust there and put Kapanen with Malkin. Kapanen is absolutely a top 6 winger though, production-wise.

Yep. His floor is pre-breakout Rust. And none of us had an issue playing him with 71 entering this season.

40ish ES pts is 2nd line production all day.

Reactions: Factorial and Jacob

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I really hope Dubas doesn’t somehow flip our pick for a good player. It’s bad enough that we essentially took their cap hit but we also sent them one of our better prospects too.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I really hope Dubas doesn’t somehow flip our pick for a good player. It’s bad enough that we essentially took their cap hit but we also sent them one of our better prospects too.

Meh, who cares? He has already f***ed over his organization with his lackadaisical contract negotiation skills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad