Confirmed with Link: Kasperi Kapanen traded back to Pittsburgh - Part II

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I don’t know what else JR has up his sleeve, but Kasper alone certainly doesn’t make this team any more of a contender.

Unfortunately, there are too many holes to fill at all positions and not enough money or assets to use to fill them. This team would have to pull an absolute unprecedented and historic run against all odds to win another Cup in the Sid and Geno era and they just don’t have the horses.

A big problem is that there is too much damaged goods throughout the lineup to get any sort of legitimate returns for them.

JJ...lol

Murray...eh

Letang...Nope

Geno is the only piece likely to get a big return but I certainly don’t want him to go...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This isn't about trading a great draft pick and a decent forward prospect. This is about trading those assets for a guy that's very likely to end up on our 3rd line if/when he doesn't work out with Sid.

I love Kap, and I'm stoked he's a Penguin, but not at that price. That's f***ing absurd. He's been known to be a cap casualty for Toronto for months, and we paid out the ass for a chance to play him on Sid's wing for like 10 games before he's firmly locked in as the 3RW. :laugh:

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Other thing to consider regarding mentality of future vs "go for cups now screw absolutely everything else" is that I'm fairly certain the current owners will be looking to sell the team the morning after Crosby announces his retirement. Then it could be good if you know, the team isn't a complete hopeless mess with little to no future...

Just a thought even if a minor one.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Penguins just posted Kapanen will wear #42.

Looking like we'll see this:

59 - 87 - 42
16 - 71 - 17

OR

16 - 87 - 42
59 - 71 - 17

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I remember he looked really good with Matthews on the RW when Nylander was holding out. It seems like he always was on his bad side with Tavares and even Matthews when Nylander came back. Wonder if that’s totally true, it would explain his poor top six analytics.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Unfortunately, there are too many holes to fill at all positions and not enough money or assets to use to fill them.
Are there? Are there really?

The roster, right now, ignoring RFAs, isn't full of holes. I count 3, arguably. You need a bottom pairing defenseman (ideally 2... but whatever). Big whoop. Depending on your opinion of McCann, maybe acquire a 3C.

Murray and/or McCann can be used for both, and if you can offload Bjugstad then it opens up even more space to play with.

Take a step back from the ledge and actually look at the lineup. It's not as bad as you think

Reactions: CallArnoldSlick

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
42 is a gross number

Beats reminding me of Ian Moran.

Answer_to_Life.png

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Watched the interview/media session with Kap on SN.

I dunno. I'm starting to sway towards this being a good trade. Kap calls himself a two way player first and foremost. If he can bring that element to the top 6 (Simon, Sheary ain't that) with his outside speed and be a bit of a pest, I think the offense will be there to justify the trade and spot in the top 6.

I'm cool with 20ish goals with spot duty on the PP. If he hits more than that, this trade is more than fair.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd like the team more if we had him doing that on purpose. It'd be like the old days of Stevens and Trottier chirping everyone.

Yeah I'm not big on intangibles. But a good chirp has to get to you. They're humans, not robots as analytics would have you believe.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I remember he looked really good with Matthews on the RW when Nylander was holding out. It seems like he always was on his bad side with Tavares and even Matthews when Nylander came back. Wonder if that’s totally true, it would explain his poor top six analytics.

Hard to say but time will tell. He needs to find chemistry with Sid or Malkin. I kind of view him as a tweener between that 2nd or 3rd line.

Hopefully for you guys he comes out with a chip on his shoulder and gels with one of the big two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad