Confirmed with Link: Kasperi Kapanen traded back to Pittsburgh - Part II

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I had never heard of this Kapanen doesn't have hands thing until last week. I always thought of him as talented, but young and inconsistent.

So I always thought they should split up the 'skill' guys (Guentzel, Kapanen) and the 'grinder' guys (Rust, Zucker).

4 games after 5 months off aside, I don't think you can break up Geno-Rust after the season they just had. At least not for a good long while.

So that's always led me to wanting:

Zucker - Crosby - Kapanen
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust

I might not know Kapanen well enough though, so I'm not going to fight anyone on that. Geno-Rust is the only thing I don't think they should mess with.

Don't post those lines. You will be attacked by the other posters of living in "fantasy land" with Guentzel off Crosby's wing.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Don't post those lines. You will be attacked by the other posters of living in "fantasy land" with Guentzel off Crosby's wing.

personally i would start with jake-Geno-Rust and zucker-sid-kk. There is no doubt the chemistry sid and guentz have. But we can't discount how jake and geno tore it up while sid was out, AND zucker looked a lot better with sid. Lastly Rust works with Geno a lot better as well.

Just seems like a no brainer to start there and see how it goes.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Rust with Geno.

Who cares where Jake goes as long as both lines put up goals.
I am down to put Kapanen with both centres. To be honest I think he can work with both.

Right now I am not worried about our top 9.

Defense though is scary at times I'm hoping we can hide the weak defensive players.

Reactions: ownal

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Well, judging by the fact Sullivan never reunited Gunetzel-Malkin-Rust in the playoffs even in desperation mode, unfortunately, I think it probably is fantasy land :laugh:

Unless of course Sullivan gets the ax.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It seems like our whole forward group is set to me. 4th line of Tanev - Blueger - Lafferty (over ZAR IMO). Simon - McCann - Hornqvist is a fine 3rd line.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
It seems like our whole forward group is set to me. 4th line of Tanev - Blueger - Lafferty (over ZAR IMO). Simon - McCann - Hornqvist is a fine 3rd line.

I'm still not convinced with McCann as our third line center.

He has like a 46% faceoff win percentage and he seems to be better on the wing. I'm fine with keeping him around, he actually was decent when he was our second line center, but for whatever reason he just didn't seem to fit what we need at third line center. I'd much rather see Blueger as the third line center, but would really prefer if they signed Haula.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006

"I scored 27 goals in 55 games and all I got was a lousy t-shirt"... joke aside your forward depth look real good now:

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Crosby - Hörnqvist
Tanev - McCann - Kapanen
Simon - Blueger - Aston-Reese
Poulin - Lafferty

PS. What happens with Nick Bjugstad?

Last edited:

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
"I scored 27 goals in 55 games and all I got was a lousy t-shirt"... joke aside your forward depth look real good now:

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Tanev - McCann - Kapanen
Poulin - Lafferty

man that 4th Line is PUKE worthy

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
McCann is being shopped since Kap is the young speed winger getting that 3+million term. Kap is RW RH shot that benefits Sid and has the speed to back off the D to give Sid more space. Zucker to me can be a good LW who has to be a better player in tight circles. Jake with Malkin clicked and with Rust that line is also very good. Tanev Bjugstad Horny if kept could be a surprise kind of line. Simon if he had better skills offensively would be perfect but his inability to finish limits his options. I like Reese with TB and Lafferty as the Pens have to give that line opportunities as well. If I thought McCann was a up and comer LW, I put him with Sid for north south line with KAP and speed to burn. Zucker can be moved for cap purposes and picks/prospects.

Genetic

Oct 21, 2009
I for one am glad sid will have a right handed winger on his line (who isn't rust).

Edit : unless sully and the new gang makes some typical brain dead move and has kap on the 4th line.

How about Zar - Sid - Simon. :skeptic:

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Tanev - McCann - Kapanen
Poulin - Lafferty

Simon is not going to be on the 4th line if healthy. He will be stapled to Sid's wing, as Sid wants him there. Sid doesnt like Horny playing with him, so that wont work. He would also much rather have Jake than Zucker, so there is that as well. They have to keep captain happy and give him players that he wasnt to play with, even though those lines havent worked for playoffs at all. This means Zucker will be with Geno, which again didnt really work so far. And then you have BART line, which Sullivan had a hard on for, so they will be back again. Meanwhile Kap will play on 3rd line, suck, and then be relegated to dog house and healthy scratched lol.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Curious, I'm a leafs fan and I liked Kappy and had hoped for him. Want to know how he's doing in Pittsburgh since I don't follow your games. What lines? he on and where does he look best at?

Guys got a ton a speed and determination.. just needs to work on his finish some more.. his speed will open up the ice for other players and he's a dangerous PKer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Curious, I'm a leafs fan and I liked Kappy and had hoped for him. Want to know how he's doing in Pittsburgh since I don't follow your games. What lines? he on and where does he look best at?

Guys got a ton a speed and determination.. just needs to work on his finish some more.. his speed will open up the ice for other players and he's a dangerous PKer.

He's with Zucker and Malkin right now. We haven't seen him on the PK much. He has been a solid addition for whatever line he has been on.

I honestly haven't seen any lack of creativity in his game that the Leafs fans consistently bitched about. He's a straight line player with some nifty hands and way more awareness than we were sold.

Reactions: Vegeta

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
He's with Zucker and Malkin right now. We haven't seen him on the PK much. He has been a solid addition for whatever line he has been on.

I honestly haven't seen any lack of creativity in his game that the Leafs fans consistently bitched about. He's a straight line player with some nifty hands and way more awareness than we were sold.
Leaf fans get a bad rep, a lot of kids posting as well I think.

Kappy is a player with tons of potential which is why the price tag was high, he won't get you 30g but with the right linemates he can hit 20g or close to consistently ( with the right linemates.. he isn't much of a line driver his a good 2nd line winger).

He will improve the rush of a line and button hook to set up the zone entry. He's got good vision but his finish was an issue. He's a good player. With that said both teams won that trade, leafs needed something else and had a lot of the same thing, the Russian kid we picked up with the 1st round pick looks good and so does the prospect.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Leaf fans get a bad rep, a lot of kids posting as well I think.

Kappy is a player with tons of potential which is why the price tag was high, he won't get you 30g but with the right linemates he can hit 20g or close to consistently ( with the right linemates.. he isn't much of a line driver his a good 2nd line winger).

He will improve the rush of a line and button hook to set up the zone entry. He's got good vision but his finish was an issue. He's a good player. With that said both teams won that trade, leafs needed something else and had a lot of the same thing, the Russian kid we picked up with the 1st round pick looks good and so does the prospect.

Yeah, I have no issue with Leafs fans although much like PIT fans a certain sect overreact to everything.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Kapanen now at nearly a PPG through 6 games. Didn't expect that.

I said over the summer that I considered Kapanen as good as Rust and Zucker and wouldn't be surprised if any of them finished with the most points. That is why I was fine with the trade because I considered Kapanen an equal player to those two but younger.

After seeing all the pieces I will say now if this team doesn't succeed it will be due to injuries or the core not able to perform at a high level. The winger depth is strong. The bottom lines are fine and the defense has all the pieces needed to have a good top 6 with depth behind them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->